Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 6:53:01 PM EDT
I am looking to purchase a 1911. This will be my first one. I noticed in an earlier post by Silverstate, he mentioned the SA Mil-spec for $390. Does anyone know who sells these for this price? The SA site lists MSRP as considerably more. Thanks, Nick
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
one of the local ranges here has the GI model for 515.00, and a friend of mine picked up a stainless mil-spec for 690.00, tax included. Don't overlook the Rock Islands either, a lot of people trash them, but they are great guns for the money, 425.00 at the local funstore.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. A lot of top gunsmiths use it as a base gun for customizing. Check Gunbroker.com and Auctionarms.com
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw one on GunsAmerica for $390 and you can find them on Gunbroker for about $10 to $20 more.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. A lot of top gunsmiths use it as a base gun for customizing. Check Gunbroker.com and Auctionarms.com

+1 on SA.  Even a bad one has a quality frame and slide, and if it's not perfect from the box, SA will rectify it.  Try getting a Rock Island fixed under warranty.  There's a reason people trash them.  While many are good, many are pretty sad, and some are so completely out of spec as to be unrepairable.  

Trust me on this, when getting into 1911s, you will eventually be tempted to get your gun customized/individualized.  With the SA, you have a great base gun for custom work.  The best you can hope for from a Rock Island Armory is an average gun, while there is a distinct possibility that you will get a POS with no customer service to back it up.  There are plenty of used SA's for $400 or less.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]
For $400, I don't see how you can go wrong with a Springfield GI .45.  Put the lifetime warranty into consideration and you can't lose.  It will be the basic of basic, but it's the heart and soul of many multi-thousand dollar customs out there.  It was my 3rd 1911 and I left it totally stock for a true "1911" feel.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, get the SA Mil-spec. Can't go wrong. I love mine and it is still stock. Great guns for the price. Got mine for $440 brand new.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Auto Orsnance quality has gone way up now that they are no longer out of west hurley NY.They have a mil-spec copy thats marked US ARMY MODEL 1911A1,its parkerized with plastic grips and is hefty,nice feeling pistol  for under $500.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I concur with everyone's opinion about the SA line of pistols.   The lifetime warranty alone should be enough reason.
Read closely what hobbs5624 has written.

Beware of the Rock Island Armory ones.   YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay, new ifo:

The guy on GunsAmerica supposedly selling the Springer 1911 Milspec for $390 (B&H Gun Rack Inc.), he does not have the gun in stock - says it is "backordered".

I found this out by taking my own advice.  I wrote him an e-mail telling him I would take it.  He responded that it is on backorder and if I want him to let me know when he gets one...

I reported the gun sold on GunsAmerica because you cannot sell what you don't have in stock.

So nevermind with GunsAmerica.  However, Gunbroker does have one for $400.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

However, Gunbroker does have one for $400.

Att: jdman
Fair price, get it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the responses guys. This has helped ALOT! Hopefully, I will be the proud new owner of a 1911 before long. Hope to be spending alot more time here. Thanks again. Nick
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Ditto on the GI Spingfield.  Had on, great starter pistol, and if you want to customize it, as hobbs said, frame and rail are allready good to go.

Good luck, and enjoy your new toy.

Travis
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Consider a Norinco for a basic start up gun. They are FORGED STEEL like a 1911 should be.

You can pick them up for less than $400.

I have never had a problem with the two I own.

Oh, and anyone who gives you that "built in China traitor crap" really isn't thinking things through.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Consider a Norinco for a basic start up gun. They are FORGED STEEL like a 1911 should be.

You can pick them up for less than $400.

I have never had a problem with the two I own.

Oh, and anyone who gives you that "built in China traitor crap" really isn't thinking things through.

I see no logic in getting a Norinco when you can get the Springfield.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you all again for all the responses.  I did a little shopping around today at some local places. I found two Springfields GI's, a 4 inch barrel for $479, and a Micro compact 3 inch barrel for $439. I also found an Auto Ordnance GI 5 inch barrel for $410 and a High Standard 5 inch barrel for $359. Does anyone know what the quality comparison is between Springfield and the High Standard and Auto Ordnance? I would like to buy locally. There are better prices on Gunsamerica, but once I pay shipping and transfer fees there really won't be that much difference. I was really impressed by the two lower priced guns, especially the High Standard. Seemed to be a good gun for the money. Thanks again in advance for the advice. Nick
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I myself would hold out for a full size GI Springfield.

Like was said before, you get a quality forged frame and slide, it's American so you get a warranty if you need it, and Springfield is a much more experienced and trusted brand than the others listed.

It's also a very excellent base gun. In due time, you will probably want to modify it, and using cast components makes it kind of illogical to dump money into, if you chose to do so.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Like was said before, you get a quality forged frame and slide, it's American so you get a warranty if you need it, and Springfield is a much more experienced and trusted brand than the others listed.

It's also a very excellent base gun. In due time, you will probably want to modify it, and using cast components makes it kind of illogical to dump money into, if you chose to do so.

Olds I agree with holding out for the full size Springfield...however aren't some of them made in Brazil?

ETA: Not claiming to be any kind of expert on the subject, however I have heard people talk about Springfields being made in Brazil
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Olds I agree with holding out for the full size Springfield...however aren't some of them made in Brazil?

They are made in Brazil and I do not believe that it is forged steel. It is Cast steel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Some of the frames and slides are made in Brazil. Besides saying Brazil on it, there's no difference. The final machine work and assembly is still done here in the US.

Besides maybe the high cap's frame, all SA's are forged, to the best of my knowledge, and their claims.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Springfields are forged.  This guy has the Mil-Spec GI for $407.99:  http://ak-47man.com/SpringfieldHandguns.html

His prices are good for all his Springfields.  Sportingarms.com usually has good prices as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:06:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thank you all again for all the responses.  I did a little shopping around today at some local places. I found two Springfields GI's, a 4 inch barrel for $479, and a Micro compact 3 inch barrel for $439. I also found an Auto Ordnance GI 5 inch barrel for $410 and a High Standard 5 inch barrel for $359. Does anyone know what the quality comparison is between Springfield and the High Standard and Auto Ordnance? I would like to buy locally. There are better prices on Gunsamerica, but once I pay shipping and transfer fees there really won't be that much difference. I was really impressed by the two lower priced guns, especially the High Standard. Seemed to be a good gun for the money. Thanks again in advance for the advice. Nick

That milspec NIB Springfield 1911 for $400 on gunbroker, no one bid on it and it was not relisted.  Assuming you pay tax in your state, you will not find a better deal.  Shipping is about $20 and the transfer fee is about $20.  So for $440 total, you would have a forged frame and a forged slide milspec 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top