Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 9:03:51 PM EDT
I want to send my Spring field Armory 1911 to their Custom Shop to be refinished. Which one is better ?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Black-T

The only place that does Black-T is the company owned by the person that invented the finish, Walter Birdsong.

W.E. Birdsong & Associates Inc.
1435 Monterey Rd
Florence, MS 39073

(601) 939-7448

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
In terms of durability, Cobra Kote, by Tripp Research, is pretty strong, and Tripp has an excellent turn around time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Black-T

The only place that does Black-T is the company owned by the person that invented the finish, Walter Birdsong.

1435 Monterey Rd
Florence, MS 39073

(601) 939-7448

I have sent of my 870 to be done in Green T.  There's a two month turn around time (minimum) but I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Black-T

1435 Monterey Rd
Florence, MS 39073

(601) 939-7448

I have sent of my 870 to be done in Green T.  There's a two month turn around time (minimum) but I'm looking forward to it.

Walter does these in batches. It depends on what he's doing when he receives your gun. Shortest turnaround time is about one month, longest about 3 months. It is definitely worth the wait. I recently had a ADCO/RRA 1911 refinished in Black -T, all but the trigger and barrel. Absolutely fine work, I love the way it turned out. I would not hesitate to recommend him. When you call the person that answers the phone is Walter, not a secretary or receptionist, which is very cool. He'll ask if this is the first time you've placed a refinish order with him. If you say yes, he will take the time to explain the process and performance of the finish in detail and answer any questions you may have. A true gentleman who just happened to come up with a great finish.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two guns finished in Black-T, and the see plenty of use. The finish holds up very well, and is aesthetically pleasing. Black-T is definitely the way to go.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recently had a ADCO/RRA 1911 refinished in Black -T, all but the trigger and barrel. Absolutely fine work, I love the way it turned out.

So where are the pics?

Sorry, no pics. One of these days I'm going to get a decent digital camera (rather spend the $ on guns though ). Both of the ADCO/RRA 1911s I purchased from you (great pistols) were sent for refinshing. The one to Mr. Birdsong, the other to Virgil Tripp. Had them harchrome it and polish the flats on the slide and frame. Also absolutely fine work, looks great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top