Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 3:21:09 AM EDT
Looking for a 1911(had one in the Marine Corps 1966-1972) would like to have something close to what ever that would have been. Don't know much about handguns and would like some direction on this subject. Any concerns on the finish on the Kimber? Is the finish durable? The model of Kimber I may want is "The Desert Warrior" or "Warrior". Or any other model. Some HELP please....
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want something like what you had when you were in the service, a Kimber isn't it.  Kimbers are far better than a standard USGI 1911A1.  However, if you want one of the best non-custom 1911s around, Kimber is an excellent choice.  If the price is acceptable, The Desert Warrior is a fantastic model.  It's well made, has a very nice finish that is quite durable.  In my opinion, you can't go wrong with a Kimber.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want the military type, look for an old Colt or check out the SA Mil-Spec.
As for Kimber, I have two, never had a problem with either one.
If you buy a Kimber, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
To answer your question......

YES!!!

Travis
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my kimber BP Ten II. Its reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the $390 milspec SA 1911 is a good deal for those that want something like the original 1911.  However, I would rather carry a Kimber Warrior (providing you can get a good holster to work with the front rail and/or light).  So to answer your question, yes, Kimbers are worth owning, but not quite like what you were issued.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Marine's just picked up a Kimber contract.  It's new, and it's tradition.  The only way you can go wrong with a 1911 is if it says Llama, or .38 super, anywhere on it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#9]
yes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I purchased a new Kimber Pro-Carry 2.  On the first range trip, it choked fairly often on WWB 230gr FMJ.  By the second range trip, it started choking once it got dirty - the first hundred or so rounds went alright.  I am just shy of the 500 round break-in period, and am hoping that the reliability problems go away soon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:23:04 AM EDT
[#11]
IMO they're the best "mass produced semi-custom" 1911 on the market.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my Kimber!  

I have about 500 rounds through it so far, and not a single hiccup!  It's taken a healthy dose of FMJ as well as HP's, and has never hesitated for a second.  It even seems to like both my light and my heavy reloads of HP's.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#13]
These guns are no fun when your in the class that's being held up by the temperamental Kimber.  It's happened to me twice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I normally hold my tongue but....

I have seen a few Kimbers choke lately.  Granted one of them is a 9mm.

This glorification of Kimber reminds me of "Glock perfection"

Shoot a lot and around a lot of people you will see representitives of all manufacturers fail.  I have seen plenty of Glocks choke up.

What bummed me out was my buddy who has a brand new Raptor that chokes 3-4 times per hundred rounds.  sent it back to be fixed.

I am not saying don't get a Kimber,  they make great guns.  Just have realistic expectations.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone who puts Kimber in the same sentance as a USGI 1911A1 deserves Flogging, especially if they are claiming the Kimber is somehow better. The day a Kimber runs 60, 70 or 80 years, I will believe it. TOOL STEEL BABY, TOOL STEEL. The Kimber is much more up to date, is new with a warranty, some are so damn tight they need a case of ammo to "break in" are probably more accurate with a heck of a better trigger pull. [remember govt spec called for a pretty heavy trigger, 6 to 8 pounds was pretty normal] and better sights  but actually better? NAAAAA, just newer..

If you want a GI one look for a GI one, you will probably end up with one anyways. Or will wish you did.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you want Old USMC

.......you want a Colt 1911 WW/1 Replica
www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/images/1911WWI.jpg

If you want the Current USMC

.........the Kimber Warrior is your closest bet.
www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/special-eds/2005-Summer/medium/DesertWarrior_left.jpg

I second the WW1 Reissue also. Or a new S-70. They are sweet and close to a USGI but with better triggers, sights and throated for HPs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#17]
My single Kimber experience has been mixed.  I carry a Ultra Carry II that has something like 3,500 rounds through it.  Broke the ejector a while back, but had neglected a recoil spring change so that was probably my fault.  Next time out the mag release broke.  Both times Kimber fixed it no charge.  Pretty darn good service, but MIM parts are not tool steel.  I'd say they are a very good value for the money.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I am not a rider on the Kimber Bandwagon by anyone's definition; I have experiences with only one Series II model, the Tactical Custom (alloy framed 5").

This gun has never failed to operate reliably.  It is possibly the most accurate 1911 I own.  I know I can hit what I point it at, something I can't always say about some of my others.

I will not be surprised in the least if I eventually experience parts breakage, in fact I'm kind of looking forward to it.  But nothing's happened yet.

The only real complaints I have are that the thumb safety is too easily engaged and disengaged, and the bluing on the slide is a bit thin.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Like anything else they can be a "mixed bag".  I suggest finding a lightly used series I Kimber.  I have owned an Eclipse Pro II that had problems through 1,000 rounds, I had a smith fix it & then I promptly sold it.  I also have a series II stainless target in 9mm and it's been perfect since the first round fired.  I have a series I Royal Custom that's a great firearm & I trust it in all situations. If you want perfection & are willing to pay for it cal Ted Yost, it's well worth the cost.  However, if you're willing to "spin the wheel" buy a new Kimber.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#20]
My two complaints about Kimber have always been the external extractor and the firing pin safety.  The Warrior has neither of those.  It looks like a good buy.  I like the thumb safety better than the Springfield and the sights stand out better.  There's still something that just doesn't seem right to me about Kimbers, but I can't put my finger on it so I've decided to just drop it and say its a good gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There's still something that just doesn't seem right to me about Kimbers, but I can't put my finger on it ...

Yeah, me too, though I don't know what ghey rollmark & FCS it could be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top