Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 7:00:26 PM EDT
Is it difficult to work on on of these?  I am thinking of higher beavertail, bobbed hammer, match trigger/barrel.  I would also like to do an OD Green finish.  Oh yea, new sights too!  Should i just try it, or send it out?  Also, did I forget anything?

Thanks everyone

Travis
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of people try to smith their own 1911's, but few succeed.  Anyone can fit a beavertail, but few make it look OK.  Barrels are much harder.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, I just find somewhere to send it out.  Sure dont want to screw it up!

Thanks
Travis
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt that you need a BBL, thats a waste of money that could be spent elsewhere on the gun, I don't think I have ever really seen a crappy colt BBL in and of itself. Before you do it or you send it off decide what you want first. Do not call up smiths and "How about" them. You might be unhappy with what you end up with. You can always do more down the road but some inhancements are not reversable. I've gone 180 degrees from 10 years ago and prefer close to stock now, funny thing is that I shoot them just as well as the one's that wore the kitchen sink. Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I know for sure that I need to do something about hammer and beavertail, dont know if just a bobbed hammer would stop the bite I get, or if I will need a high grip beavertail to stop it.

I know I need to research wich sites I want, dont really need new ones,  just want something cooler.

For sure want a better trigger, maybe not match grade, but I need it tuned up or something.

You are probally right about the barrell.

And I deffiniteley want the OD Green with black accents.

I need a new ejector or xstractor(sp?), so might as well do everything else while the smith has it.

Thanks for the input and if anyone has any suggestions, please lets have 'em.

Thanks
Travis

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know for sure that I need to do something about hammer and beavertail, dont know if just a bobbed hammer would stop the bite I get, or if I will need a high grip beavertail to stop it.

I know I need to research wich sites I want, dont really need new ones,  just want something cooler.

For sure want a better trigger, maybe not match grade, but I need it tuned up or something.

You are probally right about the barrell.

And I deffiniteley want the OD Green with black accents.

I need a new ejector or xstractor(sp?), so might as well do everything else while the smith has it.

Thanks for the input and if anyone has any suggestions, please lets have 'em.

Thanks
Travis

I  have a 1911 A1 with standard tail,but bobed combat hammer!! No bite at all and it'sin 10 mil!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea, I am going to try that first.  I think just bobbing the hammer would do it.  The grip feels fine, so I would only want the beavertail to prevent bite,  as said before if chopping the hammer will do it, good 'nough for me!

Thanks

Travis
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is it difficult to work on on of these?  I am thinking of higher beavertail, bobbed hammer, match trigger/barrel.  I would also like to do an OD Green finish.  Oh yea, new sights too!  Should i just try it, or send it out?  Also, did I forget anything?

Thanks everyone

Travis

Removed comment because I am trying to be a kinder, gentler Rebel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Just about any good 'smith will offer something called a "reliability package" of some sort.  It usually involves tuning the extractor, smoothing and improving the trigger pull, perhaps replacing the internals and making sure the slide stop functions as intended.  If you got this, plus a beavertail, you'd be in good shape.

You might also want to consider sending it to Springfield Armory.  They have a number of packages, including a "loaded" package that will get you these, plus a refinish and new sights.  The sights themselves are a hassle because your Colt doesn't have a dovetail front sight.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks cliffy and SGB, I appreciate the info.  I sent it to a local smith and should be getting a quote this week.  when I do I'll run it by you guys to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.  I appreciate all the helpfull responses.

Thanks

Travis
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top