Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2005 2:39:17 PM EDT
I saw it in a gun magazine at the store, they said it is affiliated with Century Arms International, it said they start at $299 for a standerd mil-spec. G.I. model. I'd buy 1 or 2 right now if I knew where to get them, but no one's heard of them around here yet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Be wary about the quality of anything from CAI.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
They are made in the Philipines - website here.

Probably about the same quality as Rock Island Armory 1911s, also made in the Philippines, as are Charles Daly 1911s. Lots of cast parts. Century markets them, that's all. They have no hand in production, just importers. There are reviews and discussions on the Charles Daly and RIA .45s if you want to see what kind of pistols are made in the Philippines. I've never had one, so can't state an opinion. I doubt they could be worse than the Llama 1911 I had.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My Rock Island Armory has been excellent after about 700 rds of use. It has been reliable and accurate. My only complaint is that they followed the specs on the 1911 so well that I get my web pinched if I forget to bring a band-aid along to the range. I paid $269 at the gunshow a year ago and it was money well spent.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet it's still better than a Llama
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bet it's still better than a Llama

Damn Llama was a jam-O-matic, from the minute it left the box.
Actually they have been making 1911s in the PI since WWII, quite a large arms industry there.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#6]
See, I'm the kind of person who likes to tinker, I bought a Llama Mini-Max from Wal-Mart in '98/'99 (before they quit selling hand guns), it was a jam-o-matic indeed, the only gun I've ever seen that could fire a round, then get the brass back into the chamber backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!I noticed marks on the brass, the chamber had deep machine marks in it, I went over it with a dremmel to polish it, feed ramped it, now it runs as well as my Springfield, no kidding!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:01:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I looked at one at my local store and was not that impressed. They wanted about $335 or so for it and they only wanted about $400 for a SA GI. I will take the G.I. any day. It is just my opinion though. It just did not seem to fit together that well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#8]
It's rather scary that there are people that buy these pistols and trust them with their lives.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:37:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
See, I'm the kind of person who likes to tinker, I bought a Llama Mini-Max from Wal-Mart in '98/'99 (before they quit selling hand guns), it was a jam-o-matic indeed, the only gun I've ever seen that could fire a round, then get the brass back into the chamber backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!
I noticed marks on the brass, the chamber had deep machine marks in it, I went over it with a dremmel to polish it, feed ramped it, now it runs as well as my Springfield, no kidding!

And I hate people like you, the ones that turn lemons into bargain gems! I don't have the patience. Such a simple fix, too, but you have to be to deduce what it happening.

This funny as hell:

the only gun I've ever seen that could fire a round, then get the brass back into the chamber backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's rather scary that there are people that buy these pistols and trust them with their lives.

Ever been in the military? Just think about that the contract winner is always the lowest bidder! I felt great in the fact that my vest was made by the lowest bidder!

I own a Charles Daly, I may have paid a little too much up front, but now I would trust it as well as my Beretta. I have replaced all of the internal parts.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
it said they start at $299 for a standerd mil-spec. my nuts G.I. model. .

Century also has a link to "colt" rifles which directs you to a Cali-legal AR knockoff (VAR or some such nonsense). I believe the 10-rd fixed mag "VAR" to be as much a Colt rifle as much as I believe those "V1911s" to be mil-spec.

If you buy a Corvette for $8,000 expect problems. That's exponentially true for firearms.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever been in the military? Just think about that the contract winner is always the lowest bidder! I felt great in the fact that my vest was made by the lowest bidder!

I own a Charles Daly, I may have paid a little too much up front, but now I would trust it as well as my Beretta. I have replaced all of the internal parts.

I am retired from the military.  21 years and so many months of faithful and loyal service. Although I don't see what that has to do with this.  With regards to your statement about the lowest bidder getting the contract,     and that somehow THAT is a bad thing,  don't forget that there are military specifications, stringent military specifications that even the lowest bidder MUST follow.  So your subtle hint about the lowest bidder being subpar, really, as a debating point, has no validity.  

About your Charles Daly...   Funny thing, but you said you might have paid too much for it,  but trust it now as well as your Beretta....   Is this before or after you changed all the internal parts???  Would you have trusted it as much before the major surgery??  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If Shooters Arms is made by Armscor, like the Charles Daly and Rock River Island, then I'd guess it is mil-spec, as Armscor is the issue .45 for the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines).

One thing about the Armscor pistols:  The closer they are to plain vanilla, it seems, the better they work.

Not everyone can afford an Ed Brown, but at least these don't have the ejector epoxied in!

If I could find Rock River 1911's for the price of Rock Island's, I'd be a happy man.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
About your Charles Daly...   Funny thing, but you said you might have paid too much for it,  but trust it now as well as your Beretta....   Is this before or after you changed all the internal parts???  Would you have trusted it as much before the major surgery??  

Yes, the parts had to be replaced due to it going F/A. It hasn't had any other problems. I say I may have paid too much due to lack of knowledge. I still didn't pay over $400 for it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the parts had to be replaced due to it going F/A. It hasn't had any other problems. I say I may have paid too much due to lack of knowledge. I still didn't pay over $400 for it.

And now we go full circle regarding my original statement:  It's rather scary that there are people that buy these pistols and trust them with their lives.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#18]
delete
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Actually they have been making 1911s in the PI since WWII, quite a large arms industry there.

which is funny as hell as PI's govt HEAVILY restircts guns over there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top