Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 7:30:56 AM EDT
I'm gonna be coming home for a vacation in a few weeks, plan to buy a 1911 while I'm home. I'm torn between two extremes: I'm looking at the Springfield GI and the STI Ranger II

Before the arfcom signatue answer is thrown out, don't worry - I probably will get both sooner or later. THIS is my dilemma - is the extra fit and finish of the STI really worth it? Can the much "nicer" gun do anything that the "rougher" one can't? This is gonna be an all around piece, mostly range time and carry. I guess my tightwad tendancies are striking - y'all got any advice?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
i have a kimber custom II. its a great gun out of the box it is one of the most accurate gun i have ever owned. kimber's slides and frames are numbered together so that you have a matched gun from start to finish. i can say that kimber has a customer for life. great gun and a good price. i would take a look at them. just my opinion though. i could be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I had an STI edge back when I was serious about IPSC. The quality and fit are unbelievable. I wasn't impressed with the finish. With what I paid for it the finish should have been durable as hell. A friend of mine has a STI Trojan in 40 and it is superbly accurate. These guns are just too much money for me. I'm just going to troll the used gun racks for series 1 Kimbers.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i have a kimber custom II. its a great gun out of the box it is one of the most accurate gun i have ever owned. kimber's slides and frames are numbered together so that you have a matched gun from start to finish. i can say that kimber has a customer for life. great gun and a good price. i would take a look at them. just my opinion though. i could be wrong.

Springfields slides and frames are numbered also.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at the Smith 1911's before you buy.  I have had mine for 6 months now, and its great.  500 rounds, and not a single failure of any kind.  I know that's not alot, but I like it.....$679 not too bad on the price either.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
THIS is my dilemma - is the extra fit and finish of the STI really worth it? ?

IMHO, yes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I had an STI edge back when I was serious about IPSC. The quality and fit are unbelievable. I wasn't impressed with the finish. With what I paid for it the finish should have been durable as hell.

Wow, first time Ive ever heard an IPSC shooter talk about the durability of a blued finish on a gun they were using
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It wasn't an issue until I needed to sell it. For $1700+ it should have been more durable. Next time, Hard Chrome!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Take a look at the Smith 1911's before you buy.  I have had mine for 6 months now, and its great.  500 rounds, and not a single failure of any kind.  I know that's not alot, but I like it.....$679 not too bad on the price either.

link?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my STI Trojan.  I got it from Dawson Precision for under $1000 shipped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top