Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 9:50:36 PM EDT
I saw this on another forum. Does anyone have any knowledge of Mccormick mags beating up the inside of aluminum frames Kimbers? I have a series 1 Pro Carry that I love. I haven't yet noticed any damage, but I use Mc magazines almost exclusively. Also, is this just a problem with mccormick mags? Would USGI mags do the same thing? I really can't afford to get the Wilson mags right now. Maybe the followers and springs.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard and read here that CMC mags will damage aluminum frames. That said, I used to run them in my Pro carry(series one) without any problems. However I did not shoot it very much at all so I don't know what effect high round counts would have. Also I don't believe that its only CMC mags, but any with a metal follower.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Any magazine utilizing the stepped follower design could damage an aluminum frame as the follower tilts forward.

Be well!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The factory mag will do the same thing as it has a metal follower at stated earlier. The only time the follower comes in contact with the frame is when the magazine is empty. The only time wear will be caused is after the last round in a mag. and when you eject the magazine. These are the only situation in which the follower has an opportunity to rub agaisnt the frame. I have 5 Chip Mccormick mags for USPSA that I use in my Tactical Pro II. Wear is negligable. These people talking about increased wear are probably practicing reloading with empty mags. In that case all you need is one dummy round in the mag to prevent increased wear. I say increased because unless the magazine body is made of Aluminum or a metal softer than you will experience wear. Not to mention. Wear marks ad character. And will notice on the feed ramp that after a few thousand rounds the anodizing will wear. if you are worried about it that much get some mags with the teflon of plastic followers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem isn't the overall wear, it's the wearing of the finish on the aluminum.

As soon as the finish wears, it starts a nasty snowball effect in that area.

It's the same reason you don't want to polish the feed ramp on a aluminum pistol.

Just buy some wilson's and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Or just buy a steel frame 1911. They shoot better anyway.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one of each and they both shoot equally well. The Pro Carry II, and a S.A. full size loaded.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top