Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 9:47:42 PM EDT
I bought 3 new Colt Defender/Officer mags from CDNN. I took them to the range Saturday along with my recently aquired SA Mil-Spec Ultra Compact to test it out. Gun worked great with both SA and Colt mags. One of the Colt mags had a major failure. I inserted a freshly loaded mag released the slide and then fired my pistol. At some point while the muzzle rose the baseplate on the Colt Mag was literally launched, the spring shot out, and then all the remaining ammo fell out. It kinda scared me at first because I had no idea what had just happened . Anyways the welds just weren't done very well I guess. I emailed CDNN and haven't heard back from them. If I contact Colt should I expect a replacement? The welds on the other 2 Colt mags look pretty crappy as well. Also it is IMPOSSIBLE to load the last round in the SA mag. I've had mags hard to load but this one will have to be adjusted to reach full capacity. I guess this will just be a range gun until I have better mags.

I didn't think it was ammo related as there was no damage to the gun, and it felt and sounded normal when it happened.  I only shot Federal American Eagle 230gr ammo at the range.  I didn't recover the case as there were a couple hundred of my cases in the same general area making finding it difficult and I had to get going.  So what gives?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I own a SA Micro and have not ahd any magazine problems.  I took the original 6 rounders that came with the gun and installed the Wilson conversion springs and follower.  They are not 7 rounders and are quite reliable.  They are not difficult to load either.  I also have 2 Wilson 7 round mags that have also been very reliable, but they stick out of the bottom of the gun.  I keep them for range use and as spares with my carry package.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have not had any problems with my defender mags that came with mine. The welds look fine. I did buy another mag that was a wilson. Did this mag come with the defender or was it a replacement?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top