Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 10:29:49 AM EDT
My Pro Carry II came back from Tripp Research, where it was hard chromed and Cobra Koted, and the front strap was grooved.  I cannot speak highly enough about Tripp Research.  Turnaround time was about two weeks.  I had a different vision for this gun at first, but Mr. Tripp actually talked me out of some work that he thought would compromise the integrity of the aluminum frame.  It was very refreshing to talk to a vendor who was more concerned with what would work best as opposed to what would cost most.  

Here is the before pic:

One of the after pics:

And a few more here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn sweet. I see that it is quite a shooter. Mine is too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet! Tripp Research is the bomb!
They did a top-notch job on my Kimber, quick turn-around too.
If you're looking for hard chrome. they are the place.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I am curently saving to send my Kimber compact off to them for a full Cobra Coat.
I am also considering having the front strap grooved like you did.
I haven't been able to see an example of this work.

Would you please be so kind as to post a close up pics of yours?
Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn Otto that turned out great.  Nice shooter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good lookin' gun you've got there.

Just one question though, why white over black as opposed to black over white?

My mistake.  Virgil says very clearly on his website that he does not believe in chroming aluminum.  I wanted to hard chrome the whole thing, but it actually turned out pretty nice.  Black over white is my favorite, though, and is the scheme I have for one of my full sized 1911s.

Quoted:
I am curently saving to send my Kimber compact off to them for a full Cobra Coat.
I am also considering having the front strap grooved like you did.
I haven't been able to see an example of this work.
Would you please be so kind as to post a close up pics of yours?
Thanks!

I'll try and take a picture during the day.

Quoted:
Damn Otto that turned out great.  Nice shooter.

Thanks Nate.  (Nate sold it to me)  When I got it back, it felt like a whole new gun.  I was hesitant to even shoot it for a fraction of a second.  I got new springs and a little ejector work.  Yesterday at the 75 yard range at the FDCC, I was picking off Coke bottles and ammo boxes off the berm.  You should have been there!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#7]
My Les Baer Premier-II is at Virgil's shop as we speak.  It should be home in a week or so.  Virgil was an absolute gentleman over the phone.  He took about 20 minutes speaking to me about the modifications I wanted and didn't end the conversation (or try to rush things along) until I was satisfied with all the decisions I'd made.  His shop has an excellent reputaion and his prices are more than reasonable.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#8]
hot damn thats sexy!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#9]
This is not a great picture of the work, but it shows what I requested on the front strap: four thin close grooves:

Mr. Tripp is one of the nicest folks you'll find, and everyone I spoke to was exceedingly polite.  Great price, great service, and I'm sending them another one to work on here shortly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#10]
What kind of holster is that? Damn I can't stay away from this thread.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]
JohnnyEgo
 How's your Cobra Coat holding up?  Any holster wear, flaking, chips etc?
I'm preparing to send off a Colt Defender to have the lower done, with hard chrome slide...but there's always that nagging doubt...

TIA
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had one 1911 done with Tripp's Cobra Coat (the black baked on coating). I feel the the wear near the muzzle is somewhat excessive considering the gun has not had much holster time, nor been shot much.

That said, I do not regret having had it done. I sometime equate wear to "character", and sometimes wish I had a blued 1911 with lots of "character", a la Steven Segal.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#13]
How's the coating on the frame holding up?  Especially around the mag well?  (Mine is shipped tomorrow to him...glad to hear you are happy with yours even with the wear!)
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
JohnnyEgo
 How's your Cobra Coat holding up?  Any holster wear, flaking, chips etc?
I'm preparing to send off a Colt Defender to have the lower done, with hard chrome slide...but there's always that nagging doubt...

TIA

So far, it's held up remarkably well.  This is my carry piece, and I also work in a gun store, so it sees a lot of use.  There is one wear spot and one chip, the chip being self inflicted from an unpleasant fall off the table and on to concrete at the range.  The chip is at the bottom of the front strap, and is very hard to see.  It may not be visible in these pictures.  The wear mark is near the thumb safety, and is fairly visible.  Overall, I am very pleased so far, and if I ever own another aluminum framed .45, I'll send it off to Tripp.

Also, thanks to SGB, who graciously fixed my extractor problem for free!!!  Now that is a moderator!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks!!  Mine is going out tomorrow to Tripp's.  I hope mine comes back as nice as yours...yours looks GREAT!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Man thats a sweet 1911 you got there, I will have to agree. It looks ALOT like what I want to do with mine when I get it, only difference is, i think i'm going to stick with CocoBolo colored grips. You wouldnt mind swapping some on there for me would you, so I can see what it looks like
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#18]
If you dont mind me asking. How much did the refinish job cost you? I am thinking about sending my Kimber Tactical Pro II to Tripp.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Another satisfied Tripp customer over here.

Nice looking 1911 you have there.

+1

Had Virgil hard chrome an ADCO/RRA 1911 and a Valtro 1911 a couple of months ago and they both turned out beautifully. The ADCO/RRA with polished flats on slide and frame and matte rounds and the Valtro all matte.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you dont mind me asking. How much did the refinish job cost you? I am thinking about sending my Kimber Tactical Pro II to Tripp.

I believe the chrome and coating were around $150.  The kicker, though, was the $50 shipping cost each way.

Sorry, FireMedic, I don't have any Cocobolo grips.  I am in the process of making some grips out of some ebony, though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Virgil did my XD about a year ago, looks just like it did the day I got it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:35:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Another great thing about Tripp's is his turnaround time is only about 2 weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top