Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 6:01:40 PM EDT
I have a 44 RR that I left with family for 10 years. It's back in my possession now with some minor surface rust on the slide. How do you remove the surface rust without damaging or discoloring the original parkerizing?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try some 000 steel wool and some Break-Free and scrub the surface rust off if it's pretty light.  Or maybe try some Flitz metal polish.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It is light indeed. I thought of steel wool, but I was standoffish to abbraid the surface. I know parkerizing is tough, but I really don't want to mar the finish. As an unskilled appraiser, I'd rate the finish as 95% +. The other problem is those hard to reach places like in between the pinch grooves.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Flitz and Simichrome do a good job.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#4]
This will sound funny, but try some toothpast and a toothbrush.  It will do much less to the Parked finish than steel wool, and if the rust is light enough, it will come off.  Just make sure the gun is completely disassembled first, and that after rinsing, dry it off well.  Oil it right after.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:32:16 AM EDT
[#5]
If you go to ACE or Woodcrafters, you can get 0000 steel wool, which is excellent for light cleanup without scratching up your finish.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is an All Original 1944 RR 1911 in 95% condition,

PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY ABRASIVE OR CHEMICAL CLEANING AGENT  

Original WW issue 1911's are disappearing every day - and will never be made again.

Have you had it appraised by a professional?  

( If all original , it could be worth in excess of $2000 )

If you MUST clean it - only do enough to prevent the rust from spreading.
Try a soft cloth with some soapy water , maybe use a toothbrush, then OIL the finish
with a good grade of gun oil. (not a synthetic).
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Well that's my unprofessional opinion. If there was a free/cheap relaible appraisal service here I'd gladly check it out for insurance purposes, etc. but the gun become a family heirloom if I have something to say about it regardless of its value.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Flitz for this kind of cleanup, but I use BRASS wool, steel will kill your phosphated finish, brass will not, I have even used brass brushes or old toothbrushes with flitz

it works great (had ot take rust off soem mags the other day, massive storm that blew water all over the room through a window the wife left open
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top