Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2005 7:17:19 AM EDT
I've always thought front strap checkering was required on a 1911. It seems it is standard on all the higher end pistols.  

I was wondering what your thoughts were on this. Does the perfect 1911 have to have front strap checkering? How about as compared to serrations, or stippling?  Those of you who have pistols without it do you find it to be a disadvantage? Can the proper textured grips make up for the lack of checkering?
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had 1911s with them, and 1911s without them.  I just sent the last of my naked frontstraps to Tripp Research to have some work done.  

For me, it's a matter of preference.  I have sweaty hands, so I like the added traction that the checkered front strap provides.  Aside from my perception of increased traction, though, I've never really noticed a difference in shooting.  In fact, I routinely shot tighter groups with my Stainless II without checkering then I did with my TLE-RL with checkering.  However, the TLE-RL felt better in my hands.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 11:25:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
For me, nothing works better than 20 LPI checkering, plus it just plain looks right.  However, I checker all my own guns, so it only costs me a new file every 15 guns or so.  For those who cannot justify spending $150 - $250 for checkering, plus refinishing on blued guns, I just recommend either skateboard grip tape or those fancy precut grip decals that are about the same texture as stippling.  They might not have the cosmetic appeal, but they accomplish the same goal at a mere fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#5]
My Nighthawk has 25LPI and it's great!

Rich
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
My operator has Pach grips so I dont worry about it
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I am another one who prefes to have checkering. It just feels right to me plus part of shooting good groups is consistency of your grip. with the checkering there will be less grip shift for a more consistent hold on the pistol.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am another one who prefes to have checkering. It just feels right to me plus part of shooting good groups is consistency of your grip. with the checkering there will be less grip shift for a more consistent hold on the pistol.

I have to add after reading your post agian though that the grips on my Warrior do seem to help alot in this without the front strap checkering though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 10:17:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Steve, who did the checkering?  
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
For my needs a 1911 without checkering is useless. I am a civilian, so I don't wear nomex or Oakley gloves wherever I go. I have children--children need sunscreen in the summer. Just two very simple reasons, without getting into the sweaty hands thing, why all of my 1911s have, or are going to receive aggressive frontstrap treatments.

Be well!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
My CCW weapon doesn't have them front or back. My smith suggested that I try the G-10 grips first
as he believes it not needed as they provide plenty of grip, plus the checkering would snag on clothes.

After using the weapon and practicing draws, I have to agree I really don't need the extra grip.

I have to add, I like the looks of checkering and prefer it over the smooth any day.

Photos added because Im a photo whore

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]
V-Rod,

The bottom photo of your .45 settled a two week debate of mine regarding brushed stainless versus matte.

And after seeing your 1911, I'm sold on the brushed look.  Thumbs up
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:34:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive checkered alot of pistols over the years,all by hand,for looks i preferred 30 lpi,plus its alot easier to do 30 lpi vs 20 lpi,20 lpi you have to cut so much deeper.I wouldnt do one if it was for a carry gun....sharp edges catch on everything......for a carry gun go with stippling.If its done right I like the look and feel of stippling better.
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I think a 1911 is naked without it.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Grips should be slick or have very subtle texture, front and backstraps should have mildly agressive texture.

If you feel as though the traction provided by your grips is what allows you to hang on when shooting fast pairs - your strangling the weapon. Your hand tension should just enough and the distribution should be @ 45 / 55.

Skateboard tape works great too.

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#19]
My thoughts:

20 or 25 LPI checkering, if done by hand, goes well on a blued Colt.  It provices the best traction.

Stippling is good for covering up other frontstrap treatments... like machine cut checkering.

Scallops lack vertical traction... but they look so good.

Golfballs.  Thats where it's at.

Skateboard tape is cool too, and I would use it if I felt the need for temporary grip.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#20]
CJack - got any pics of 'golf balls'?

TIA
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:32:50 AM EDT
[#23]

I've read on Lightfighter.net from guys who shoot their 1911s a lot more than I do, that the checkering will really rough up your fingers after a long day of shooting.  

Anyone here have that problem?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:43:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.rogersprecision.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/grtfullleftstk2.jpg

www.rogersprecision.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/new4.jpg.w180h199.jpg

Combat_Jack

Who did the work on your 1911? Is that a Colt 1991? That is one of the nicest 1911s I have ever saw. Details please! Email me at

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#25]
My Pro Carry had a naked front strap.  After shooting it a bit, I felt that I was having a difficult time hanging on.  I added a thin strip of skateboard tape, and couldn't be happier - it really helps me hang onto the pistol during recoil.  Follow up shots are much faster, and it doesn't feel like it shifts as much in my paw any more.

I do plan on adding checkering some time in the future - we'll see what the wallet can afford later.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Any recommendations for Smiths who can stipple my 1911Sc?(my carry 1911)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I personally DO NOT like checkering- I've never had a pistol not feel snug enough in my hand without it. A number of my friends have been to thunder ranch and others where as a result of shooting hundreds of rounds a day they end up with blistered bloody hands. Then again I am old school and don't find any need for an extended safety, long trigger, beavertail or any of the other things people currently find they must have on a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Skateboard Tape works great
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I personally DO NOT like checkering- I've never had a pistol not feel snug enough in my hand without it. A number of my friends have been to thunder ranch and others where as a result of shooting hundreds of rounds a day they end up with blistered bloody hands. Then again I am old school and don't find any need for an extended safety, long trigger, beavertail or any of the other things people currently find they must have on a 1911.

Big +1 on that.  I made the mistake of taking one with checkering to a training class.  Mine was just the add-on front panel from Wilson and by the end of the day, I had removed it.  It was affecting my grip on the gun and the results were obvious.  

I would take vertical serrations, but not checkering.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Checkering sharp enough to cause blisters or rough up your fingers... that’s the whole idea.

A pistol, like most other tools, takes some getting used to and there’s no exception with one that is checkered. If you don’t use and shoot a checkered gun regularly you’ll never build up the tolerance or calluses that make sharp checkering livable. The guns I use the most are all checkered nice and sharp and I have found over and over again that extended shooting sessions (read 1100+ rounds over 2 days) are a non-issue so long as one is used to the gun.  

Ya'll think this guy is bragging? His Nastoff gun has 20 LPI thats so sharp that the pistol kills on one end and wounds on the other.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.rogersprecision.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/grtfullleftstk2.jpg

www.rogersprecision.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/new4.jpg.w180h199.jpg

Combat_Jack

Who did the work on your 1911? Is that a Colt 1991? That is one of the nicest 1911s I have ever saw. Details please! Email me at

[email protected]

Thats a Series 80 Colt, and it's not mine. It's a pic from Chuck Rogers gallery. I've handled several of Chucks pistols now, and I am awed by his abilities.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I wasn't too hip on it at first, but the more I shot, I realized it was neccesary.
I don't like wrap-around grips(on a 1911),and I REFUSE to put skateboard tape on it.
Had the 30 lpi done by Tripp Research and I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:09:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I've read/heard from at least one source that you should EITHER go with checkered grips or front-strap checkering. Doing both is superflous, according to source.

I'm almost sure (about to open a can of worms) it was Ayoob's writings I'm referring to, but not positive of that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I've read/heard from at least one source that you should EITHER go with checkered grips or front-strap checkering. Doing both is superflous, according to source.

I'm almost sure (about to open a can of worms) it was Ayoob's writings I'm referring to, but not positive of that.

You should be gripping the pistol from front to back, not around or side to side. As such front and MSH texturing is important, and texturing on the grips is much less so. I like frontstrap checkering; it centers my fingers and helps me grip front to back as I should.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top