Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2017 11:17:23 AM EDT
I've been hog hunting and I carry a 308 and a 357 magnum.  I'm transitioning to a 1911 10mm.  When I'm actively hunting, I carry my rifle.  I have a house on 30 acres where hogs have been seen.   When I'm there, I may not have my rifle on my person. I plan on carrying my 10mm.  If I see any hog or otherwise dangerous animal, I will try to leave them be.  Not engage.  

Issue is when I have my small children with me (or whatever reason).  I will still try to retreat, but I want an option to defend my kids.  

Secondarily I will carry this gun when I am hog hunting.  I am moving away from the 357 magnum.  

In this scenario would you put a red dot on the pistol?   I do have other pistols with red dots (a Sig 226 and a Ruger 22), and I like it.  However those are "fun" guns.  I don't know how it'll be on a gun that will get used outside the range.  

Part of the reason I'm asking is I've read that some guys are making really good hits with a 10mm at 100 yards with a red dot (consistent, and accurate).  I think with practice I'd like to do that, at least make me faster at 50 yards.   Those hogs can run fast.  

I have another pistol that I conceal carry (no red dot), I am not getting a Glock 10mm MOS, I carry a 357 magnum, a Glock is the furthest gun from a revolver.

If you did it, recommendations?

If you are completely opposed to red dots on any hand gun, that's fine, but doesn't help me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there enough material in the slide to get a good base for a RDS?

I havent done it, but on most guns that have them, Glock, M&P, SIG320, the slide is wider higher where the 1911 is a bit more radiused.

Just a thought.

ETA: I guess they have. Looks like can fit in the dove for the rear sights, or some do get milled.

Linky to M4C with pics (lame thread though, you have been warned)
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#2]
For you youngsters, American USPSA/IPSC and bullseye shooters invented red-dot pistol shooting in the 80s and 90s.  Aimpoints eventually migrated to US military carbines.

Preferred mounting back in the day for both IPSC and bullseye 1911s was to either get a grip mount or drill holes in the fore dust cover.  The dot scope was secured to the frame while the slide is free to reciprocate.

Bianchi Cup 1911s have scopes for the very fast moving left-to-right and right-to-left targets.  If you shoot hogs with a shoulder gun you can do it with a scoped pistol.

The new mini red-dots are going to have to be hella stout to withstand 10mm recoil.

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna do it.  I'll take pictures.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 5:21:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Look at an STI 1911/2011 (H.O.S.T.)
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, rather than a red dot (which is reliant upon a battery), think about a reflex sight (battery free).

I would also consider a big front sight bead. With adjustable rear sight, you could quickly learn to make long range shots, IMO.

My .02
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
They are awesome on 1911s. My dad is having one built right now by Roberts defense. Should be done soon!
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like Trijicon released a mount specifically for the 1911 back in 2014.  
Linky to Trijicon

Optics Planet supposedly has it in stock.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I really want to co witness the red dot with the front sight.  

1.   It'll keep the gun from getting too top heavy, even if that's just aesthetics.  
2.   I shoot other hand guns with red dots and I've learned / trained to find the dot with the front sight.  It'll be seamless for me.  
3.   I don't care if the slide has to be milled.  Do you think I can SAFELY mill it deep enough for a Trijicon RMR?

I've been looking at the JP and Shield RMR which will get co witness.  However I'm used to, and I like the Trijicon sights.

Edit.  I want it this way, because I just want it.  I'm not dipping into my training or ammo money to make this happen.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:40:08 AM EDT
[#9]
It looks like there should be plenty of room.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/1911-government-slide-45acp-ss-with-trijicon-rmr-cut-sku087000108-84926-180306.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-087-000-108&;utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=087-000-108

Clearly, my damn link isn't working.  If you search Brownells for "1911 slide with RMR cut" you will see a good pic of a milled slide.

http://www.tr-enabling.com/product-p/sl-g-s-45-12-nr-rmr.htm
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I've shot an Ed Brown with a rmr. With a surefire x300 it was pretty much the high point of 1911 evolution as a fighting gun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#11]
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=827417
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really want to co witness the red dot with the front sight.  

1.   It'll keep the gun from getting too top heavy, even if that's just aesthetics.  
2.   I shoot other hand guns with red dots and I've learned / trained to find the dot with the front sight.  It'll be seamless for me.  
3.   I don't care if the slide has to be milled.  Do you think I can SAFELY mill it deep enough for a Trijicon RMR?

I've been looking at the JP and Shield RMR which will get co witness.  However I'm used to, and I like the Trijicon sights.

Edit.  I want it this way, because I just want it.  I'm not dipping into my training or ammo money to make this happen.
View Quote
Yes u can mill it deep enough.
My dads Roberts defense 1911 is milled out. Then they mount a thin base plate that has a rear sight attached to it. Also mount a suppressor height front.  The rmr co witnesses perfectly with the trijicon sights.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Trijicon makes an RMR called the dual illuminated RMR.  No batteries.  No electronics.  Fiber optics for daylight use, tritium for low/no light use.

Mount it and never have to remove it for battery replacement.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 dual illumination ones.  Work great.  Not on 1911s though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top