Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2017 11:31:35 AM EDT
Have another question in regards to getting a 1911 for my old man.
  Just crossed my mind, do you guys think an rmr of some type would help him? He is 75yrs old and a little shakey with a pistol. But great rifle shooter.
 Will be used for shooting paper at 10/15yds.

I had a g20 with rmr once but it was dovetail mounted. Won't make that mistake again. Mill it or don't do it.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have another question in regards to getting a 1911 for my old man.
  Just crossed my mind, do you guys think an rmr of some type would help him? He is 75yrs old and a little shakey with a pistol. But great rifle shooter.
 Will be used for shooting paper at 10/15yds.

I had a g20 with rmr once but it was dovetail mounted. Won't make that mistake again. Mill it or don't do it.

Thanks guys!
View Quote

My grandfather would probably tell me to pound sand with that idea.  But I digress, no, it probably wouldn't help especially not knowing what his eyes are going to do with the dot.  I'd just get a nice set of sights, maybe a fiber front and blacked out adjustable rear.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Have him try one
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
One of the regular shooters at my club is 75, and shoots a Glock 17 with a dovetail mounted RMR. He may not move as fast, but he is still competitive in USPSA style matches.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One of the regular shooters at my club is 75, and shoots a Glock 17 with a dovetail mounted RMR. He may not move as fast, but he is still competitive in USPSA style matches.
View Quote
Cool!

Also I know he usually sees a starburst with red dots. But that has been on rifles at 50yds. I'm thinking at 10/15 yds perfect dot or not it would still help him.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cool!

Also I know he usually sees a starburst with red dots. But that has been on rifles at 50yds. I'm thinking at 10/15 yds perfect dot or not it would still help him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool!

Since i'm afflicted with an astigmatism too and have this issue i'll offer my opinion on what works for me.

Go with a smaller dot that way the starburst is smaller = a bigger dot basically.

Cranking up the intensity for bright conditions intensify's the starburst effect for me so it's better to start with a smaller moa dot.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an uncorrectable slight astigmatism. It causes a 2moa aimpoint to be about 4moa which is very usable to me.

My wife's rmr 05 with a 5moa Amber dot(I think) to only be slightly egg shaped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top