Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2016 10:18:26 PM EDT
First shots now that I have a new 2011 ready to function test.  Full mag from 20 yards freehand.  Usually I have to adjust the sights a little bit but it was hitting pretty close as installed.  I call this stage "making sausage" because the gun's still pretty ugly without all the finishing work done.

The only issue I had with function was the slide would lock back with one round left, but that's a standard thing with 2011s and stock mags and is easily addressed on the slide stop.  Frame is a PT, STI slide, KKM barrel and misc. internals, including EGW, STI, Wilson, Brown, etc.  Now if I could just find some 126 STI mags for a decent price :(

I plan to finish it much like the previous PT 2011 I did, with black Cerakote on the serrations, controls, and slide top / bottom.

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking pistol, what caliber is it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Ugh, i want a 2011 so bad, every time a thread like this pops up I get closer and closer to buying an 80% frame and going hog wild.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I spent some time yesterday on details like blending the rear of the slide to the frame and beavertail, dehorning the sharp edges, etc.

Next step is to abrasive blast the slide serrations, polish out the flats on the slide and frame, and then Cerakote.

Apparently 9mm STI magazines seem to be chronically out of stock everywhere.  A Brownell's backorder just came through for two .38 Super mags, so I think I'm covered on this build.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I spent some time yesterday on details like blending the rear of the slide to the frame and beavertail, dehorning the sharp edges, etc.

Next step is to abrasive blast the slide serrations, polish out the flats on the slide and frame, and then Cerakote.

Apparently 9mm STI magazines seem to be chronically out of stock everywhere.  A Brownell's backorder just came through for two .38 Super mags, so I think I'm covered on this build.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=140_38mag

I'm aware of those but I'd prefer to stick with factory STI mags.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]
If I could find any caliber STI mags for a decent price I would get a 2011.  Why are they so proud of them?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I could find any caliber STI mags for a decent price I would get a 2011.  Why are they so proud of them?
View Quote

Beats me.   STI mags are around $60 which I can kind of understand, given that they were pretty much the only people making them.  SVI is more expensive yet.  And then Grams and others began getting $120 for "tuned" mags, so I suppose that became the going rate.   I had hoped that when SPS mags started showing up they would drive the price down, but that hasn't seemed to happen yet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ugh, i want a 2011 so bad, every time a thread like this pops up I get closer and closer to buying an 80% frame and going hog wild.
View Quote

Same here.  ken is the worst when it comes to posting pics of his beauties.  

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Beats me.   STI mags are around $60 which I can kind of understand, given that they were pretty much the only people making them.  SVI is more expensive yet.  And then Grams and others began getting $120 for "tuned" mags, so I suppose that became the going rate.   I had hoped that when SPS mags started showing up they would drive the price down, but that hasn't seemed to happen yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they can. For so long the the majority of the line was aimed at competition shooters. Much different market when most guys only have 3-4 mags and will pay almost anything if it means they can squeeze another round in it and still be reliable.

For years I've wished someone like Mecgar would make some.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do the STI mags run fine fine with no tuning?  Seems like most of the problems I see at matches are guys with STI guns, cussing their mags.  Pretty sure those same guys did some mods to the mags to get an extra round or two in there.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So do the STI mags run fine fine with no tuning?  Seems like most of the problems I see at matches are guys with STI guns, cussing their mags.  Pretty sure those same guys did some mods to the mags to get an extra round or two in there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine always have.  9mm and .45 mags loaded to factory capacity.  Of course, I'm not using them for Limited or Open.   I have a set of SVI mags that I have always used in Limited.  I suppose if you have to tweak every last possible round out of a stock STI tube, you may as well spring for Gram's mag guts.

Quoted:
Same here.  ken is the worst when it comes to posting pics of his beauties.  

Hey, I try to keep a low profile.  Every once in a couple years I can't resist the urge to take a new photo of the family!  
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Ken, I may end up with a 2011 one day.  I got a tour of the STI factory in Georgetown and was very impressed.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]
2011 mags run great stock if you stick with the recommended capacities. It's when you start trying to get 22/23 rounds of 9mm into a 140 or 21 rounds of 40 into them that they get unreliable (if done wrong).
If you're not trying to stick within game rules of length you can get some extenders, but the mags last a while. I have 3 of the 9mm 140s just waiting for me to get another 2011. I've had a tactical in 45, and a full custom 6" 40 as a game gun, but I'm trying to find a deal on a 9mm to replace all my other game/tactical pistols.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a couple of mags from these guys when I did my 2011 build earlier this year.  No problems.

http://www.osagecountyguns.com/firearm-accessories/magazines/sti-2011-9mm-17rd-magazine-126mm.html

I like the extended dust cover look. Might have to do one like that soon.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I bought a couple of mags from these guys when I did my 2011 build earlier this year.  No problems.

http://www.osagecountyguns.com/firearm-accessories/magazines/sti-2011-9mm-17rd-magazine-126mm.html

I like the extended dust cover look. Might have to do one like that soon.

CHRIS
View Quote

Thanks for the link.   I actually just received a Brownell's backorder yesterday so I think I'm good.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump for photo of finished gun.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bump for photo of finished gun.
View Quote

Simply awesome.  The black cerakote adds just enough to break up all of the stainless.

Once again, great work.  I wish I had the time, tools, and skillset to do that.

Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Simply awesome.  The black cerakote adds just enough to break up all of the stainless.

Once again, great work.  I wish I had the time, tools, and skillset to do that.
View Quote

Thanks, I wish I had gotten more and better photos before I gave it up.  

The custom serial number meant a 12 month wait from PT.  They told me 3 months and it kept getting delayed.  Now the price on them went up and it's a 10 frame minimum.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:00:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks, I wish I had gotten more and better photos before I gave it up.  

The custom serial number meant a 12 month wait from PT.  They told me 3 months and it kept getting delayed.  Now the price on them went up and it's a 10 frame minimum.
View Quote

Saw the 10 frame minimum, oh well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Saw the 10 frame minimum, oh well.
View Quote

I would have just ordered a STI frame from Brownell's or another reseller but I needed a custom SN.   I don't think STI will do it for just one frame anymore, PT (at the time) would.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I am not into 2011s but DAMN you always do build 'em sweeeeeet!!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Congrats, looks fantastic Ken !

Best of luck with It.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top