Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2016 11:16:23 AM EDT
I have a wild hair for something different. I recently sold both Glock 10mm's & bought a RIA 2011 10mm. Love it. Use it for a truck gun, as I did my Glock 20SF.

Now I'm looking for a single 10mm or maybe a .38Super. The only ones I'm seeing are $1200 & up. I find a few used Kimbers on GB, but not really into Kimber.

I know RIA makes a single stack 10mm, but don't see .38Super on GB. STI makes one, but they're in the $1300 range as well.

So my questions is, is it that much more expensive to make a .38Super instead of a 9mm? I'd love to have a Range Officer in .38Super, but SA doesn't seem to want to do that.  

Is this like wanting a .41mag in a revolver? Just not gonna happen in an affordable package?

When will SA come to their senses & hire me as their marketing/R&D Director?????  
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#1]

So my questions is, is it that much more expensive to make a .38Super instead of a 9mm? I'd love to have a Range Officer in .38Super, but SA doesn't seem to want to do that.  
View Quote

Not much difference in manufacturing costs.

If SA won't make what you want, you can do it yourself.

The main differences between a .38 Super and a 9mm are the barrel, the ejector, and the magazine.  

Fit a .38 Super barrel to your 9mm, Either shorten the existing ejector or replace it with a .38 Super ejector.  Use .38 Super magazines.  Instant .38 Super!!!

The extractor may or may not need a little tweaking, the recoil spring will probably be OK, but you are going to replace it at some point in the future anyway.

Put the original 9mm barrel back in, and you have a pistol that uses readily available cheap training ammunition.  I only do this for range use, as the shorter ejector theoretically could cause a reliability problem.  It hasn't yet though, so I don't see it as a problem.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Buds has a Colt 38 super for $800. They list several RIA, Citadel, taurus, etc that are out of stock.
$429.99 Not sure if a GI was OK with you, or you want a race gun?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Just purchase a Colt Government Model in 38 Super. Send the slide to Novak's for a different sight package. If you want, put some SA Range Officer grips on it. Pretty sure it will meet or surpass your expectations for accuracy, reliability, fit and finish.

38 Super
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buds has a Colt 38 super for $800. They list several RIA, Citadel, taurus, etc that are out of stock.
$429.99 Not sure if a GI was OK with you, or you want a race gun?
View Quote

No race gun wanted (or needed). I actually want it in a LW Commander for carry. I've perused GB & that's where I saw all the prices, most of which are out of my budget. Colt is about the only one I see making a LW Commander & I just thought that was something that needed to be remedied...........  
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
What's  the street price for a Dan Wesson Guardian in .38 super?
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My guess is that the demand for .38 is so small, that those who do make them only do so in batches every few years.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's  the street price for a Dan Wesson Guardian in .38 super?
View Quote

I didn't see one on GB, but virtually any Dan Wesson I see NIB begins around $1200 & goes up from there.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My guess is that the demand for .38 is so small, that those who do make them only do so in batches every few years.
View Quote

Yeah, I can believe that. The 10mm was in the same boat until the last 2-3 years until it began a bit of a resurgence.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#9]
You sold your Glocks for 1911's, how interesting

I'm with you too OP, I'd love to have a .38 Super 1911 myself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I came here to post that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top