Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2015 1:45:49 PM EDT
My dad has a brand new Smith & Wesson 1911, the performance center 5" stainless model. The same one in this picture here:

He went to Cabela's the other day and picked up a few boxes of Hornady ammo for it. Bought some regular target ammo and some of the self defense stuff.

Unfortunately, he didn't read the box well enough and accedently bought some +P rounds.

Is this gun capable of shooting the +P ammo? Or is it a bad idea to do?

I tried googling it and I found mixed opinions.

The article I stole the picture from did a write up on the gun, but doesn't mention the ammo, even though it clearly shows +P ammo.

I don't think he can bring the ammo back, as allot of the stores I see don't allow returns or exchanges on ammo.

Will it be okay to shoot this? Or should he try to trade it? He doesn't have another 45 ACP pistol to use it in.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 3:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Plus p ammo in a modern but 1911 style pistol is fine no worries. Shoot it and enjoy
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The slide has been lightened with those slots cut in it. I wouldn't shot +P in it personally.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Call factory.

/thread
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I just looked up the online manual, and it doesn't really say if +P is okay. It says not to use +P+ as there is no SAMMI specs to dictate presure.

It does make mention that +P can speed up wear & tear, and will cause additional recoil, but doesn't mention not to do it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much any non-cheap modern 1911 that's properly heat treated is fine imo, consult owners manual or call S&W if you have doubts.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Fire one or two rounds to see how it does in the gun.  Testing for accuracy and reliability.  Save the rest for serious social work.  Granted two rounds is not a great indicator of reliability, but if you are worried about the gun handling it, it will give you an idea.  Save the good stuff for social work.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 5:05:49 AM EDT
[#7]
If it doesn't handle +p, I would get rid of the gun.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Acouple of boxes. Wron't hurt it. If you are going to shoot a steady diet of it, go to a 18 lb recoil spring and maybe a shok buff.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#9]
It'll be fine. Nice looking pistol btw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top