Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2015 10:11:06 PM EDT
I've got a Springfield Loaded that I was giving a detailed strip to check for fair wear and tear, and the housing came off on it's own. My question is, which is the best replacement out there to use? I'm just going to take the other one and chuck it in the trash, and having whichever one I get to be staked in its place.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#1]
GSL... if you have not done a staking job before, use a small ball burr on a Foredom or Dremel to deepen the chamfer to the holes on the inside of the frame... to give the new plunger tube something to swage into... when installed, place a drop of oil under the new tube, and then try to wiggle the tube... movement of the oil will  show you don't have it as tight as needed
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 6:46:06 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.blindhogg.com/gunsmith/plungertube.html
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I've got a Springfield Loaded that I was giving a detailed strip to check for fair wear and tear, and the housing came off on it's own. My question is, which is the best replacement out there to use? I'm just going to take the other one and chuck it in the trash, and having whichever one I get to be staked in its place.
View Quote

Are you in the PHX area?  

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you in the PHX area?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you in the PHX area?  

Prescott area.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Prescott area.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you in the PHX area?  

Prescott area.

Dang!!!  I have a plunger tube staking tool....if you was close I would have been able to help ya super stake a new one.

Honestly, if you are really into 1911s, get the Brownell's staking tool....I have yet to run into an standard production brand of 1911 where loose plunger tubes aren't encountered.  Colt, Springfield, etc.  At some point you will run into a loose tube.  It's a good 54 dollar insurance policy.  Say 64 with shipping.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The best plunger tubes are name brand machined from bar stock.

You want one that has a slight web at the base of the tubes, not a sharp corner where the tubes meet the plunger tube.
The sharp tube joints tend to break off where the webbed tubes won't.

Good bar stock tubes are Ed Brown, Nowlin, Yost-Bonitz, and Wilson Bullet Proof.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had good luck with Ed Brown replacement tubes. Nice long legs.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The best plunger tubes are name brand machined from bar stock.

You want one that has a slight web at the base of the tubes, not a sharp corner where the tubes meet the plunger tube.
The sharp tube joints tend to break off where the webbed tubes won't.

Good bar stock tubes are Ed Brown, Nowlin, Yost-Bonitz, and Wilson Bullet Proof.

View Quote
I got the Ed Brown after taking Hans Vang's advice. Vang Comp is 30 minutes from me I took Hans for a Glock kind of guy but man he is all about that 1911.

My Loaded is going to end up almost all Wilson Combat or Ed Brown at this rate, with just a Springfield frame.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top