Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2015 2:36:36 AM EDT
I've wanted a nice double stack 9mm 1911 for quite some time, but the only way I can justify the expenditure is if I can use it as a duty firearm.  The model I am looking at can be seen here.

Are these ready to go out of the box?  Am I going to have to contend with tuning magazines?  Any part swaps that need to be done right off the bat for serious use?

And of course.......will a set of trijicon HD sights drop into these without issue?  I much prefer them for duty use.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm doublestacks tend to run better than .40 and .45.  That one should largely be ready to go.   I've never needed to tune a stock STI magazine.  Where that usually applies if you're using an aftermarket follower and basepad to squeeze the maximum amount of rounds into the tube.  

I have had a fair amount of trouble with STI's slide stops not locking back consistently when the gun is new.   I attribute this to an overly long slide stop which exerts more tension on the plunger than an aftermarket slide stop would.   So if you run into this, a Wilson slide stop should fix you up.

For duty use, I would yank off the magwell and go with 126mm length mags which will fit flush with the plastic grip.  You get 17+1 in 9mm with the 126mm mags.   I wouldn't want that huge magwell banging into doors and walls all day long.

I believe that one also comes with a Recoilmaster, which is STI's proprietary sort-of-captured recoil spring guide.  Lots of folks yank them out and replace with standard 1911 guiderods, plugs and springs.   I wouldn't bother unless it causes demonstrable problems.

The front sight uses the STI/Heinie cut, .300"x.060"x60º.  The rear is basically a Novak Lo-mount cut.   I doubt you can get Trijicon HD sights in such a format.   However, a decent smith could recut the HD Novak front (.330"x.075x65º) to fit the STI dovetail.

Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd be more worried about a holster for duty use. Which model are you looking at holster wise? (and does it come in left hand? )
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Hopefully I don't get banned from this thread for saying this but you might want to look at the Sig X-5 Tactical in 9mm. Double stack, SAO, thumb safety,  works out of the box without tweaking, cheaper than a 2011.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hopefully I don't get banned from this thread for saying this but you might want to look at the Sig X-5 Tactical in 9mm. Double stack, SAO, thumb safety,  works out of the box without tweaking, cheaper than a 2011.
View Quote

Kind of off-topic, but they aren't really any cheaper that I've seen, especially now that they are no longer imported.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be more worried about a holster for duty use. Which model are you looking at holster wise? (and does it come in left hand? )
View Quote

Id run it with a light, so theoretically I think any safariland holster for one with a light would work just fine.  They don't taper down thinner than the width of the slide before the cutout for the light starts, so I think I'd be good.

I like the safariland level 1 ALS duty holsters.  Not sure what the model number is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top