Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 10:37:20 PM EDT
I have shot a couple of Kimbers, one full size and one smaller one.
Didn't get to shoot a bunch out of either but found the grip and trigger nice.
Local shop is selling the Springfield TRP Item Number: PC9108LP for $1200.00.
Questions I have are:
A) For the 12 hundred bucks are there better 1911s I should be looking at and
B) will I be able to sell this if I decide it isn't for me and not loose my butt.

This will be a range carry truck fun barbque kinda gun.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
This thread is relevant to my interests...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be a pretty nice choice to bust your 1911 cherry on.   Little more  $$ could get you a Baer.

If you don't get the finish all beat up, you could get 900+ back out of it.  But you'll prolly like it.
Don't treat it like a glock.  Clean/lube and decent ammo.  

ETA--See if that TRP has the springer integrated lock, if that bugs you.  My ROC has it, and it has not been an issue.  But i'm pulling it anyway.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I see a lot of Springfield TRP's being listed on the EE here, usually in the 1000-1400 range, depending on how many holsters/mags/etc. they have going with them.

I own two Springfield Armory Loaded Champions, and have been looking for a full size loaded model as well.  I've had really good luck with the standard loaded models, and have read and heard the TRP's leave them in the dust as far as fit and finish goes.  If you have the money to drop on it, you should be very happy with what you get, and they seem to hold their value quite well, based on asking prices in the EE (although I don't know what they actually sell for, just what they are asking).

If it was ME, I would just find a full-size Loaded model for around $600 and spend the extra money on a holster, mags, and ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Springers are a very nice and well fit gun.

ETA:  I've owned a Springfield RO for about 5 months, love this gun.  Super accurate also.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I much prefer the Springfield loaded or TRP for that budget. I have owned three Kimbers which are now all gone, replaced by all Springfields. Perhaps someday I will own a Nighthawk or Wilson.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Love my trp.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Springfields IMO are the highest quality 1911 you can get for the asking price. I have a Nighthawk and plan on complementing it with a Springfield sometime this year. Looking at the Loaded model since it's such a good value, but my splurge for a TRP
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#8]
That price wil get you a lot of options.

Springfield is the worst luck I've ever had wirh a brand.. Two different over 1k pistols one wouldn't feed a round without a sledge hammer and the TRP was a minute of barn gun.
I'm aware I'm he minority here but I can't help but think there's a reason so many race about their customer service. They've needed it

that being said if I'd come across a good deal on an all black MC Operator I'd give the company another shot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#9]
For $1100 buy the Dan Wesson Heritage.....dan wesson heritage.....you can thank me later
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Springfields IMO are the highest quality 1911 you can get for the asking price. I have a Nighthawk and plan on complementing it with a Springfield sometime this year. Looking at the Loaded model since it's such a good value, but my splurge for a TRP
View Quote

Sorry, but I have to disagree, to a point. When you could get a Loaded for $600, perhaps. But at the price they're going for now a days, I think the Colt 1991 is a better deal. I've owned to Loaded models, and while they functioned fine, the fitting of the extractor always bugged the hell out of me. Why couldn't they just spend a few extra minutes to flush fit it?

With what the Colt O1991 was going for at the end of the year, that was a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sorry, but I have to disagree, to a point. When you could get a Loaded for $600, perhaps. But at the price they're going for now a days, I think the Colt 1991 is a better deal. I've owned to Loaded models, and while they functioned fine, the fitting of the extractor always bugged the hell out of me. Why couldn't they just spend a few extra minutes to flush fit it?

With what the Colt O1991 was going for at the end of the year, that was a hell of a deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware people will disagree which is why I specifically stated "IMO" I personally think Colt is overrated. Most people who recommend one can't tell you why, other than "it's a Colt"

At most gun shops I go to a standard Colt government model is more expensive than a Springfield Loaded Parkarized and isn't as good of a gun. The trigger isn't as good, no skeletonized hammer or trigger, no extended beaver tail, far crappier sights. About the only thing that you can make an argument for is the finish. Blueing for the Colt and a Parkarized finish for the Loaded, though they do come in stainless but most places I've been to that's an extra $100
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I am the VERY happy owner of a TRP Tactical Operator and 3 other Springfields, Stainless Loaded, Range Officer and an original Springfield Champion. After being fortunate enough to be able to handle Wilson, Les B. Ed Brown and Night Hawks, I can not in any way see how they coupl possible be worth so much more money. They are DEFINATELY, first rate 1911's but I simply cant find even a portion or the extra cost. And as for Colt, they aint even in the ball park. I'm sorry but those 4 letters and that stupid horse just don't justify the cost. I have yet to have a single issue with any Springer and fit and finish are second to none.
  I'm sure, just like every other manufacturer they have had some get out with some kind of issue,BUT who else can say that has NEVER happened. Thats right, NONE of them so as for customer service goes, if you don't have great customer service you should be in a different line of work. I have never needed CS but have spoken to them several times over the years with a question about this or that and have always been treated like I was the customer of the day That is a decent price for what you will be getting OP and if I were you I would go for it. You won't be sorry, and IF there was to be some kind of issue, you be assured that Springfield will take care of you.
  Now I am sure some will dissagree and that is perfectly fine. This has just been MY experience with Springfield and their products and am about to buy another, a Stainless TRP simply because I am a big fan of Stainless and I know first hand that I won't be sorry with the purchase. My Tactical Operator with the half rail, after several thousands of rounds is going to be retired to my Night Stand duty and no longer be carrier every day because with a TLR-HL 630 lumen light on it, it becomes the perfect home defence weapon and reliability has already been proven. The stainless TRP will assume it's regular carry duty soon as it passes the trial.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Went in today and got a good look at the TRP, i think I will enjoy having it. Had the clerk field strip it so I could get a look inside,
the parts I looked at showed no funky machining marks or poor fit.
Bad part came when I got delayed on the 4473. Seems like every other purchase is a delay, pain in my ass.
Oh we'll the weather here is ugly anyway and it will just make it that much better when it gets to come home with me :)
And I got a couple boxes of 22 so the trip wasn't a total loss.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I've owned a few Kimbers, Colts, and Springfields over the years and my TRP is the best 1911 I've owned so far.  In that price range, I'd recommend the TRP and you won't lose your butt if you decide to sell it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Love my trp.

View Quote

This....
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Picked it up yesterday at lunch time but didn't get home till after dark...
Cleaned all the factory oil and grease out of it and lubed it up. Got 300 rounds of
wwb and a couple of types of sd ammo, I have a bunch of the federal ae value packs already and some
different types of ad ammo I have been running in my M&P 45.
Doesn't look likely I will have time to shoot it till Sunday, just now getting to lunch today and tomorrow will be busy as well.
Can't wait to break in the member of safe.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Get a Springfield.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Looks nice but I'm sure that's a far cry from $1200
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#19]

That thing is a beast ! What does it weigh?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I got curious about .45s and rented a TRP while I was at the range. Liked it so much I bought one a couple weeks later. Then I thought I'd like to start carrying a .45 and got the RO Compact. They're both very accurate out of the box.  These are my first two .45s so nothing to compare against but very satisfied with both.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, since we are sharing.... Here is my Springfield. Lightweight Champion Operator.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, since we are sharing.... Here is my Springfield. Lightweight Champion Operator.<a href="http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/carpetcop617/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150221_081010_zpszoyyvu64.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k635/carpetcop617/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150221_081010_zpszoyyvu64.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice. Do they make a lw commander w/o the rail?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, since we are sharing.... Here is my Springfield. Lightweight Champion Operator.<a href="http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/carpetcop617/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150221_081010_zpszoyyvu64.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k635/carpetcop617/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150221_081010_zpszoyyvu64.jpg</a>

Yes. It is simply known as the Champion Lightweight. I wasn't a big fan of rails on 1911's either, but have discovered that it is nice to have options. This pistol came with Trijicon night sights, ambi safeties, nice beavertail grip safety, nicely beveled edges for low snag factor, a decent trigger, beveled mag well, lowered and flared ejection port, checkered mainspring housing, and probably a few things I am forgetting. Overall a nice pistol for the 1k and under crowd.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

44oz unloaded.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top