Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 3:50:58 PM EDT
Howdy all. Any of you folks do your own barrel fitting on a 1911?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Howdy all. Any of you folks do your own barrel fitting on a 1911?
View Quote

Yes, but I had to purchase some tools to do it.  Most critical would be a "lug cutter" for cutting lugs on an unfit (non-drop-in) barrel.

However, unless you are trying to wring out the last 1/2 inch of group size on a bullseye gun, most shooters don't really notice that much improvement in a fitted barrel.   In fact, according to most M1911 marksmen, here is the order in which you can see the most improvement in accuracy in your typical 1911 (from most change to least change in accuracy):
1.  Sights (switching to highly visible sights)
2.  Trigger (crisp, creep free, no overtravel)
3.  Barrel fit at breech end (consistent lockup)
4.  Barrel fit at muzzle end (bushing fit)
5.  Slide rail tightening
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, if you want to fit your own 1911 barrel(s) then Kart Precision makes the best for the price IMHO...just
purchase the fitting kit that is normally sold separately from the funsmith fit barrels.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I used an "easy fit" barrel which requires the hood fitted and the appropriate length link chosen. Kart uses fitting pads between the locking lugs and comes with the proper link and a matched oversized OD bushing. It shrunk my groups by 1/2, not 1/2."

Unless the gun shoots terribly off a rest or it is to be a bullseye pistol it's not much worth it.

Mine turned out quite well using a files, a stone, and a very simple fixture to keep things square  (I used a block of some sort).

20141222_132707_LLS by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

It's not for the faint of heart as doing it wrong could mean ruining a $250 barrel and/or causing the gun to slowly beat itself to death.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top