Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2015 2:53:23 AM EDT
Hit the range tonight with my new Dan Wesson Razorback and my Colt Delta Elite Gold Cup.

I am a horrible 1911 shooter. What can I do to improve my skills? At 7 yards groups were virtually non existent, but I was consistently shooting about 6" low and to the right. I'm left handed.

When I switch back to my trusty Glock 20 I can actually hit what I'm aiming at. In fact tonight I was shooting my Kahr CW380 with brutally hot loads better than either 1911 at the same distance.

I did catch myself, or well my muscle memory at least, searching for the glock trigger reset when shooting the 1911s.

Shot about 350-400 rounds this evening, mostly Underwood. My hand hurts a bit... in fact the Glock even took a little skin when I was shooting with my weak hand.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Trigger control. Don't make the gun go off. Let the gun to off while steering the sights and squeezing the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Trigger control. Don't make the gun go off. Let the gun to off while steering the sights and squeezing the trigger.
View Quote
This guy is right.  It's hard to master IMO but trigger control is a HUGE component of shooting a handgun accurately

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
prolly jerking the trigger plus possibly tightening your fingers in anticipation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been shooting 1911s almost exclusively for years and years.

I can pick up a Glock any time and shoot it better than any 1911.

Some things just work better for some people.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Slow down and focus on the fundamentals of grip stance sights and trigger control. 300 rounds of practice using bad technique just reinforces bad habits. Shoot fifty rounds slowly ( take 20 minutes or more) focusing on things. Low right tells me you are jerking the trigger and either breaking your wrist in anticipation of recoil or as someone else mentioning tightening your whole grip while pulling the trigger. I swap between 1911 and glock all the time and actually find the reset similar- discharge the release trigger until clicks the. Squeeze again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

I shoot 1911s myself.  I can  pick up a Glock, and everything is in danger except the target.  (Not quite that bad, but it feels like it).

Some things do just work better for some people.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
You are anticipating and nosing the gun over to compensate for the recoil. Right handers shoot low left.  Load some dummy rounds in your mags to see if thats the problem. If you have a larger caliber revolver you can duplicate it with an dry hole.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If your 1911's have flat MSH's try changing them to arched, it will more closely match the grip angle of the Glock
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your 1911's have flat MSH's try changing them to arched, it will more closely match the grip angle of the Glock

Tried it.  I've owned Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Springfield Custom, Colt, custom guns built by Alchemy and others.  

I can go for years without touching anything other than a bad-ass 1911, pick up a Glock 19 and instantly become a better shooter.  I can do the same with a Beretta M9/92.  

I stick with the 1911 because it's a pistol that I will actually carry and have with me if and when I need it.  I tried carrying a Glock IWB and it never was comfortable enough to do it for very long.

I am seriously considering a switch to all 9mm or maybe a Glock 21 due to an old bull riding injury giving me a little pain these days.  They told me when I was a kid that all that bull riding was hurt when I got to middle age.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
GC, shoot that pistol off a sandbag on a bench.  Take your time and first see where the impact of bullet compared to sights is.  You will get the hang.  Love the 10mm.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I mostly shoot double action revolvers these days. That'll make one much less trigger picky and will firmly ingrain a steady pull and a proper follow through. It is the single biggest improvement I've made to my shooting in twenty-five years. These days I can shoot a 2" J frame as well as my 5" 1911.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Anticipation
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top