Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 2:49:26 AM EDT
Hey there, I was looking for some advice for some upgrades I plan on sending my "Loaded" Champion in for. I got the gun for a song (less than 500.00) and was planning on doing some mechanical upgrades. It shoots good but the trigger is a little on the heavy side and it doesn't have that tight feel that I prefer. The gun is accurate but, not as accurate as my stock NRM Series 80. I want to make it a little better, as the size and weight are in the "goldilocks zone" for me.

I plan on getting the following:
- Tighten Slide to frame 190.00
- Reliability Package 150.00
- Action Job with Tool Steel Components 275.00
- 30 LPI Front Strap Checkering 170.00

My question is whether the stock BBL that comes with the Loaded Champions is considered "Match"? I know "Match" is mostly a marketing term, but is this the top of the line BBL that Springfield offers?

I don't want to waste the time and money upgrading this barrel if I should just go for the "Accuracy Package" for 875.00.
I feel like I'm overthinking this matter. I plan on just doing the previous upgrades and then send it in again after I have shot it a while for some more Aesthetic type upgrades, like Serrations on rear of slide, rounding the butt, single side safety, and Meloniting/NP3/Hard Chroming the slide. This will be in my carry rotation and used for everything from carrying on my deer lease, to range use, and nightstand duty.

I guess another question is whether those finishes can be applied after the gun has been tightened?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had some thought about what I would do to improve my LW Champion Operator.  I've considered the trigger, the finish, adding a magwell, and maybe an adjustable rear sight.  When it comes down to it, I think I will do the magwell and the adjustable rear sight, but I am definitely getting it refinished.  The Armory Kote on the slide is not durable at all.

For the rear sight and magwell (or anything mechanical on the pistol), I will send it to Springfield.  For the refinish, I will send it to Dave Severns of Severns Customs.  Alchemy is also a good customizer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Well after talking to "Amanda" at Springfield Custom, I won't be doing the slide tightening as they only do that on a case by case basis on stainless guns. I instead have another set of upgrades planned.
? Action job, series 70 pistols (4.5 lb. pull or greater) with existing parts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $100.00
? Machine checker front strap, 30LPI (single stack models) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $170.00*
? Fit extended single side thumb safety (not ambidextrous) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 80.00
? Round butt of frame and mainspring housing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 65.00*
? Fit flat checkered mainspring housing (Specify ILS or non-ILS) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 75.00 (non-ILS)!!
Gun will be shipped by the end of the day or Monday evening. This will probably be it for now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I would do the defense package instead of the action job. It comes with a few extra things and they'd prob discount it do to you not needing a match bushing. And then send in a Wilson extractor to have them fit. Also its cosmetic but have them flush the frame to slide if there is any slide/extractor overhang at the rear of the slide. Won't cost much and looks real nice.

If your ejector is not pinned, have em pin it, they will do that for free.
I also like the Colt undercut, but that's 75.00
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Front strap checkering will be great.

I bobtailed my Champ, and it's the perfect size for a carry gun.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you mind my asking what ammunition that you carry and what kind of groups do you get from it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]

I just use WWB cause it's easy to get at walmart.

Groups aren't great, but I could ruin someone's day from 25yd. My full-size MC Operator actually holds way tighter groups. I don't know if it's because of the longer sight radius or it's just more accurate.  

Recycled pics:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top