Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2014 8:36:41 AM EDT
So, a customer brings in a frankenstein 1911 into the shop (JPE frame, Colt series 70 slide) and says it won't eject/extract (he couldn't quite make clear the problem). So he left it with us and I just took it in the range and fired two magazines. For me, it functioned fine - no ejection/extraction problems, although the ejection pattern appeared weak and erratic. Then I picked up the brass - here's what it looks like.

What's wrong with the pistol to make it do this? It's also leaving a healthy ding on the extraction groove, although I couldn't get a good picture of that.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#1]
my guess, Brass slaming into the slide, check ejector for correct one installed, check extracotr tension. Check correct recoil spring installed (16# std)
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Reloads?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like Gregory_K covered the bases on this one.  If the gun has gone a couple of thousand rounds with the same recoil spring, I would look at it first.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My guess would be extractor tension

My pro did similar things to brass when I had a bad extractor in it.

Replaced it, tuned and tensioned a new one and its been good to go ever since
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Replace recoil spring, yank the likely extended ejector out and put in a standard length one, check extractor tension. Does the pistol have an extended ejector in it?
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Also might try to get customer to lower ejection port and scallop the rear portion of the slide (if not already done). Weak ejection and square slide coming forward to batter brass?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top