Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2014 3:09:59 PM EDT
Was at a gun show this weekend and an old guy brought an old Colt 1911 said he had it in his safe for the last 30 years and didn't know a ton about it, I have been wanting to get one just don't know a ton about them but pulled the trigger.  I do know that reworks aren't worth near as much and it doesn't appear to be one but not positive.  It is P mark on the barrel lug, G mark on frame and slide, the serial number on the frame and slide match.  Not sure what all the marks are on the frame though around the trigger guard.  Any info would be great and if any one has an idea of price that would be nice to know and see if I got a deal or not.  A small area on the top of the slide is all I really see that may have been surface rust.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics not working
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn flickr let me see if photobucket will work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow!  If that isn't refinished that is a rare find!  No idiot mark makes me suspicious, but that's only because I don't know enough about them to give you any info....
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
According to colt serial number database the gun was made in 1941.

Looks like original finish. Due to the gun being way past it's experation date I will gladly dispose of it for you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow!  If that isn't refinished that is a rare find!  No idiot mark makes me suspicious, but that's only because I don't know enough about them to give you any info....
View Quote

I am honestly torn on what to think.  It is in pretty decent shape with only holster wear in the areas that you would expect.  The barrel has had some rounds through it and appears to be actually decent shape as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
holly crap......take it down and lets see the barrel........looks very good so far....markings and Inspector proof very crisp....
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The [WB] is an inspector mark and stands for "Waldemar Broberg".  The "P" stamps are proof marks and commonly found in those locations for WW2 guns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
That is more correctly a 1911A1 not 1911 and looks very nice what is the asking price?marks are pretty sharp which makes me think not a refinish, but would have to check if A1's that early might have originally been blued. Anything less than $1500 would be a smoking deal
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is more correctly a 1911A1 not 1911 and looks very nice what is the asking price?marks are pretty sharp which makes me think not a refinish, but would have to check if A1's that early might have originally been blued. Anything less than $1500 would be a smoking deal
View Quote

From the looking that I have been doing, the early part of 41 they did some blued and then switched to the Park finish for the majority of the year.  I paid $1800 for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Per Coolgunsite: Colt 729,993 to780,000: First parkerized pistol.  Parkerizing adopted as the standard finish.  Pistols in this range are observed to have a mixed assortment of  blued and parkerized small parts..

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:26:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes Sir, I believe that some early 1911A1s were blued, but I'm not 100% sure when the switch to Parkerizing happened either  (ETA ^ good info Rod, thanks).  It also has the earlier 1911 hammer which I think was common on the early 1911A1s.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
holly crap......take it down and lets see the barrel........looks very good so far....markings and Inspector proof very crisp....
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Nick

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Any one have a ballpark of what it's worth?
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any one have a ballpark of what it's worth?
View Quote

It's worth what someone is willing to pay. They last one I heard about sold for $1800.00.

If it's all original I think you did well. Not a smoking deal but about what it's worth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top