Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2014 8:24:47 AM EDT
I'm looking to pick up my first 1911.  I'm expecting to spend between $1000-$2000, with $1500 as a nice middle-of-the-road number.

I was at the "Fun" store yesterday and I got to fondle a very nice Springfield Armory TRP, black, fixed sights.  It was very nice.  I'm so used to Glocks and Striker-Fire polymer pistols, the fit and finish...and even just the trigger on the TRP was absolutely awesome to me.  Very nice.  I'm not sure how I felt about the checkered front strap as thats the first pistol I'd ever held with a checkered front strap.  It was kind of pointy and sharp.  I understand the purpose of it, and maybe I'd get used to it and its not an issue.  Or maybe it would drive me nuts and feel like I'm holding a cactus all the time.  Not sure.

I was wondering what recommendations you might have of other 1911's I should look into?  Would the TRP be a good choice?  A few searches through arfcom here shows that the TRP seems to be very highly thought of and recommended.  Anything else I should look at and you feel I might like?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#1]
At that price range I would go with a new Ed Brown or Dan Wesson, they are both High quality pistols. Just be sure to stay away from Kimbers . I plan on spending a little more & going with a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk in the future.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#2]
TRP would be a fine choice
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#3]
There are multiple threads that have been posted in the last few days dealing with pistols in that price range.
Check them out
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Dan Wesson.

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#5]
the trp is nice.

of course that was my first and now i want to upgrade to a professional.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#6]
As a first 1911 I'm not sure I'd be dropping that kind of coin.  Not everyone loves the platform.  You may discover you much prefer your Glocks etc and are now stuck with $2k wrapped up in a safe queen.  I would suggest one of the Rock Islands or a lower end Springer to see if you really like the system.  Easy to sell if you don't, upgradeable if you do, and decent pistols by themselves.  My "high end" 1911 is currently a Springfield Range Officer and I frankly see no need to go beyond that.  But its your money, spend however you like.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TRP would be a fine choice
View Quote

This would be my choice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#8]
for $1750 you can buy this Les baer NIB....30 LPI front strap so its not as aggressive as 21LPI.....great gun for the money...Baer Ultimate Tactical
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Springfield Armory TRP or Dan Wesson Valor.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Dan Wesson, Les Baer or STI would be good choices in your price range. I bought a STI Trojan for $1000 and it is fitted better, has a better trigger and shoots better than my TRP. That says a lot about STI, since the TRP is a very nice gun.

I would suggest you strongly consider the Trojan if you want to stay on the "low" end of your since it will be your first 1911. If you want to go on the "high" end of your budget, I would suggest the Baer. You should be able to find a few Wessons in your middle range.  Good luck
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Dan Wesson.

View Quote

This

I love my Valor

Gonna get a Wilson next time around though
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#12]
DW Valor. All barstock/tool steel small parts.  TRPs are nice, but they are high end production while the Valor would be more of a semi-custom.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:19:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the help, opinions, and advice.

I went back to the shop and was able to handle both the TRP and the DW Valor that was recommended above.  To my inexperienced hands, they felt very very close in feel and appeared very similar in fit and finish to me.  The trigger break and reset felt very similar, and I would have given an edge to the DW.  They only had the DW in stainless though (I wanted the black) and the out-the-door price was at the high end of my range.

The TRP finish was the exact one I wanted, and the out-the-door price was further inside of my range, I've read nothing but good things about the TRP here (with the exception of a general dislike of the 2-piece guide rod) so I decided to go with the TRP.

I pick it up on Saturday

I liked the idea of going with something that was semi-custom over high-end production, but I figured that after enjoying the TRP for some time I discovered that the TRP had become one of my favorite pistols to shoot and I fell in love with the 1911 platform, then maybe I'd look to pick up a higher end custom in the future...maybe a Nighthawk, a Wilson, Les Baer, etc.

Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Congrats!!

Ditching the 2-piece guide rod is quick, cheap, and easy. Go with Wilson or Ed Brown and never worry Bout those parts again.

Pics!!

Says the guy who bought a new S&W 1911TA last weekend and hasn't gotten around to taking any pictures yet...

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help, opinions, and advice.

I went back to the shop and was able to handle both the TRP and the DW Valor that was recommended above.  To my inexperienced hands, they felt very very close in feel and appeared very similar in fit and finish to me.  The trigger break and reset felt very similar, and I would have given an edge to the DW.  They only had the DW in stainless though (I wanted the black) and the out-the-door price was at the high end of my range.

The TRP finish was the exact one I wanted, and the out-the-door price was further inside of my range, I've read nothing but good things about the TRP here (with the exception of a general dislike of the 2-piece guide rod) so I decided to go with the TRP.

I pick it up on Saturday

I liked the idea of going with something that was semi-custom over high-end production, but I figured that after enjoying the TRP for some time I discovered that the TRP had become one of my favorite pistols to shoot and I fell in love with the 1911 platform, then maybe I'd look to pick up a higher end custom in the future...maybe a Nighthawk, a Wilson, Les Baer, etc.

Thanks again for the help.
View Quote
Nice, enjoy your new toy. I would go with the black DW valor also. Be sure to post some new pics of it when you have time
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#16]

I will never understand why people advise spending the maximum on a pistol. If you had money falling out of your pocket- go for it.

The TRP is an excellent choice. Spend the rest of the money on mags and ammo.

Like a poster above suggested- ditch the 2 piece FLGR for a GI guide rod and plug. It makes stripping the pistol much easier.

If you are buying new check the box for the loaded coupon. Check their price on mags against what you can buy them for elsewhere. I think the coupon might have a price on sights too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats on the TRP. I hope you update us with pictures.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I love my TRP and I'm sure you will too....

Grab some Wilson 8 rounders, Tripp 10 rounders and get rid of the full length rod for a 10-8 Performance standard rod and plug.

Then shoot the hell out of it....!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks again to everyone for all the help, advice, and opinions.  I picked the TRP up from my LGS on Saturday.  Obligatory pics are below.  Once I got it home and opened the case, I snapped a few pics although my lousy pics don't do it justice.  I haven't had the opportunity to shoot shoot it yet but I hoping to be able to sometime this week

Thanks for the heads up on the coupon.  There was indeed a "Loaded" coupon in the case and I'll certainly take advantage of it to at least pick up a few magazines.  I also intend to take the advice offered here and order a 10-8 Performance recoil spring plug and a Wilson standard 1-piece guide rod.

Thanks again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top