Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2014 3:24:27 PM EDT
After 15 years with Sig and Glocks I just brought an SR1911 and already have an issue with the 8 round mag. The first round nose dives and fails to feed.

If you take the 8 round mag down to 6 rounds it feeds fine.

Has anyone else seen this issue in your SR1911?

I've searched and haven't found any obvious issues with this model 1911 but does anyone know of any issues with the gun I should look out for?

What is your opinion of the gun?

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Junk the factory mags and use Wilson 47 (7 rounders), ETM (8 rounders) or Chip Mc Cormick Powermags (8 rounders).

A Ruger 1911 seems like a decent low-end 1911.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Junk the factory mags and use Wilson 47 (7 rounders), ETM (8 rounders) or Chip Mc Cormick Powermags (8 rounders).

View Quote

THIS is the answer
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

It seems like a solid gun. I didn't want to spend three grand on a platform I'm not sure I would like or shoot well. If I do well with it I will probably buy a Wson Combat.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It seems like a solid gun. I didn't want to spend three grand on a platform I'm not sure I would like or shoot well. If I do well with it I will probably buy a Wson Combat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 5" Wilson in 45 is helluva hard pistol to beat.  Springfield Customs are great too.  I'm not too fond of all the rest.  Don't give up on the platform if a cheapie leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

Joe Chambers did an evaluation on the Ruger awhile back and it was pretty favorable.  I've seen some Ruger frames and slides that Chuck Rogers has worked over, and those guys won't touch anything if it's not at least a decent chunk of steel....

I think the Ruger mags are Checkmate and Checkmate mags are junk.  Don't even fuck with 'em.  Get some 7 round Wilsons (please avoid the 8 round 47D) or some Powermags and see what's up.  I bet it runs.  If not, I'd contact Alchemy Custom Weaponry and see if Rob would be willing to do a complete reliability tune on your pistol to include a Wilson or EGW firing pin stop and extractor.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Try different quality magazines first. Most likely your problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely sounds like a magazine problem rather than something wrong with your pistol.

Try some Chip McCormick Power Mags, or Tripp Reasearch.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Bump with pics
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Most likely a quality mag will fix the problem.  However, what type of ammo are you using?  If using hollowpoints does it seem like the lip of the bullet is hanging up on the ramp?  If so some light polishing of the feed ramp may be in order.  Does the Ruger have a feed ramp that is integral with the barrel or is it the traditional type?  Any pics of the malfunction?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I own and shoot lots of 1911s.  Factory mags go into my "sell or trade" box.

I have no idea why manufacturers just don't include a WC47D, ETM, CMC PowerMag, or Tripp magazine with their pistols.  That would cut down on a lot of service calls.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have no idea why manufacturers just don't include a WC47D, ETM, CMC PowerMag, or Tripp magazine with their pistols.  That would cut down on a lot of service calls.
View Quote

Because checkmate mags are the OEM provider for several pistol makers and aren't exactly junk. The ones I use work great.
47d mags aren't the end all be all magazine either.  You can find lots of posts relating to issues with those
There is also a thread an another board where a Guncrafter owner is having problems with ETM mags.

I hope you get the idea...
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Because checkmate mags are the OEM provider for several pistol makers and aren't exactly junk. The ones I use work great.

47d mags aren't the end all be all magazine either.  You can find lots of posts relating to issues with those

There is also a thread an another board where a Guncrafter owner is having problems with ETM mags.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  There are a few good magazines for the 1911 but checkmates aren't one of them.  They are an OEM provider because they cost just pennies for a manufacturer like Ruger to include with the gun.  Even Ruger would have to pay $15 a piece for Wilson mags.  

If your pistol doesn't function with 7 round Wilson or McCormick mags then there is a problem with the pistol not the mags.

The few checkmates that you have that actually work are an insignificant sample size and are therefore meaningless.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#13]
That's fine.
I'm happy with my mags.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No.  There are a few good magazines for the 1911 but checkmates aren't one of them.  They are an OEM provider because they cost just pennies for a manufacturer like Ruger to include with the gun.  Even Ruger would have to pay $15 a piece for Wilson mags.    
If your pistol doesn't function with 7 round Wilson or McCormick mags then there is a problem with the pistol not the mags.

The few checkmates that you have that actually work are an insignificant sample size and are therefore meaningless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been running Checkmates through my Ruger without a hitch.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I actually have had good luck with the couple of Checkmates I've owned also. After shooting 1911s for a while though, I know that the ones I listed will work in every single 1911 in the safe so I tend to stick with them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Definitely sounds like a magazine problem rather than something wrong with your pistol.
View Quote

Yes try a different mag.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]
OP,

I ran into the exact same problem with the factory Ruger magazines.  
A cheap fix is to swap out the Ruger follower for a Wilson.  I got the spring & follower kit for $8 (Brownells IIRC) and the factory Ruger magazine now functions as well as my Wilson Combat magazines do, for 1/4 of the price
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP,

I ran into the exact same problem with the factory Ruger magazines.  
A cheap fix is to swap out the Ruger follower for a Wilson.  I got the spring & follower kit for $8 (Brownells IIRC) and the factory Ruger magazine now functions as well as my Wilson Combat magazines do, for 1/4 of the price
View Quote

Thanks for the tip. I called Ruger and they have a new one on the way to me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I believe the SR1911 is a bit oversprung out of the box.   I find it works easier with a 16 pound recoil spring instead of the 18 pound spring it ships with.   The 18 pound spring requires a strong mag spring and the right follower design to stand up to the increased force when the slide strips a round off the top of the stack.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#20]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:[/span]
I believe the SR1911 is a bit oversprung out of the box.   I find it works easier with a 16 pound recoil spring instead of the 18 pound spring it ships with.   The 18 pound spring requires a strong mag spring and the right follower design to stand up to the increased force when the slide strips a round off the top of the stack.
View Quote

+ 1 on the above and also, I have used Wilson 47Ds and ETMs for the last 10 years in both Match(ball) guns and in tactical guns, I only have 8 Rounders. I have used them in some very harsh conditions and I have had very few issues, less than or equal to both Glock or M&P mags. It has essentially been a non issue. Any and all mags will fail eventually.
When I got my SR1911 over the summer I had the same issue with the factory mags, ditch them and get some ETMs you won't regret it.

I have also had great luck with Metal form 7 and 8rndrs

Chuck
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I ran 300 rounds through mine this weekend. The only time I had this issue was when  i was riding the slide.  When i would slingshot it It never missed a beat.I ran 250 Fmj and 50 hp and it only happened with the fmj. Even so , that does not mean you are not having a mag issue.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I also have a new SR1911.  I had the same issue on the very first round I fired out of it, FTF.  I jammed that thing in there...  like a paper plate in a full dishwasher.  The problem never occurred again.  I was firing American Eagle 230gr FMJ.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:56:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't consider the SR-1911 a "low end" 1911, unless you classify everything based solely on price.  I can sell you a Rock Armory 1911 for $3000 if that makes you feel better?  Seriously, your SR has much more going for it than pistols costing twice as much.  All in all, you had a problem with a magazine and not the firearm, so I would keep it in mind and see if it irons out.  I have the same 8 round mag (stamped Ruger but made by Checkmate) and haven't had any issues yet.  I also have several other Checkmate mags and consider them very good quality.  Keep in mind that Checkmate makes a lot of mags for many manufacturers so some of your favorite mags you covet are probably Checkmate mags.  Any way, if you mag gives you trouble I would first clean it..maybe inspect the feed lips, try it with other ammo...all the sorts of things you're expected to do anyway.  

As an aside....can people stop comparing Ruger and Springfield 1911's to Wilson and Baer?  This is a really silly practice...the later are custom, hand fitted firearms costing 3 to 4 times as much money and taking many hours to fit and finish before sale.  It's really hard to directly compare the two classes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top