Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2014 1:58:35 PM EDT
I am looking to get a "high end" 1911.  I know everyone's definition of high end is different.  I was thinking of Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, Nighthawk, STI, Les Baer.  I am thinking 4" or 5" barrel, it will used for Range use, carry every so often.....have a Colt 1911 for EDC, but will also turn into a family heirloom.   I also will have some custom work done....IE: engraving, ambi-safety, sights, etc...  My question is for those who knowledgable in this area, who would you suggest and why?  My budget is in the $3,500 - $4,000.  If I have to have something's done later or in stages, I am ok with that.  I look forward to the responses.  

Thank you in Advance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Wilson or Brown.

But, if you want to go family heirloom/special, I'd buy a nice used Colt or  SA Mil Spec and sent it to Heirloom Precision, SA Custom Shop, or something like that and get exactly what you want.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I would get a Wilson Combat with the Turnbull blued finish if I wanted something heirloom-quality with a timeless look. Their small parts quality and attention to detail is the best it gets in that price range.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, you're in the price range that is based solely on personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, you're in the price range that is based solely on personal preference.
View Quote

Agree.  Just under $2K will get you a DW Valor which is every bit the gun quality wise that a Wilson or Brown is, but doesn't have the same panache.  

If your talking that kind of money, I'd get a Les Baer or DW and pocket the change.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I would go with the Wilson.  I currently own a Wilson, Nighthawk, Christensen and Dan Wesson 1911's.  The Dan Wesson is one hell of a production 1911, way better than any of the Kimbers I own and only a couple hundred dollars more.  However, if you are looking for a heirloom, the Wilson is the best of the best of the group.  With that said, the most gun for the money is the Dan Wesson though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]
If it were me I would be looking at Wilson Combat, Les Baer or Ed Brown.  STI makes great guns, I have an Elektra and it's fantastic but if you want a "high end", those would be my big three.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Ed Brown Kobra Karry.

/thread
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I added this to my 1911 collection a few months ago...Love it!
All of my other 1911s are Springfields, so this is definitely the most "high end" one I own.

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 3:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I got to shoot my friend's Ed Brown Kobra Carry and while it was just a couple of mags, it was obvious that it is a quality piece. You should take a look at one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd go with a Wilson or a custom built on a Caspian, Colt or Springfield by a good 1911 shop.

STI is far from high end and ugly as fuck, Dan Wesson is decent but I'm not a fan at all.  It's hard to wait for a custom order to get the ridiculous rollmarks deleted from most of the 'high end' guns.

How 'bout a Springfield Custom?  Osage Co Guns has a bunch on Gunbroker all the time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I own a Les Baer TRS, Ed Brown and Dan Wesson as well as others.  IMO the Dan Wesson is at the same level as my Springfield TRP, the Baer is the next step up and the Brown and Wilson (based on what I've been told by people who shoot) is the top of the mass produced high end 1911's.  Buy a Wilson, everyone I know that own's one loves them, I've also been told they have great customer service.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#12]
SV.infinity, or limcat custom, if you want something truly special, and high end.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the less flashy 1911's.

I'd probably get a Wilson CQB, Ed Brown Executive Elite, or Nighthawk GRP.  The Wilson CQB Elite is close to your price range.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#14]
All of the above suggestions are great

I do like the Wilsons and Baers best personally

Of course if its going to be an heirloom...classic style might be the way to go, with a few things that are unique...

Turnbull 1911
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
In that price range there are some really good options available.  The only problem is, in order to get one exactly like you want it (custom order), you might have to wait a year or two to have it built, depending on which shop you go with.  

The WC CQB Elite is an excellent choice in that price range and you can usually find those available through Gunbroker or George at gunslingers.  With a grand or two more depending on specs, you could be into a Supergrade.  

The Nighthawk Enforcer/Vickers is a well built gun if you can find one, however the Vickers model is discontinued.  

Springfield Armory, as you probably know, has an excellent custom shop.  The Distinguished Limited model would get you in that price range.  They will also build you anything you want and use any parts you want, including slide/frames from other manufacturers.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm sorry.  A production Dan Wesson is simply not in the same league as a Brown or Wilson.  Yes, a DW 1911 is a fine gun and can be a best-bang-for-the-buck contender and shoot very well.  But the fit/finish and ability to customize is simply not on par with your semi-custom and true custom guns.  If you want an heirloom, that is every bit as beautiful and painstakingly built inside and out, DW is not it. A DW is not a bad gun by any stretch, it just isn't in the same league.   But, my point is only relevant if you have decided that you are willing to spend noticeably more for features that few will appreciate beyond a simple rollmark.  

I've never shot a true high end custom 1911 (think Heirloom Precision type stuff), but I can tell you that my CQB-E shoots noticeably different than any other 1911 I have ever shot or owned.  And that opinion is consistent with all others who have had trigger time on the gun.  It's just so freakin' smooth in everything it does.  And it is flawless both inside and out. Hard to describe.  You just have to handle it and shoot it to understand.  My comparison list includes use of (or ownership of) the following:  multiple TRS's, multiple Kimbers, DW Bobtail, a fullhouse rebuilt Novak Kimber, Fusion, stock Colts, AMT (junk), STI's, a single Nighthawk GRP, and a couple more that escape me.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I suggest pricing out your engraving first and then working back to whatever 1911 you can afford with what is left over.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm sorry.  A production Dan Wesson is simply not in the same league as a Brown or Wilson.  Yes, a DW 1911 is a fine gun and can be a best-bang-for-the-buck contender and shoot very well.  But the fit/finish and ability to customize is simply not on par with your semi-custom and true custom guns.  If you want an heirloom, that is every bit as beautiful and painstakingly built inside and out, DW is not it. A DW is not a bad gun by any stretch, it just isn't in the same league.   But, my point is only relevant if you have decided that you are willing to spend noticeably more for features that few will appreciate beyond a simple rollmark.  
View Quote

In my experience, the DW Valor is every bit as good as most of the semi-custom guns (Wilson, Brown, Baer).  The only advantage I see is that you may get some customization choices if you're willing to wait a year on one of the semis.  I've owned 3 DWs, 1 Baer, and 1 Brown and in some ways the Valor outdid them.  For example, take a look at the plunger tube staking on the Kobra Carry here:

Staking

Some would argue that it's not a big deal since a grip panel will hold the tube in place anyway, but it bugged me.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Another good high end 1911 maker is Guncrafter Industries.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In my experience, the DW Valor is every bit as good as most of the semi-custom guns (Wilson, Brown, Baer).  The only advantage I see is that you may get some customization choices if you're willing to wait a year on one of the semis.  I've owned 3 DWs, 1 Baer, and 1 Brown and in some ways the Valor outdid them.  For example, take a look at the plunger tube staking on the Kobra Carry here:

Staking

Some would argue that it's not a big deal since a grip panel will hold the tube in place anyway, but it bugged me.

View Quote

I certainly do not take issue with your experiences or opinion, my experience set and opinions are just different.  OP is the only one that can say what is important to him, his tastes, and ultimately, his budget.  If he can live with a DW as his "high-end" 1911, then he will be served well.  I had the choice. I went a different route on multiple occasions.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am looking to get a "high end" 1911.  I know everyone's definition of high end is different.  I was thinking of Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, Nighthawk, STI, Les Baer.  I am thinking 4" or 5" barrel, it will used for Range use, carry every so often.....have a Colt 1911 for EDC, but will also turn into a family heirloom.   I also will have some custom work done....IE: engraving, ambi-safety, sights, etc...  My question is for those who knowledgable in this area, who would you suggest and why?  My budget is in the $3,500 - $4,000.  If I have to have something's done later or in stages, I am ok with that.  I look forward to the responses.  

Thank you in Advance.
View Quote

You will not beat a Wilson, best quality semi-custom available.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm sorry.  A production Dan Wesson is simply not in the same league as a Brown....
View Quote

You don't know how right you are. My Valor is so much better than my Brown its not even close.  Brown can't even fit their own parts worth a damn, and they top that particular cake with horrible customer service.

If your into pain, I'll let you come hold my Ed Brown special forces.  The beavertail fit is so bad it will cut you.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Volkmann 1911
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:14:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Volkmann 1911
View Quote

WOW!

That's impressive work.

Heirloom quality.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#25]
In my opinion, there is no such thing as a mass produced custom.  Get a nice fitting Springfield Armory Mil-Spec... go to a gun show and play with some.  There will be some tight ones and some loose ones.  Pick the best fitting you find.  Then send it to a COMPETENT pistol / gunsmith.  Have them do all the custom work.  With the right smith, it will be a better, more reliable, custom (to you... not to a catalog picture) firearm.  You will spend about the same... maybe a little less once it is done.  You will have everything you want and nothing you don't.

Send to Ed Vanden Berg at Vanden Berg Custom.  I've mentioned him here before.  His number is 281-480-3180.  His e-mail is: [email protected].  He has done three 1911's for me (and numerous rifles) and they are all 100%.  Don't take my word for it.  Ask around.  Do your own research.  Call Ed.  He'll talk with you.  You will not be disappointed.

That's all I've got,
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#26]

I own a Kobra Carry and a Wilson CQB. The Wilson is a better gun. Cant go wrong with either , but i like the Wilson more.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Buy a Colt or any other solid pistol, send to Bob Rodgers, get back the finest, most accurate, most reliable, best looking 1911 you've ever seen or touched.  My bucket 1911 will be just this.

http://www.rodgerspistolsmithing.com/

or another Rogers:

http://www.rogersprecision.com/

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I would like to thank everyone for their input.  I was at my LGS last night and they had a Wilson Combat CBQ Elite.  It was used, but in like new shape.  It has maybe 500 rounds through it.  I was told by the assistant manager that it was traded in by a guy who has about 16 different Wilson's and he is more of a collector then a shooter.  Based on what I could see, looked at the barrel, the hammer, funnel.....everything looked in new condition.  I will send to Wilson to have a few things done.  IE: ambi-safety, different grips.  Some engraving on the slide, undecided whether to get a new slide or not...it has the serrated cuts they offer on the top and not sure how I feel about them yet.  I paid $2,750 out the door.  I figure with what I want to do, it'll probably cost me in the $600-700 range, so I'd be ahead about $400-500, but won't have the long wait for a new unit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would like to thank everyone for their input.  I was at my LGS last night and they had a Wilson Combat CBQ Elite.  It was used, but in like new shape.  It has maybe 500 rounds through it.  I was told by the assistant manager that it was traded in by a guy who has about 16 different Wilson's and he is more of a collector then a shooter.  Based on what I could see, looked at the barrel, the hammer, funnel.....everything looked in new condition.  I will send to Wilson to have a few things done.  IE: ambi-safety, different grips.  Some engraving on the slide, undecided whether to get a new slide or not...it has the serrated cuts they offer on the top and not sure how I feel about them yet.  I paid $2,750 out the door.  I figure with what I want to do, it'll probably cost me in the $600-700 range, so I'd be ahead about $400-500, but won't have the long wait for a new unit.
View Quote

Is my computer broken? Dont see any pics...
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Excellent choice

Be sure and post some pictures when you get it back from WC...
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:49:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Excellent choice

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent choice

THIS!  Well done. You will be thrilled.

Something must be wrong with my 'outer…..I can't see any pic's of your CQB-E.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#32]
There are no pics yet.  It is still at my LGS.  I didn't have enough coin with me to take it home, I don't like using CC for these purchases. It is on layaway.  My LGS takes good care of me in that way.  Once I get it home before it goes to WC there will be pics, then pics once I get it back from WC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top