Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2013 3:37:39 AM EDT
I like SIG and I've been thinking about buying a 1911. Any issues? Anyone have one?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one. No issues with it so far. I've put a few hundred rounds down the pipe and haven't had any issues with feeding ammo or anything.

I'm not a huge fan of the sig profile slide though. I thought it wouldn't bother me at first - but after owning it a while I prefer traditional 1911s. And the "XO Finish" is not as durable as advertised. Mine has a few marks on it with ZERO hard use (it sits in my gun cabinet until I take it to the range - that's all...).

The standard XO  also doesn't have much of a "wow" factor. Its a solid piece and the front strap checkering on it is a nice feature. But I decided to sell mine for a TRP.

If I had it to do over again I'd either get the Tac Ops or the Scorpion and enjoy a few added features and a different finish.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a tacpac, same internals as all sig 1911s.
Mine feeds everything from tula to hollow points.
Great accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:58:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The one I own has a few thousand rounds downrange and still looks like new.   It's about as accurate as you can expect for a sub-$1000 gun.   I don't recall ever fighting reliability issues with it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the Scorpion Carry TB and really like it.  I have not torture tested it, but I haven't had any failures so far.        

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a fairly new XO with the tac pac. I only have maybe 150 rounds on it but it hasn't given me any trouble. Holsters are harder to find for the sig profile slide but that's the only complaint it would have. I ended up ordering a holster from S&S holsters.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one. No issues with it so far. I've put a few hundred rounds down the pipe and haven't had any issues with feeding ammo or anything.

I'm not a huge fan of the sig profile slide though. I thought it wouldn't bother me at first - but after owning it a while I prefer traditional 1911s. And the "XO Finish" is not as durable as advertised. Mine has a few marks on it with ZERO hard use (it sits in my gun cabinet until I take it to the range - that's all...).

The standard XO  also doesn't have much of a "wow" factor. Its a solid piece and the front strap checkering on it is a nice feature. But I decided to sell mine for a TRP.

If I had it to do over again I'd either get the Tac Ops or the Scorpion and enjoy a few added features and a different finish.

View Quote

The new XOs are finished in ion bond so very good finish. Earlier ones were some spray on junk. I have one about 5 years old and it is accurate & reliable. Probably 7,500 through it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine works well and is very accurate. I bought it used for a very good price then sent it in to SIG and had night sights put on it and a full detail strip, inspection etc..as part of SIG's used pistol - new owner program. It has been completely GTG with about 1,800 rounds of different types through it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I handled one at my LGS and the 25 lpi front strap checkering felt pretty rough, do you think I will get used to it?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I handled one at my LGS and the 25 lpi front strap checkering felt pretty rough, do you think I will get used to it?
View Quote

I think so.   When you're actually shooting it, it's not something that you really notice.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Sig makes a great gun. Their 1911 is no exception. But with a name like "p226guy", I'm sure you already know this.

I'd say you're good to FO!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Can you put black wraparound Pachamyr grips on a gun with front strap checkering?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can you put black wraparound Pachamyr grips on a gun with front strap checkering?
View Quote

You could, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the checkering being there in the first place...if you don't want checkering get something like a Springfield Range Officer and put the wraparounds on it. Truth be told, the RO is probably a better value for the money anyway...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You could, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the checkering being there in the first place...if you don't want checkering get something like a Springfield Range Officer and put the wraparounds on it. Truth be told, the RO is probably a better value for the money anyway...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If only it didnt have a park'd finish
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not sure that's a real detriment on a first 1911. Ionbond is a PITA to work with if you ever decide to modify the frame unless you have it stripped completely, and for a first 1911, there's a good chance there's going to be a desire for some mods down the line. I'd take the parkerizing up front, have the gun done up however I wanted, and then have it refinished in whatever later. I'm thinking more about which is a better base gun, and that may not be the direction the OP is headed.

But I didn't mean to hijack the thread...if the OP wants a Sig XO with wraparound grips, that's the great thing about the free market
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Fortunately there isn't much needing to be changed on the XO.   It already has the basics plus checkering.  The only thing I felt it needed was for the snag-prone bottom row of checkering to be smoothed out.    I'm also not a big fan of the grip safety.  I'm used to beavertails that let your hand get further up on the gun, and I always seem to get too high of a grip on the SIG.   Of course, this may not ever be a problem for anyone else... it's just what I'm used to doing.

The nice thing about the IonBond is that at least blued replacement parts can be fit and still look pretty close to factory.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I totally disagree with that statement.  I have shot the two side by side many times at the range, and each time I'm very glad that the Sig is the one that comes home with me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:51:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Fortunately there isn't much needing to be changed on the XO.   It already has the basics plus checkering.  The only thing I felt it needed was for the snag-prone bottom row of checkering to be smoothed out.    I'm also not a big fan of the grip safety.  I'm used to beavertails that let your hand get further up on the gun, and I always seem to get too high of a grip on the SIG.   Of course, this may not ever be a problem for anyone else... it's just what I'm used to doing.

The nice thing about the IonBond is that at least blued replacement parts can be fit and still look pretty close to factory.
View Quote

The beavertail is what I have a fit with too. I like Sig a lot, and the P-series guns are some of my favorite handguns of all time, but I've seen some things with the 1911 line that I'm just not thrilled with.

The XO does have a lot of features out of the box, though. And blued small parts almost matching is a definite plus.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently received my 1911 Carry, Nitron finish with rosewood grips. On the first outing, I ran 50 rounds of Remington green box through it and experienced several failures to return to battery, usually on the last round of a mag. A slight nudge would see the slide finish its travel. Mags were factory, plus one Chip McCormick Classic 8 rounder. All mags performed the same. The gun was fresh off the FedEx truck. Went back out a few days ago with WWB, same mags, a pretty oily pistol, and a slightly polished breech face. Approximately 150 or so rounds with no issues whatsoever. She's purring like a kitten. Fit and finish are what you expect from Sig. Gun is very smooth. One of the factory mags came with a little ding on the feed lip. I straightened it a bit and it works although the follower hangs a little. Sig has sent me an rma and will replace it. Very pleased with the gun. I traded into this one from a Ruger SR 1911 that I just couldn't get to run 100%. The Sig is overall a much nicer pistola IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top