Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2013 2:28:37 PM EDT
been looking for a decent used 1911 heard good things about these what you think about this price??

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2242881/illinois-handguns-for-sale--ruger-sr-1911-for-sale-
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems a bit high.  $700 new is more like it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't pay 725 for it. I bought my 5" model for 700 new when they were still hard to find.  That being said, I like my ruger full size very well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it was a bit high myself i figured 625 650 was more reasonable if he would take it
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
probably a bit high, but a buddy of mine had one that ran like a champ.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Tons on gunbroker for low $600's.  I bought mine there for $624; the next day someone posted one for $599.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
we settled on 625 but he is saving me an hours drive by meeting so him working with me is worth the little extra. They seem to have pretty good review from what all I have read and would like some personal experiences.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several hundred rounds through mine. Not one single malfunction of any kind. It is also one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot. I paid $775 for mine with a new Safariland ALS and a box of hardball ammo. A bit high by today's prices but when I bought it they were going for over $800 everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
A very nice for the money 1911 Commander style pistol.  I have one purchased three weeks ago, NITB for $629.00.  Nice finish, fit and trigger.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had mine since March. I've probably put about 3,000 or so rounds through it (full size).
Before shooting it I put in a 16# recoil spring. I have shot both soft and heavy reloads (mostly round nose lead 230 gr).
Mostly it does steel challenge and IDPA duty.
I have not had one malfunction. I use Chip McCormick mags.  I have used the factory mags and they work just fine.
Love the gun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are my two:

Very accurate and extremely reliable.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Too high IMO. I got mine new for $599 and tax new earlier this year. But, and that is a big but, the used prices don't drop much from new, so it just depends on availability in your area and how much your really want it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I saw a Ruger Commander at a local store for $799.  I didn't care much for the gun or the price.

Link Posted: 10/22/2013 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#13]
i have seen $400 RIA pistols that were a better deal for your money.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I gave 700 for my Government length when the dealers were still claiming they wer hard to get. I am complete happy with it. It shoots straight, looks fantastic and to this day has never choked on anything I stuff in it. I would recommend them to anyone, except for the guy's that think you can't get a good 1911 for under a grand.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I gave $610 for mine (used, 50 rounds through it) shipped to FFL.

Loving it so far.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-sr1911-centerfire-pistol-45-acp-8rd-5in-stainless-44522

$649 with free shipping

BK
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#17]
LGS has one under 700$... Considering a 10mm conversion.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Well i bought it very first 1911 finally in the big boy club . Very happy with the way it feels and the actual make of the gun. It feels very well made, but feeling isn't everything this weekend I will run a couple hundo through it and see how it does. Its gonna be quite a change from my m&p.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I finally picked one up to add with all my Colts. I love it.  It won't be going anywhere. For the price you can't beat it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I got mine for $700 OTD.  It is much nicer than any SA that I have seen in that price range, or even a little more.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#21]
These things are nearly impossible to find.
I'm on a waiting list at 3 shops.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These things are nearly impossible to find.
I'm on a waiting list at 3 shops.
View Quote

You've heard of the internet right? Plenty of availability in the low to mid $600's, they've been as low as $599 at online dealers in the past month.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.hoffgun.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RUG6702&Category_Code=FEAT&Product_Count=8

look for a new gun shop. they were just 629.00, the prices are all over the place but they are out there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I have posted some pics of two brand new pistols, the other day, one being an SR1911. Before I had the poor quality issues with a couple Rugers in the past few weeks, I thought this gun was the best 1911 for the price. They still are IF the front sights don't screw up and break.  I'm still on the fence about getting rid of this one when it gets back. It was great up to the point of failure. Great meaning it exceeded my expectations by a longshot.

Front sight broke, while shooting follow up shot.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:56:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I am seeing more used ones than new ones.  I think the returns speak for themselves.  

Ruger made a good go at making a bulky frame with a bulky hammer and tossed in enough MIM to ice the cast cake.

edit to add: as above, the front sights are breaking.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#26]
That was between 300 and 400 rounds, too.

You should see my 22/45 Lite's problems. Yeah, one of the Minor problems with it was the front sight. Only 150 rounds.
Great concept guns. Piss poor QC. As I have said earlier, Ruger DOES have excellent customer service. Lots of practice and all.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even with wonky casting being a possibility... how does that even happen?  Non stressed part... if the movement of the slide is enough to cause that part to fail... yeesh.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I've been on my LGS's SR1911 waiting list for quite a while and with all I've been reading with fit, problems, and returns, I think I'm probably going to pass on it if it ever comes in.

I recently bought an SR45 on Gunbroker and it had to go back to Ruger CS for multiple issues that made me wonder how it ever left the factory.  I have to say their customer service is great and they had turned it around in less than a week.  I really like the SR design but the example I got was poorly executed, IMO.  This one will most likely get peddled.  

I feel what I saw with the SR45 is a very strong indicator that their QC has slipped to get stuff out the door.  In my mind it's not a way to run a company if you're concerned about your reputation.  I used to work for a "premium brand" manufacturing company that operated the same way, and the only way they stayed afloat was to have a heavy customer service department to handle all the complaints for the crap we sent out.  What was interesting was our main competitor had 2/3 the market share and their CS was minimal because they didn't have the issues.

I just may just stick with my MKIII 22 pistols (which I'm very happy with) and call it good for Ruger products.  That and generally avoid guns made during the rush of 2013.  Fortunately there are other options for 1911's out there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I am seeing more used ones than new ones.  I think the returns speak for themselves.  

Ruger made a good go at making a bulky frame with a bulky hammer and tossed in enough MIM to ice the cast cake.

View Quote
Hammer meets nail.  I don't know what it is that makers other than Colt or Kimber have to make that beefy, unpointable frame....

However, ever one of these ( from any maker ) that breaks even low stress part just proves to me that MIM has no place on a firearm....not even the sights.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Hammer meets nail.  I don't know what it is that makers other than Colt or Kimber have to make that beefy, unpointable frame....

However, ever one of these ( from any maker ) that breaks even low stress part just proves to me that MIM has no place on a firearm....not even the sights.

View Quote

A MIM part that is made correctly will work just fine, and there are plenty of examples out there of successful use if the MIM process used for parts that see a fair amount of stress.  It's a process like any other, and if it's not done correctly you can get a defective part.

The front sight is a great application for MIM, however in this case I'd have to say they whoever is making them doesn't have their process dialed in properly and there's bad parts out there.  In any case it does not make Ruger look good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#31]
I have the commander style
About 7 boxes thru it so far , for a total of 350 rounds ( all 230 gr ball ) I typically run 500 rounds of ball before trying anything else
Not a long term test , but I waited for the. Ruger craze to die down a bit on the SR1911 CMD  . Had it about 60 days so far

This is very accurate AMERICAN made 1911 and that means something to me

I have carried it a few times , but weather has not cooled off enough for jacket ( OWB carry )

I like 1911s , I own 4 others right now

I have had great luck with Ruger customer service so I was not worried about anything . I have spoken with people that work at RUGER factories in the good ole USA ( again this may not be a deal breaker for you -  but I'm not willing to deal with an importer ) do your own research and by what you like . Keep in mind they have been huge sellers since they were introduced , a few people on the net based forums have had "failures" but based on the staggering number Ruger has produced. I will take my chances here .
For the all the features  , series 70 , Genuine NOVAK sights ( if they don't have NOVAK stamped in them there just a cheap copy ) I challenge you to find a pistol for the $600-$700 price that beats the value ....

I plan to add a full size as well.
Very happy with my Ruger SR1911cmd
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:12:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That was between 300 and 400 rounds, too.

You should see my 22/45 Lite's problems. Yeah, one of the Minor problems with it was the front sight. Only 150 rounds.
Great concept guns. Piss poor QC. As I have said earlier, Ruger DOES have excellent customer service. Lots of practice and all.
View Quote

So Rugers CS is because they have a lot of returns, yet all I hear about is SA having great CS.   What is the difference?

I will watch for the front sight to break, hasn't yet.  And I would like to know what I am missing about the bulky frame.  

I can't tell a difference in the frames, but, to be fair, the grip safety doesn't let the web of my hand ride up as far as my other 1911's.  I do notice that.  And don't like it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Found mine at the LGS last March as I was quitting my job. I bought it to celebrate. $669. Functions flawlessly on all ammo I have tried. Just 300 rounds through it. But as it ran flawlessly I started carrying it. No broken sight yet or any other issues. I really like it! Shoots even better than the Springer I used to own. More accurate than my RIA that I really like. First time at the range I was able to shot bull's-eyes out of the targets with it! It was THAT accurate for me. You can really call your shots with it!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#34]
they are terrible I have had mine since they first hit the street . this is the best I can do at 15 yds standing rapid fire 6 magazines 8 rounds per mag.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been carrying a full size since August as my suit gun for work when I'm not wearing my uniform.

As of Thursday, I've got 1100 rnds through it.  Other than not liking the original grips, the gun is stupid accurate and I've had no reliability issues.  That doesn't mean I don't watch these threads to be prepared, but mine is GTG.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I have one on the way. It should be here early next week. I am excited to get it out to the range and put some rounds through it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
they are terrible I have had mine since they first hit the street . this is the best I can do at 15 yds standing rapid fire 6 magazines 8 rounds per mag.
View Quote

I see it let you down and put one in the 9 ring, obviously a crap pistol...
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats not from a bullet, the front sight flew off and hit the 9 ring. sorry, I just had to.  I will never understand all the complaining. if you like them buy them and if you dont then avoid them but all the bitching in the world isnt going to change a mans mind if he hasnt seen any problems with his. I think by now a lot of the little issues should be worked out. I dont own one and have no desire to buy one but I wont try to talk anyone out of buying one just because I like other ones. In a 24 hr period I swear I have heard reasons to avoid every gun maker on earth, some cant afford them so they smear the name and others are made of money and trash talk anything under 1000 bucks so I guess there are no good pistols left to buy and that means our problems are solved, Thanks God.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have posted some pics of two brand new pistols, the other day, one being an SR1911. Before I had the poor quality issues with a couple Rugers in the past few weeks, I thought this gun was the best 1911 for the price. They still are IF the front sights don't screw up and break.  I'm still on the fence about getting rid of this one when it gets back. It was great up to the point of failure. Great meaning it exceeded my expectations by a longshot.

<a href="http://s655.photobucket.com/user/TrAnScEnDeNt08/media/20131020_041035.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/TrAnScEnDeNt08/20131020_041035.jpg</a>
View Quote

Ruger will take care of it. Apparently, they had a bad batch of MIM for the front sights. They will rectify it.

Other than that, I'd say they are still one of the best buys in the 1911 world.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Ruger will take care of it. Apparently, they had a bad batch of MIM for the front sights. They will rectify it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s655.photobucket.com/user/TrAnScEnDeNt08/media/20131020_041035.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/TrAnScEnDeNt08/20131020_041035.jpg</a>

I should be getting it back sometime this week. I have missed shooting it, and I have a few other 1911's and other polymer 45's also. My anticipation waiting for this one to show back up showed me that I should keep it.
Most of the frustration comes from the fact that two guns had failures within a few days of each other, and the comments the service guy made on the phone about the other one. The SR does put a smile on my face. [/eatcrow]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top