Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2013 11:27:09 AM EDT
I'm looking to get a magwell for my 1911 Springer.The one I like is the Smith & Alexander,but would like to see what you guys have used and like.
Pics would be great.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
older S&A arched mag well on a Springfield Armory 1911...sorry about the focus

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the one piece S&A magwell, you'll thank me later. It's worth every penny.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm looking to get a magwell for my 1911 Springer.The one I like is the Smith & Alexander,but would like to see what you guys have used and like.
Pics would be great.
View Quote

That's the one....
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The S&A is a good unit.   Some fitting is required more often than not.   Sometimes the S&A MSH won't fully install over the sear spring, so filing a clearance for the sear spring is something I find myself doing a lot.  

Sometimes the MSH hole won't line up exactly with the frame holes, so I use a round file to slightly enlarge the MSH hole to get enough clearance to install the MSH pin.   If the hole is really off, I'd suggest returning it and trying another brand of magwell.

And sometimes there is a noticeable gap between the bottom of the frame and the magwell.   There isn't much that can really be done about this by the typical owner, except for installing some longish magwell cut grips that hide the gap.  This is where a two-piece design with a detachable magwell can come in handy, since the MSH can be filed down enough to close the gap.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys.I have used their mainspring housings before,but never one of the magwells.Well off to Brownell's
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You can buy the magwell cheaper by calling smith and alexander directly. I know midway charges more for them than what s&a does
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Neither of these are mine, but blatantly stolen from the web.
I wanted to post just to mess with your head.

I think the S&A ones only look good when the frame isn't blended for a regular MSH, whether it may be flat or arched

I like the two piece versions if adding to a production gun

Here is an archived picture thread
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=97152
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
As everyone else has said, get an S&A.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with the Nighthawk one piece on my GRP Recon

This is the only pic I have of it right now without a mag in it

Sir James...
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I went this route
DSCN1579 by _Fski_, on Flickr" />
Hogue Magwell  grips (G10 Pirahna) comes in several colors. Good if you have burly hands like me
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#11]
SA blend to fit paint to match.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Got me a S&A magwell on the way.Gonna blend it if needed.This will kill two birds with one stone,get me a magwell and do away with the ILS on the pistol.
Thanks for all the help guys and the pics,they really helped alot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Dont forget the new internals when replacing the ils.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#14]
If you ordered it directly from S&A then they will pretty much automatically sell you the elimination kit for the springfields. It's like $10 I think
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Got the internals and all for just under 70.00 bucks from S&A.Now I just have to figure out what grips to put on it ,oh the decisions we are forced to make
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top