Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2013 3:22:27 PM EDT
I am in the middle of figuring if I should buy this used Ed Brown EE (Executive Elite)

I thought Ed Brown parts were not MIM?

here is what the original owner has told me:

"It is original except for the MIM parts.    I have built  30 + 1911s.   The only thing that required fitting was the EGW bushing,  Harrison slide stop and over travel on trigger.  The C&S kit only required setting the poundage on the spring.  I fit the part and have been doing so for years. "

"...I replaced the EB parts, because they are better parts,   they are forged vs. MIM.    The EGW parts and Harrison parts were all hand fit, the C&S parts just happened to fit, this was luck, as most sears, disco and hammers require a certain amount of fitting.   I just sold my Wilson CQB, that also had the same upgrades.  One other thing is the grips, they are Desert Iron Wood,  smooth, no checkering. I have no way to load photos, my camera is a 35mm.  The barrel and chamber are as new;  I have one EB mag and bag. .  The crown on the barrel is factory, I fit the EGW bushing to fit flush.
Slide is clean except for EE on right side, Ed Brown and ser # are on right side of frame."

He says he can't send me pics because he does not have a digital camera...also says its 8 years old.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
pass. if it sounds funny it usually is and this is funny for sure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
he gave me his phone number...anyone want to call him and see if this guy is a scammer?

This would be my first 1911 so I am not an expert by any means but I did not think any Ed Brown had MIM parts...?

The no pics thing is weird though the guy could just be really old -school.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
RUN AWAY
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
could be a number of things but if there were something wrong with ed browns gun then ed should fix it. now theres no warranty and god knows whats wrong with it.
could be legit but its sure a roll of the dice and most likely alot of money to risk.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RUN AWAY
View Quote

^^this ^^

I have an EE from 2008, I don't believe it has MIM in it, but I can't say for certain.
Either way this one has been "smiffed " by someone who's credentials you don't know. I've been driving for 30years, doesn't mean I'm particularly good at it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Ed Brown is not a run of the mill 1911. Why did he do all that shit to what should have been a pretty nice gun to start with?

Sounds like Bubba went crazy with the Brownell's catalog.

Pass.......
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I am in the middle of figuring if I should buy this used Ed Brown EE (Executive Elite)

I thought Ed Brown parts were not MIM?

here is what the original owner has told me:

"It is original except for the MIM parts. I have built 30 + 1911s. The only thing that required fitting was the EGW bushing, Harrison slide stop and over travel on trigger. The C&S kit only required setting the poundage on the spring. I fit the part and have been doing so for years. "

"...I replaced the EB parts, because they are better parts, they are forged vs. MIM. The EGW parts and Harrison parts were all hand fit, the C&S parts just happened to fit, this was luck, as most sears, disco and hammers require a certain amount of fitting. I just sold my Wilson CQB, that also had the same upgrades. One other thing is the grips, they are Desert Iron Wood, smooth, no checkering. I have no way to load photos, my camera is a 35mm. The barrel and chamber are as new; I have one EB mag and bag. . The crown on the barrel is factory, I fit the EGW bushing to fit flush.

Slide is clean except for EE on right side, Ed Brown and ser # are on right side of frame."

He says he can't send me pics because he does not have a digital camera...also says its 8 years old.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Sounds like a dicked up gun.  Don't walk away.  RUN!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Not with someone elses dick. Nope pass on this!
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]
He said he'll try to send me pics tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#10]
just what do you hope the pics will clear up? he worked on a expensive gun with a warranty, now it has no warranty and he wants to sell it? its your money to waste.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

wtf do you need pics for?

It;s like he said he has a corvette but he replaced some of the better made parts with ones he pulled from a junked chevette.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]
He owns an Ed Brown, used to own a Wilson and doesn't have a phone that takes pics?

.................seems legit.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
RUN
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote
Don't make this into a poop thread.....

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#15]
An original crown is not flush with an EGW bushing. No amount of fitting will make it so. Some brown parts are cast but their quality is good. Fire control would not need replacing at all. Guy is a jackass. Do not trust.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:57:03 PM EDT
[#16]
outside of any MIM discussion: I built my own carry gun, none of what he is saying is wrong and he names all the higher end parts/manufacturers. With that knowledge, I'd never, EVER buy a gun that monkey bob (myself included) modified. A 1911 is EASY EASY EASY to F it up.

RUN.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#17]
there were something wrong with ed browns gun then ed should fix it.http://tiny.cc/blfx2w
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
An original crown is not flush with an EGW bushing. No amount of fitting will make it so. Some brown parts are cast but their quality is good. Fire control would not need replacing at all. Guy is a jackass. Do not trust.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#19]
This sounds like the kind of guy who "polishes" his feed ramps with a 80 grit Dremel sanding drum.

You don't need this headache.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I would skip it.  Once he replaced parts it was no longer worth high end ed brown money, it became his parts gun.        

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Interested to see how the pics turned out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top