Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2013 6:37:55 AM EDT
....any feed back or observations would be appreciated.
I'm thinking a light weight comander size will be next, I'm curious about Sig's Nitron carry as well.
Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The LW Champ Operators are solid shooters!
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The LW Champion Operator is awesome.
Mine shot 100% out of the gate (until I rotated in some non-wilson magazines)
It had an out of spec slide stop that was dragging the slide ever so slightly. It was enough tension/drag to cause some magazines not to lock back on last round (The ones with the duck lip folded metal follower like some Chip McCormick models).
If you put the empty magazine in the gun and pull the slide back, you could see the slide stop holding down the follower.
Most magazines worked fine, but a couple I had did not.

I replaced the slide stop with a 10-8 one and no more issues. I also filed the slide track on the stop a touch wider and the factory stop functioned fine after that.

I also have a Side Nightmare Carry. It too had an out of spec slide stop that prevented some magazines from locking back. The lobe that gets pushed up by the follower was too short and would cause the follower to jump past and not lock the slide open on last round. It really only happened on "hot" rounds (Ranger-T) but it was consistent. When it happened, if you pulled the slide back, you could see the follower was pushed over to the right. Again, didn't happen with Wilson magazines, just a few others that I had.

Again, I replaced the slide stop with a 10-8.

Other than that, it too has worked great. I really like the round butt of the Sig and it handles great. Both guns are nicely accurate.

If I had to keep just one, it's be the LW Operator though. It's a great shooting gun, I like the aluminum frame and rail.

If I were to change the LW Operator to make it better, I'd have the front strap checkered and the grip bob tailed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
My favorite handgun that I own is my Champion Operator. I have had some upgrades done and it is now at a gunsmiths for a few more. I have looked at other 1911's and the Dan Wesson Guardian was one that I thought I would replace my Springfield with. Shot them side by side and shot my Springer better. One thing I liked about the DW was how clean the slide was. So I am having the roll marks removed and a few other features and upgrades. By the time its done it will still be less than the cost of the DW and it will be just how I want it. If you can find one buy it you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply's...the checkering and bobtail do get my attention but that's another $400 -$500 into the SA vs already done on the Sig c nightmare ( some of the problems posted here and elsewhere would indicate maybe Sig has a couple qc issues on 1911s ) maybe some is bs and in reality theres just a very small percentage of 1911's sold buy Sig have any issues...but if it's your new gun. no matter how small the percentage is, you're gonna be pissed, two or three trips back to Sig = smokin pissed
While the Sig has some desirable features out of the box, I'm thinking I lean towards the LW  Champion Operator for the light weight and if it's likely the better shooter by most accounts....the decision won't  be that difficult
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply's...the checkering and bobtail do get my attention but that's another $400 -$500 into the SA vs already done on the Sig c nightmare ( some of the problems posted here and elsewhere would indicate maybe Sig has a couple qc issues on 1911s ) maybe some is bs and in reality theres just a very small percentage of 1911's sold buy Sig have any issues...but if it's your new gun. no matter how small the percentage is, you're gonna be pissed, two or three trips back to Sig = smokin pissed
While the Sig has some desirable features out of the box, I'm thinking I lean towards the LW  Champion Operator for the light weight and if it's likely the better shooter by most accounts....the decision won't  be that difficult
View Quote

I own the LWCO and it is actually my EDC. I bought it from a guy off here and he put some grip tape on it and a magwell as well as some VZ grips. The gun is a great shooter and trust it completely. I also own a SIG 1911 that was our deployment gun and shot it last weekend. Decent enough gun and sturdy but I personally preferred the LWCO.

I carry it in a COMP-TAC with either a ranger Ares belt and a crossbreed gun belt FYI.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
You know you don't have to send it back to Springfield for some of the things you want done. My first upgrades were the front strap checkering and replacing the mainspring housing with S&A mainspring with thin magwell. Added VZ thin grips. The labor from my local gunsmith was under $200.00 and it looked perfect. You would also save on shipping and would have it back quicker. I would only do this if you had someone that you trust to do the work. Good luck
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I currently have mine out at SACS for some considerable work. Maintain all warranty while SA has a lifetime warranty that has been tested by owners, it seems Sig could care less from a few CS reports I have heard of.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had a LWCO for a couple years now, it is my favorite and carry gun. Sweet shooter, in love with the looks, dead nuts perfect reliability.  The only issue I've had was a loosening of the guide rod from the plate. A drop of Loctite and its been flawless.  I agree some front strap checkering would be good.

I'm considering some vz grips, might do the grip tape thing for now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My LWCO operator has been my go to gun for a couple of years now. It is my carry gun and nightstand gun.
Link Posted: 8/28/2013 4:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Sig 1911 stainless carry.  Love the gun and would never replace it!  Had the exact same issue when new with the slide stop and made the same change.  10-8 slide stop, it is a 100% shooter with anything from ball to JHP with any magazine I use.

Quoted:
The LW Champion Operator is awesome.
Mine shot 100% out of the gate (until I rotated in some non-wilson magazines)
It had an out of spec slide stop that was dragging the slide ever so slightly. It was enough tension/drag to cause some magazines not to lock back on last round (The ones with the duck lip folded metal follower like some Chip McCormick models).
If you put the empty magazine in the gun and pull the slide back, you could see the slide stop holding down the follower.
Most magazines worked fine, but a couple I had did not.

I replaced the slide stop with a 10-8 one and no more issues. I also filed the slide track on the stop a touch wider and the factory stop functioned fine after that.

I also have a Side Nightmare Carry. It too had an out of spec slide stop that prevented some magazines from locking back. The lobe that gets pushed up by the follower was too short and would cause the follower to jump past and not lock the slide open on last round. It really only happened on "hot" rounds (Ranger-T) but it was consistent. When it happened, if you pulled the slide back, you could see the follower was pushed over to the right. Again, didn't happen with Wilson magazines, just a few others that I had.

Again, I replaced the slide stop with a 10-8.

Other than that, it too has worked great. I really like the round butt of the Sig and it handles great. Both guns are nicely accurate.

If I had to keep just one, it's be the LW Operator though. It's a great shooting gun, I like the aluminum frame and rail.

If I were to change the LW Operator to make it better, I'd have the front strap checkered and the grip bob tailed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one I just bought used.
I love this thing! I had to buy new wilson combat mags though.
The ones that came with it suck!!! they wont pop out at all!
They wilson's do but all mags I try catch on something halfway up and then you have to smack it in the rest of the way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have one I just bought used.
I love this thing! I had to buy new wilson combat mags though.
The ones that came with it suck!!! they wont pop out at all!
They wilson's do but all mags I try catch on something halfway up and then you have to smack it in the rest of the way.
View Quote

If the gun and mags are new, this is very common...Break in the firearm.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry don't want to steal the thread:
I am having all sorts of issues with mags new and old.
Now I have that and a whole new problem!
The Wilson combat mags I bought #47 legendary mags, when the slide locks back it takes both thumbs to get the slide release down?
They pop out nicely. just get hung up a little and now the slide is really hard to close now!
I don't think I will ever buy a used 1911 again! The guy said it only had 14 rounds through it. That should have been my first hint of a faulty gun.
Or are 1911 just really finicky? I love the gun! I shot it once and it shoots like a dream!
I might have to take it in to a gunsmith I guess?
The guy I bought it from said he shot great and he uses the 8 round wilson mags.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#14]
The Guy I bought it from said it was three years old and on 14 rounds through it. It was a safe queen for sure. Super clean!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry don't want to steal the thread:
I am having all sorts of issues with mags new and old.
Now I have that and a whole new problem!
The Wilson combat mags I bought #47 legendary mags, when the slide locks back it takes both thumbs to get the slide release down?
They pop out nicely. just get hung up a little and now the slide is really hard to close now!
I don't think I will ever buy a used 1911 again! The guy said it only had 14 rounds through it. That should have been my first hint of a faulty gun.
Or are 1911 just really finicky? I love the gun! I shot it once and it shoots like a dream!
I might have to take it in to a gunsmith I guess?
The guy I bought it from said he shot great and he uses the 8 round wilson mags.
View Quote

That's not uncommon.  The spring in the empty magazine is pushing the slide stop up.  It must be a strong spring, which is usually a good thing.  It will probably get easier when you break it in.  Take the magazine out first, then release the slide.  BTW, I think it's been determined that slamming the slide shut on an empty chamber is not good for the gun.  Only use the slide release when you have a magazine with rounds in it in the gun.
And 1911 magazines have lots of places they can get a little hung up when inserting them.  With mine, I find that the magazine gets hung up on the trigger groove about half way in, and then after that, it gets harder to insert when the magazine compresses the magazine release spring.  So with 1911's you have to be moderately forceful when inserting a magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top