Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2013 8:00:53 AM EDT
I am looking to build a 1911 with a Commander slide and Officers frame.  The catch is that I want to build it in .40S&W

Has anyone else built one similar?  Where did you get your parts?

I have been browsing Brownell's (I hate their new web format btw) and can't find a 1911 bbl in .40 with a 4.25" length.

I am going to get the frame and slide from Caspian, is the breech cut different or can they make it work in .40?

Any magazines available in Officer's .40, such as Wilson?

Any suggestions will be helpful.  If all else fails, I will build it in .45 ACP
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 2:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Chip McCormick doesn't make any mags in .40 so I guess I need to look around a bit more.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Wilson Combat does: Link
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Full size, which would work, but I would like a shorter one for the Officer frame.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
just a warning, once you finish building one, you will have 3 more builds in the works. it is a disease.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full size, which would work, but I would like a shorter one for the Officer frame.

Yeah, sorry. Was in a hurry. Try here

Edit: and as for barrels: Linky
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, sorry. Was in a hurry. Try here

Edit: and as for barrels: Linky

You Sir, are a God-send  I was ready to call it quits and build it in 45ACP.  You have renewed my hope in mankind.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
just a warning, once you finish building one, you will have 3 more builds in the works. it is a disease.

This will be my second full build
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip

You Sir, are a God-send  I was ready to call it quits and build it in 45ACP.  You have renewed my hope in mankind.

Thanks. I've been kicking ideas around for a build. Good luck with yours.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This will be my second full build

good to hear, i am on number 3, and i am kicking around ideas for number 4. possibly a government slide on an officer's frame.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I am doing a similar build to yours, only in 45 ACP. When I ordered my frame & slide from Caspian, I was quoted 8 weeks, but received a call after about 5 or 6 weeks saying it was ready.

BTW, are you going to fit all the parts? Or are you going to let a reputable shop do the work?

I don't have the know-how do do all the fit & finish stuff, so I am going to let a local shop who specializes in 1911's do the work. I may pay a bit more, but at least I will know it's right. I will still give them input as to what I'd like, and supply them with some simple parts (Sights, Grips, M.S.H., Mags), but the bulk of the stuff I am going to leave to them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am doing a similar build to yours, only in 45 ACP. When I ordered my frame & slide from Caspian, I was quoted 8 weeks, but received a call after about 5 or 6 weeks saying it was ready.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/blindfaith429/20130408_134103_zps9da5e082.jpg

BTW, are you going to fit all the parts? Or are you going to let a reputable shop do the work?

I don't have the know-how do do all the fit & finish stuff, so I am going to let a local shop who specializes in 1911's do the work. I may pay a bit more, but at least I will know it's right. I will still give them input as to what I'd like, and supply them with some simple parts (Sights, Grips, M.S.H., Mags), but the bulk of the stuff I am going to leave to them.

I will fit my own parts.  I did that on my first build, every part was hand fit to blend in and function properly.  I cheated by getting an Ed Brown pre-fit barrel, which needed some fitting in the hood, bushing and upper lugs but worked like a charm.  I also do my own checkering.  It takes quite a bit of time but I enjoyed building it.  After I was done I swore I wasn't going to build another

BTW, what slide cut did you order to match the dust cover to the front of the slide?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l478/blindfaith429/20130408_134103_zps9da5e082.jpg

I will fit my own parts.  I did that on my first build, every part was hand fit to blend in and function properly.  I cheated by getting an Ed Brown pre-fit barrel, which needed some fitting in the hood, bushing and upper lugs but worked like a charm.  I also do my own checkering.  It takes quite a bit of time but I enjoyed building it.  After I was done I swore I wasn't going to build another

BTW, what slide cut did you order to match the dust cover to the front of the slide?

I didn't order anything special as far as the front cut, except that I specified the ball-cut instead of the traditional cut. I am not 100% sure if it will line up perfectly once it is built, as that pic is only the frame & slide as I ordered it. Once I get a barrel in there and fit it, it may be a little off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.storm-lake.com/
I checked... they can make you a 4.25" non-ramped barrel in .40

I used Storm lake to customize a Para Ordnance P12.

Got an Essex commander slide and mated it to the P12's frame.  Had Storm Lake make me a 4.25" para ramped barrel.  It was supposed to be "drop in", but as you probably know... many drop in parts, aren't.  But that doesn't sound like it would be any issues for you.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:57:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I am in the middle of a CCO build myself. 9X23

Caspian steel slide, they took 10 weeks for mine, but is a beautiful no markings or cuts.  I will cut some slots on the rear slide for grip.  Serrated flattop.  I am using a Wilson narrow notch adjustable with no dovetail.

I have a Fusion Officers' steel frame wit no mods.  I will machine out my own magwell and tig weld it on.

I have a Schuemann barrel.  They are the best, like gems.

Nothing fancy just clean almost plain.  I was tired of Novak sights and I hate markings.  Stainless is a pain in the ass and carbon steel can be fitted smoother and tighter.  Standard bushing since I am sick of bull barrels and guide rods.  No ambi controls.

Hard chrome or a deep Colt style Royal Blue.  Nice wood half checkered grips, Adherns probably.

9X23 because of the power and I reload.  Wonderful cartridge design that should be popular.

Now if I can find the time to put it together.  Hope that gives you some ideas.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:10:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am in the middle of a CCO build myself. 9X23
-snip-

Sounds like a great build, can't wait to see pics.

As for mine, I'm going with stainless slide and frame (fit by Caspian).  It's a bit heavier but I want to use the pistol for conceiled carry and I have a bad habit of rusting guns.  I want to stay away from coatings and love a nice satin SS finish.  Nothing fancy on mine, going with a set of Heinie frt/rear tritium sights, no bull bbl or flgr either.

I think I have my mind made up on just building it in 45acp.  40 would be cool but I love the 45acp.  This just means i will probably buy something else in 40 down the road

If I build another 1911, it will be carbon steel with a deep blued slide and frame.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I use Wilson .45 mags for one of my .40s, and they work fine.  I think STI may sell short .40 mags too.  You are probably going to have to go with a ramped bull barrel from someone like Schuemann if you stick with .40.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top