Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2012 2:44:41 PM EDT
I have shot thousands of rounds through this gun, probably around 5K.  It was used when I bought it and was owned by someone that probably put several thousand rounds through it as well.

Initially, ten years ago when I first got it, it ran like a machine.   Over the last 1000 or so rounds it will have trouble putting a round into the chamber properly and it will not fire unless I push the slide forward with my thumb.  This doesn't happen all the time and it can happen if I'm taking my time shooting slowly or burning a mag in 2 seconds.  It's not too annoying for fun at the range, but it needs to work properly because I do carry it.  I've gotten by with the thinking it will go boom the first time and that's the most important, and any gun is better than no gun, even if you have to push the slide forward, but I'd feel better about it working correctly.

At any rate, I'm sure the springs need replacing.  It wouldn't be  a big deal to replace them, but there are so many options out there.  I figure there would just be one choice for each spring...  Any input on what to put in the gun?

It is a 3.5 inch barrel gun with a 6 round magazine.  I reload with 185 grain semi wadcutter cast bullets or 185 grain Hornady XTP hollow points.  I reload a thousand at a time (sometimes more) and the exact powder and charge escape me at the moment because it has been so long since I've reloaded any.

The factory recoil spring is either 22 or 24 pounds.  I'm not sure what it has right now, but I know it doesn't like shooting 230 grain anything.  It will shoot them with no more hiccups than the 185 grain rounds, but it feels sluggish.  I can get a 4 pack of recoil springs at 18.5, 20, 22 and 24 pounds and just play around with it, but the difficulty comes in getting a new spring for the mag.

It works with Colt Officers Model magazines and that's all I have for it.  Rather than trying to find a new magazine these days, I figure I'll just put a new spring in the mags, but I can't find anything anywhere on what the spring is supposed to be in the mag, and I can find 6, 7, 8, 9.5, 10 and 11 pound mag springs available.

Why so many options for the mag spring and what would be best to use in my gun for the load I shoot?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If you call Springfield they will send you a new recoil spring for it.Had to replace the one I gave my dad a few years back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top