Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2012 5:32:59 PM EDT

hey guys. technically this is my 2nd 1911, first being a kimber pro carry II, that i hated. sold it a few years ago. this springfield was bought thanks in part to aguila (centurion ordnance). long story here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/129809_UPDATE___NEW_PICS_glock_21c_goes_BOOM_.html

this is a all stainless 1911a1 standard. but from what i could tell i don't think its a standard.. but anyways, you guys know way more than i do so please feel free to school me at any point. brand new, hasn't been shot yet. im still learning the basics of the 1911 world. i work with some guys that shoot competition and of course their favorite is the 1911 or 2011. i don't want to go all out and make this a competition shooter. but the little/small/cheap things i can do to improve accuracy and reliability is what i want. and it looks like there is a TON of options out there! by no means am i cheap, i don't care to spend money for quality products. so for example if the wilson bushing is truly a better product out there compared to everyone else then i will drop the coin on it. brand names don't mean anything to me. over time i've learned its not necessarily price or name that makes the product, its the quality/quality control.

i wasn't originally wanting the stainless version, not a fan of the look and that was pretty much the only one available at the shop. unless i wanted a kimber and fork out more money. so this was the one. my buddy/co-worker/competition shooter worked this over well at the counter. the salesman i think was wondering what the hell we were doing. i guess most guys just take one look and say yep, i like it!

obviously being a new pistol, to me, it feels stiff, kinda rough def needs broke in. some guys recommended i take something like simichrome and polish here and there. makes sense i guess. some have said just take it to the range and fire plenty of rounds through it break it in. dirtier the better. and then there is the option to send it off to be worked over. and it seems there is an endless list of 1911 smiths with long waits and high price tags. i found one in jacksonville FL (wesguns.com). don't know anything about them as far as their rep or work but their prices seem fair and they seem to offer what im looking for.

no moving along to some things i think i want to get done, but not in any particular order:

1. finish - either cerakote (which i love the burnt bronze) or wesguns.com offers a matte "frosting" finish to stainless 1911's. looks nice but i don't know

2. changing/adding/or buying parts to improve accuracy such as changing barrel bushing, changing guide rod and/or spring, etc..

3. sights? my competition friend has a blank adjustable rear sight with fiber front sight. loved it at the range! suggestions?

4. grips? probably VZ operator II and get front grip checkered ANYONE RECOMMEND SOMEONE FOR THIS?

5. reliability and overall performance work/mods. trigger work, polish/fit this and that, extractor upgrade etc.. suggestions?

6. IWB holster. i've tried mitch rosen and like them. BIG $$$ but they seem very nice and comfortable.

i don't wanna be one of those tools that just get a new gun and start dumping crazy money in it so they can say, "hey man look at me". im not that way and never have been. i am a true gun lover and work as a armed professional. i want to keep in mind K.I.S.S. on every aspect. this will not be a duty weapon. maybe/probably a carry weapon and range gun. any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed. thanks guys!

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't change anything, yet. Spend some time shooting and getting to know your 1911. Put a couple thousand rounds through it and then decide what would make the gun better for you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wouldn't change anything, yet. Spend some time shooting and getting to know your 1911. Put a couple thousand rounds through it and then decide what would make the gun better for you.

FreeJersey is 100% correct.  Shoot the crap out of it before you start changing things.  Who knows you just might be happy with it the way it is.

That looks like a Loaded model. Does it have an ambi safety and night sights?

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The Springfield custom shop has a good rep if you decide to checker the front strap.  Otherwise, shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FreeJersey is 100% correct.  Shoot the crap out of it before you start changing things.  Who knows you just might be happy with it the way it is.
That looks like a Loaded model. Does it have an ambi safety and night sights?

ambi-safety - yes. night sites - no, novak sights i believe. the guys at the shop said its a standard. it says "STD" on the side of the box, which i assume is standard. but i thinks its a loaded. standard + loaded = same thing?

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The Springfield custom shop has a good rep if you decide to checker the front strap.  Otherwise, shoot it.

so it looks like they charge $150-170 plus shipping and refinishing fees for machine checkering. hand checkering is more. wow! im tempted to buy some skate board take and use that! LOL.

this guy almost makes it tempting enough to try it myself. almost makes it look easy..

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the input guys!
granted i will be shooting this pistol a lot. and i know it needs to be broken in. maybe if you guys have experience with the stuff i have listed above, please give input for that. thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Vz grips are  great.  I have the G-10  tan  operator 2  on my ccw  nighthawk grp .  They are  grippy but not too overly aggressive.  I also have the tactical diamonds  on  my other grp, and the simonich gunner  on my colt, which are very aggressive.  Good grips help and are worth it.  Just shoot the hell out of it and enjoy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top