Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 1:49:38 PM EDT
Ordered one up because I was no longer shooting hot .45 loads thru my 1911.  The old spring was a 18.5#.  It took me forever to get the new spring in it was a full inch longer than the 18.5# spring.  I ended up tweaking it a little and ended up just leaving the 18#.  

Anyone else have trouble ? Bit seemed super long?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
New springs are always longer. Never a problem installing them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you don't have spring bind.   Take out the recoil spring (leave in the spring guide rod) and put the slide all the way back.  Make a Sharpie witness mark on both the frame and slide.   Reinstall the recoil spring, plug, etc. and pull the slide all the way back again.  The marks should line up... if they don't you will need to lose a coil or two off the spring until they do line up.

If the slide is being stopped by the recoil spring, you will probably break the bushing sooner or later.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Never had to shorten one because it was too long, shortened quite a few tailoring to the reduced charge load I was shooting for lack of having correct weight spring. Seeings how it's a 14# spring I would have cycled the new spring first with reduced velocity cartridges. Everytime I've changed out an old spring for new one, new spring has been longer because older spring has started to collapse. I live in 675 fps range shooting .45acp and play all the way down to 400 fps. To make a long story short, I'm handloading .45acp from 400 fps to 1,000 fps and know every spring combination required to play the spread.

Just cutting on a spring because it looks too long don't sound right. Another thing I don't see in OP that raises my flag is no mention of velocity. Blindly changing springs ain't too good an idea, but it's only gun metal and you know my take on gun metal. Tear up all you want, they'll make more.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been using Wolff  #14lb springs in my .40 STI's for a long time.  Never a problem.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure I would replace the spring to lighter. Std #16 functions the lightest loads that my friend works up for his. They are light, I barely feel them.

Never in my life have I had to cut a spring to get it to fit though. Almost makes a guy wonder if it was the right one and not mispackaged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top