Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 4:21:19 PM EDT
Looking to possibly sell my 1911 to get an M&P9c for carry. I can carry the 1911 fine, but the size and weight are kinda annoying me. Some days I am sitting all day, but other days I am up and about, and that's when it gets to be annoying. Some days I have to bend or crouch allot, and appendix-carrying a 5" 1911 doesn't work well.

As of right now, it's not official if I will sell my 1911, but obviously for the right price I will.

Some of you have seen it on here before, but for those of you who haven't, here's the run-down.

Springfield Armory Range Officer, NM serial number
- Tool-Steel Internals (professionally installed, with receipt, and original parts)
- STI Trigger (professionally installed, with receipt, and original parts)
- New Hammer (professionally installed, with receipt, and original parts)
- VZ Slim grips & bushings (professionally installed, with receipt, and original parts)
- S&A Magwell, blended to frame
- Hand-checkered front-strap
- Dawson Precision tritium front sight
- Harrison Custom fixed rear sight, single tritium lamp, straight-8 style
- Frame & lower components bead-blasted & blued, slide is still parkerized
- Fusion thick-flanged barrel bushing
- Fusion smooth recoil spring cap
- New springs throughout
- Ed Brown too-steel firing pin

I to go with it, I have all the original stuff from the factory, (box, manual, 2-mags & plastic holsters), 3 Tripp Cobra II 8-round mags, and a Versa-Max II. Also, all parts that were replaced, I kept the factory stuff, so all that would come with it.

There is a little holster wear on the slide, but nothing major, and the holster has a couple of slight marks from normal use, but is still 100% fully functional. The gun shoots great with no issues.

I do love the 1911 platform, and I still have my Delta Elite to shoot when I want to shoot a 1911. Right now, I cant afford to buy the M&P9c without selling something. Since this gun was build specifically for carry, I thought it made sense to sell this to fund the M&P9c. Plus the fact that selling this should yield enough money to buy the gun, holster, and a couple mags. I already have a 9mm gun, so ammo is no concern as of right now.

Here's a pic of the gun before I started to carry it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Who did the work? JoJo's?

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Who did the work? JoJo's?

Yes, it was Jojo's They did the sights, checkering, internals, hammer, trigger, and the re-bluing. The barrel bushing only required a tiny bit of filing on the lug, which I did. I left it a tough thick so it is a night snug fit. The I.D. of the bushing didn't need any work to fit, but is a nice fit to the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I will hazard a guess and say not much more than the going rate of a NIB RO.
Sell the holster and the Tripp mags separately.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the guys at jo-jo's and mostly like their work but....

You pretty much never get much of a percentage of money invested in custom gun work.

Sort of like dumping a ton of money into a car. Everyone has their own idea of what exact combination of "stuff" should be done for the perfect
package and anything else is just wasted and will cut down on the number of folks who might consider buying.

To sell off this gun you are going to take a hit in the wallet that will make you cry. Like the value of the used base gun (at wholesale,not retail)

plus 20 or 30% of what you invested in it for parts and work.

It could be a long wait to even see that much.

Keep your gun and start saveing for the M&P
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You pretty much never get much of a percentage of money invested in custom gun work.

Sort of like dumping a ton of money into a car. Everyone has their own idea of what exact combination of "stuff" should be done for the perfect
package and anything else is just wasted and will cut down on the number of folks who might consider buying.

To sell off this gun you are going to take a hit in the wallet that will make you cry. Like the value of the used base gun (at wholesale,not retail)

So in your opinion, I should be lucky to get $800 for the package?

I understand I am not going to get full price, I but I find it hard to believe that I would that that big of a hit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
if you have the documentation showing where the work was done and its a reputable smith also pictures of the current gun not one of it before it was carried. Im sure you will get more than the original price but it may take a little longer to sell. I dont think you will get what you have invested in it but Im sure if your willing to provide good pics and the other documentation you wont be too disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So in your opinion, I should be lucky to get $800 for the package?

I understand I am not going to get full price, I but I find it hard to believe that I would that that big of a hit.

$800 is where I would start.  But I think you could get more than that locally.  

Call up Jody and see if they want to buy it / trade it.  I seem to remember a lot of their customer's custom guns in their case when they want to move onto other things.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#8]
That's a nice 1911.
Keep it and start carrying it religiously. Tha added ammo weight of a double stack polymer gun is approaching the weight of a 1911 anyway.

A 1911 is one of the easiest/most comfortable guns to carry concealed.
I don't want to sound like a dick, but are you new to CCW. Do you carry every day, all the time. No matter which gun you carry it'll take getting used to carrying concealed.

a-bare
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's a nice 1911.
Keep it and start carrying it religiously. Tha added ammo weight of a double stack polymer gun is approaching the weight of a 1911 anyway.

I don't want to sound like a dick, but are you new to CCW. Do you carry every day, all the time. No matter which gun you carry it'll take getting used to carrying concealed.

a-bare

Been carrying this specific gun, in this configuration since about June I think. When I first started carrying, I only carried a couple days a week. Right now I carry anytime I leave the house, with the exception of when I see my GF at her college campus. Cuddling and appendix carry don't really mix well LOL, plus I'm not suppose to carry on campus.

I will admit, the 1911 is comfortable when I am standing /  walking, but when I'm crouching, bending, or sitting or long periods, the 5" slide digs into my leg. I have carried smaller guns, and this problem goes away. Plus, with the long grip, I have to be more careful of printing then when I carried a smaller gun. The M&P9c solves both of the issues, along with adding capacity.

Weight, from what I can find, of a loaded M&P9c looks to be about 31 ounces. That's 1 pound, 15 ounces. My current 1911, empty, is right around 2 1/2 pounds.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's a nice 1911.

a-bare

This is a good point man.  That's a nice gun, and you should keep it of you can.  I'm not the type to ever say "never sell a gun".  But with the work you got into this one, I'd personally exhaust all other alternatives even though a good CCW is priority #1 in gun ownership.

M&P's are very inexpensive.   Save up, or trade a different gun in.  Dont you have a CZ and a delta also?  ( don't trade the delta either.  That thing is mint)

Best,
Dan
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a nice 1911.

a-bare

Been carrying this specific gun, in this configuration since about June I think. When I first started carrying, I only carried a couple days a week. Right now I carry anytime I leave the house, with the exception of when I see my GF at her college campus. Cuddling and appendix carry don't really mix well LOL, plus I'm not suppose to carry on campus.

I will admit, the 1911 is comfortable when I am standing /  walking, but when I'm crouching, bending, or sitting or long periods, the 5" slide digs into my leg. I have carried smaller guns, and this problem goes away. Plus, with the long grip, I have to be more careful of printing then when I carried a smaller gun. The M&P9c solves both of the issues, along with adding capacity.

Weight, from what I can find, of a loaded M&P9c looks to be about 31 ounces. That's 1 pound, 15 ounces. My current 1911, empty, is right around 2 1/2 pounds.

Sorry to hijack, but why do you  appendix carry. That VM2 is not made for it.

Have you tried 3:30-4:30 IWB?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a nice 1911.

a-bare

This is a good point man.  That's a nice gun, and you should keep it of you can.  I'm not the type to ever say "never sell a gun".  But with the work you got into this one, I'd personally exhaust all other alternatives even though a good CCW is priority #1 in gun ownership.

M&P's are very inexpensive.   Save up, or trade a different gun in.  Dont you have a CZ and a delta also?  ( don't trade the delta either.  That thing is mint)

Best,
Dan

As of right now, I have the SP-01 in 9mm, the Delta Elite, a 357 revolver, and a Ruger SR22. The revolver is only worth about 4 bills private sale I'd say, and the CZ I paid 500 OTD from a store, used.

I have thought about buying a nicer holster for the SP-01 and carrying that. It is lighter when fully loaded with 19-rounds of 9mm, and isn't too much thicker than the 1911. it is about 1/4 inch shorter on the barrel, and another 1/4 to 3/8 inch shorter on the grip with flush-bottom mags (15 rounds, extended mags are 18), so it is a smaller, lighter package. I could buy a nice holster for that and try carrying that for a while too. Have kicked that idea around. It has factory night sights, and the gun feels amazing in my hand.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a nice 1911.

a-bare

Sorry to hijack, but why do you  appendix carry. That VM2 is not made for it.

Have you tried 3:30-4:30 IWB?

No worries on the hi-jack. I have tried everywhere from 1'ocklock (appendix) to 6 o'clock with this 1911. I personally don't like the gun behind me, just because i cannot easily see if it's showing, and it feels awkward for me to draw. If I practiced enough, I'm sure it would feel better, but for me, appendix is the most comfortable with the exception of getting jabbed in the leg when sitting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#13]
3 or just aft of 3 works best for me with 5" firearms. Also this set up is close to where my comp guns carry so the draw is almost the same.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 10:29:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
3 or just aft of 3 works best for me with 5" firearms. Also this set up is close to where my comp guns carry so the draw is almost the same.

I am skinny & bony, so at 3 o'clock, it rests right on my hip bone and juts out, making it super obvious. Just behind the hip (about 4 o'clock) works okay, but the grip prints pretty badly.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am skinny & bony, so at 3 o'clock, it rests right on my hip bone and juts out, making it super obvious. Just behind the hip (about 4 o'clock) works okay, but the grip prints pretty badly.

I don't see how changing brand of pistol will really change that, unless you go down to single stack .380s. Changing how you dress may work, and definitely try a different holster, like the DeSantis Scorpion.

Since that is fully kydex, dipping the "wings" and "toe" in hot water will allow you to change and reshape how it wraps and then tucks the grip into your body. (Remove the belt clips before immersion. They don't need to be re-bent).

I'm hardly portly at 166 lbs and 5' 7", and I carry this at 3:30-ish, so the top of the slide is sitting just behind the point of the right hip. It worked for me.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd say a $1000.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 5:01:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Good news guys, I have decided to pursue the CZ route. I found a company called TT Gun Leather that will make me a holster for the SP-01 that is close in style to the Versa Max II. I am also talking to them about possibly making the cant a little different to make it more appendix-carry friendly.

I am happy to say that this 1911 will be kept in the stable for now. Thank you all for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top