Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2012 12:53:27 AM EDT
I bought a brand new RIA CS 1911 45 acp.
I went to the range and put 300+ rounds though it. Only Brass cased ammo, no cheap steel cased.
Mags 4 Check mates, 2 Chip Mc and 1 ACT mag.

I read this article
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/56318-1911-chip-mccormick-8rnd-mag-story.html

Basically theres alot people saying these Gi mag and CMC feed ramps cuase these issues.

My other 1911s are Springfield Operators so they have there feed ramps as part barrel no the frame, and I only use them for work so I only Use Wilson 10 or 8 round mags and these dont have medal followers.

I'm 99% sure it cant be the ACT mag because of the way the Medal follow is made those no point that could scratch my feed ramp. So its Either Check Mate or Chip. It couldn't be Brass casing could it?

Please tell me this is fixable or didnt just break my new range gun.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
It is not the brass since it is softer than the steel.  The big issue with the devel type follower is with the alloy framed guns.  The GI follower has been in use with the steel frame Colts since the beginning and has not been a problem.  Pull forward on the CMC mag and see how far the follower moves toward the front of the magazine.  That is probably what is making the marks.  Did your pistol start malfunctioning after the marks were made?  I would take the CMC mags out of the rotation and see if you get anymore marks.  If they are not deep gouges, the marks will probably not be an issue.  Whatever you do, don't take out the dremel tool and start grinding on the feedramp.  David
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:25:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Scratches that far down on the ramp should not affect function it is a sub 500 dollar 1911 don't worry just shoot. I'd bet it is one of the mags- figure out which one( s) and don't use them
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Any mag without a captive follower will make those marks on or near the feed ramp. Not really a problem with a steel frame 1911, but will definitley damage an aluminum frame 1911.

Here's a good LINK for info. 3/4 down the page.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Just going to get raid of all Chips, what I get for not only using Wilson.
Quoted:
Scratches that far down on the ramp should not affect function it is a sub 500 dollar 1911 don't worry just shoot. I'd bet it is one of the mags- figure out which one( s) and don't use them

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

chips are excellent mags. its not the mags, its the gun
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

chips are excellent mags. its not the mags, its the gun

If the mags do not have a captive follower  it is the mags and not the gun.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Might be a cheap 1911 compare to my other ones, but I still dont want it junked up. I paid 70 bucks more then I did for any new Glock. Its the Chip mags, I put one in and points were against the feed ramp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top