Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 8:47:18 AM EDT
I'm really debating whether our not I want to assemble a 1911 from parts.  I know that fusion makes frames, slides, and pretty much everything one would need, and I've heard their quality is great (please comment on that).  I would Judy but a Colt, but they are getting harder to find (at least around here).  Had anyone fine this and do you have pictures of such gun? Any comments are welcome...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#1]
How good of a machinist are you?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I was actually looking at their kits where the machining is done, just assembly would be required.  I'm more after the fun of the build and the quality of the parts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I can put an AR together virtually blind folded but would not tackle a 1911 build as much as I'd like to.  Been told too many times that there's no such thing as a kit where it all just goes together like it should.  All need some machining / fitting work that I will not tackle.  

Good luck OP but I'd advise against it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
You do not assemble a 1911. a 1911 is not plug and play like a AR-15. It is not hard but you need more mechanical aptitude than just screwing things together.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I can tell you I have mechanical skills, just not access to tools like a mill.  Is it fitting together that a 1911 would require or complex machining?  And thank you very much for your responses,  I was unaware it wasn't as simple an AR.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Apparently, I have been doing it wrong for years.  I always thought that you could assemble a decent 1911 type pistol with a minimum of hand tools.  

I still think that you can!

I don't believe my level of expertise is anything world shaking.  Still, I have gotten a couple of nice ones together.  I think that most people who are
Interested in such a project can probably accomplish it.  Whether it is worth it or not is some thing that can only be answered by the individual.

As for a milling machine, I might be able to identify one if it fell out of the sky, but my only experience with one was helping a friend move his.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well I can tell you I have mechanical skills, just not access to tools like a mill.  Is it fitting together that a 1911 would require or complex machining?  And thank you very much for your responses,  I was unaware it wasn't as simple an AR.

Depends on how deep you want to go. but in truth a few files, some punches, a small 4oz brass hammer, vise, and some stones are all that is needed.

Brownells has a great section in the benchtalk section on building a 1911, you do not need every tool they list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top