Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2011 7:06:10 AM EDT
RIA Double Stack 9mm 1911

I'm thinking of picking up a RIA hi-cap 9mm 1911.  I'd like to upgrade the safety to a beavertail and change the sights as well.  Further down the road, the trigger.  Would this be costly?  I appreciate your guys experience and opinions with this model 1911.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm really hesitating too... They seem so inexpensive compared to other brands that I am affraid they would be crappy...

So, to get or not to get ?
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm really hesitating too... They seem so inexpensive compared to other brands that I am affraid they would be crappy...

I've heard nothing but good things about the RIA single stack models, so that's good.  However, I would definitely want to upgrade this pistol (safety, sights, etc.) and wonder if that's easily done or can be done at all.  This would be the determining factor.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard nothing but good things about the RIA single stack models, so that's good.  However, I would definitely want to upgrade this pistol (safety, sights, etc.) and wonder if that's easily done or can be done at all.  This would be the determining factor.

Sure, it can be done.  It's no different than any other 1911 in that respect.   The only unique parts are the grips & screws, mag, mag catch, and trigger.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, it can be done.  It's no different than any other 1911 in that respect.   The only unique parts are the grips & screws, mag, mag catch, and trigger.

Thanks.  That's what I was hoping to hear.  Now I just need to find a good source for hi-cap 9mm mags that will work with this pistol.

Link Posted: 12/13/2011 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#5]
While mine isn't a high capacity it was the same deal and cost me $80 to replace all those things.  Actually $150 including new sights (not sure why but a previous owner filed the rear sight).  
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
While mine isn't a high capacity it was the same deal and cost me $80 to replace all those things.  Actually $150 including new sights (not sure why but a previous owner filed the rear sight).  

Cool.  I think I'll get it then.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2011 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  That's what I was hoping to hear.  Now I just need to find a good source for hi-cap 9mm mags that will work with this pistol.

Para Ordnance mags can be used.
Link Posted: 12/14/2011 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Para Ordnance mags can be used.

P-18 mags, eh?  That's good to know.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been looking into one of these as well but can not seem to find one at the local fun shops in order to handle it. Let us know whenever you get one and how well it is built and shoots.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I was also thinking about maybe trying one of these guns.  The problem is, I can't decide what benefit if any, it will provide over a Browning / FN  Hi Power?   The Hi power can be furnished with Great Mec-Gar flush fit 15 round magazines for an overall 16 round count in a slightly smaller frame gun. Or with the 17 round KRD mag which sticks down about 1/2 inch or less for an overall 18 round count gun.  So I'm right in the ball park with the double stack 9mm 1911 for capacity.  I suppose the 1911 could be tuned up to have a better trigger pull than the HP.  But at the expense of a heavier blockier gun. I love my .45 acp 1911's a lot!   I carry one daily.  I love my Hi-power a lot too!  It fits my hand and points even better than the 1911 does.  So I just can't decide if I want to drop the money on a 9mm 1911 or just put the money toward more ammo and magazines for the hi-power.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was also thinking about maybe trying one of these guns.  The problem is, I can't decide what benefit if any, it will provide over a Browning / FN  Hi Power?   The Hi power can be furnished with Great Mec-Gar flush fit 15 round magazines for an overall 16 round count in a slightly smaller frame gun. Or with the 17 round KRD mag which sticks down about 1/2 inch or less for an overall 18 round count gun.  So I'm right in the ball park with the double stack 9mm 1911 for capacity.  I suppose the 1911 could be tuned up to have a better trigger pull than the HP.  But at the expense of a heavier blockier gun. I love my .45 acp 1911's a lot!   I carry one daily.  I love my Hi-power a lot too!  It fits my hand and points even better than the 1911 does.  So I just can't decide if I want to drop the money on a 9mm 1911 or just put the money toward more ammo and magazines for the hi-power.

I just placed an order for this pistol this morning.  I'll be sure to post pics and a range report once I take it out.  I ordered a Para Ordnance 20 round P18 mag for it, as I was informed that they work.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 12/16/2011 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If the BHP works for you, stick with it.  

The Para-style 1911 will be heavier and potentially less reliable.   The HP is lighter and has a smaller grip circumference going for it.

The reasons I prefer the 1911 style over the BHP are mostly related to ergonomics.  The 1911 has a better trigger pull and less painful trigger shape, no hammer bite, a larger and more positive-feeling safety lever, mag design that allows faster reloads than the squarer BHP mags, no mag safety to work around, and a wider array of sight and accessory options.  

I'd rather carry a BHP but I'd rather shoot a 1911.

Link Posted: 12/16/2011 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#13]
iirc my 9mm mags hold 28.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I just ordered my 1911 9mm hi-cap pistol and I'm just waiting on it to arrive at my FFL. Now, the sights and safety grip are the first two items that I want to upgrade. I'm somewhat new to 1911 pistols. Can you guys recommend a decent beavertail safety grip and set of sights for my pistol? I'll have to take the pistol to a gunsmith to do the work.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#15]
hope your grips are in better shape than what is in the picture.

Sights and a grip safety more of a personal thing expect to pay to close to 1/2 if not more than what you bought the gun for to have these items purchased and installed.

I recommend  dove tail front and rears with a "novak" cut.  this will allow for the most aftermarket options.

Grip safety, I like ED Brown high rides 1/4 rad. EGW new grips safety looks great for a true custom fit. S&A is another common brand.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 10:41:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
hope your grips are in better shape than what is in the picture.

Sights and a grip safety more of a personal thing expect to pay to close to 1/2 if not more than what you bought the gun for to have these items purchased and installed.

I recommend  dove tail front and rears with a "novak" cut.  this will allow for the most aftermarket options.

Grip safety, I like ED Brown high rides 1/4 rad. EGW new grips safety looks great for a true custom fit. S&A is another common brand.

+1 on the grip safety advice.  For sights, I'd strongly suggest sending slide to Heinie or Novak for professional installation.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for your help guys.  I'm going to try the pistol out to see how I like it and then work on the upgrades from there.  I'll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Got it!    Pics to come shortly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I picked up my RIA 1911 in 9mm.  It came in a case, with one Mec-Gar 17 round mag.  I bought a second one and a Para Ordnance p18 mag.  The Mec-Gar mags are flush with the base of the mag well and the P18 mags slightly extends past the base, but looks nice.  I was really surprised by the quality and finish of the pistol.  It is really quite nice.  I just need to find some nice wood grip pannels to replace the polymer ones.

I took it out to the range and man was it fun.  It's really accurate too.  My brothers and I put 300 plus rounds through it and not a single failure of any kind!    I really dig this pistol.  For you guys who were debating it, I say go for it.  You can't beat the $399 price at Centerfire.  I took some video footage, which I'll post ASAP.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's the video...

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I have honestly never heard 1 bad thing about RIA, only good. I do not own one but that could change in the future.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#22]
hot damn looks like a nice lil piece ... and could be carried decently too!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks guys.  I was pleasantly surprised.  :)
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thanks guys.  I was pleasantly surprised.  :)

Hey–– I might be in the same boat- can you let me know how the upgrades to the safety/sights worked out for you?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#25]
C'mon tax return!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Gave RIA a call...

Beavertail Safety/Hammer is interchangeable with any standard 1911 part

Trigger/Grips/Mags are compatible with Para P18 parts

Sights––- whole other story... Apparently it's a standard GI cut for the rear, and front sight is staked in.

On another topic though, apparently they are coming out with a competition model of this hi-cap 1911 in March, priced at $720. Apparently comes with adjustable match sights, and FO front sights. Picatinny rail, etc.

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Can one of you with the RIA hi cap 1911 take a picture of the inside of the slide assembly, especially underneath where the front sight post is? I'd like to take a look on what he means when he said it's staked in.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can one of you with the RIA hi cap 1911 take a picture of the inside of the slide assembly, especially underneath where the front sight post is? I'd like to take a look on what he means when he said it's staked in.  

I'll try to remember to do it when I get home tonight.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:40:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Satandard USGI stake job.

slide can be cut for adjustables for about 150 or less.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I was thinking about one of these in .45.  Are the parts truly interchangeable with 1911 parts?  Some things I read have said other wise.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:15:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was thinking about one of these in .45.  Are the parts truly interchangeable with 1911 parts?  Some things I read have said other wise.

Except for the mag catch, trigger, and mags, they are a 1911.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except for the mag catch, trigger, and mags, they are a 1911.

+1
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#33]
This RIA 9mm hi-cap I bought uses Para Ordnance p18 grips.  Do you guys know where I can get some wood grips for this pistol?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This RIA 9mm hi-cap I bought uses Para Ordnance p18 grips.  Do you guys know where I can get some wood grips for this pistol?

try http://www.getgrip.com
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#35]
I just recently saw these.  I need to get me a RIA.  I just picked up a Kimber, I've owned several 1911's, and I love the bare bones G.I. versions.  These RIA seem to be GTG, I need a single stack and one of these hi-cap ones.  Is 9mm the only cal. Available?

OP, it looks awesome!  Congrats!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top