Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2011 4:26:12 AM EDT
I decided that I need a 1911. I want a Springfield GI Mil-Spec. But here is the problems, I can’t seem to find any online vendor that have any in stock! I been to some local stores, but most of their price are really high. Do anyone here know any place I can possibly find one? I been searching, but all of them are out stock.

I never operated a 1911 before.  Should I buy a cheap foreign model like Rock Island to trained with before getting the Springfield model?

Any advices would be helpful. Thank
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:38:08 AM EDT
[#1]
There are numerous NIB Mil-Specs currently listed on gunbroker.com. They all seem to be listed at MSRP ($600-$650).  That has to be weighed against the lack of a sales tax on thw goos side, or the presence of shipping and ffl fees on the bad.  Also, Mil-Specs can have cosmetic issues that an on-line listing wont identify.  You can't have it all.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know much about the Rock Island Armory 1911, but if you can find a NORINCO for under $450 I would go with that. Since you are not familiar with the platform you won't be out a lot of money if you don't like it. The Price on NORINCOs seem to be going up. The last one I saw in my area (1 year ago) advertised at $469.00.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The Rock Islands are about the best deal going in 1911s.  I've got one and have no complaints.  Going rate around here is high 300's.  Good customer service by all reports I've heard.  Dealers sell them by the boat load.  Since you have no experience in the platform it might be a good way to get your feet wet without dropping a lot of coin.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I decided that I need a 1911. I want a Springfield GI Mil-Spec. But here is the problems, I can’t seem to find any online vendor that have any in stock! I been to some local stores, but most of their price are really high. Do anyone here know any place I can possibly find one? I been searching, but all of them are out stock.

I never operated a 1911 before.  Should I buy a cheap foreign model like Rock Island to trained with before getting the Springfield model?

Any advices would be helpful. Thank

www.Budsgunshop.com has them in stock.

I have bought 3 guns from them, zero problems.

Some love the Rock Islands, I had one I bought new, never could get it to run right, sold it and boght a Colt that worked great bright out of the box.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Save your money and buy a Springer or Colt.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I was in the exact same place as you, I never had a 1911 and was going to buy a SA loaded for around $800.00.

I finally decided to buy the RIA TAC8 1911 from Buds and it is a great gun, no problems and it let me know i like the 1911 platform.

BTW, I still want the SA
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#6]

You should look into the American Classic series. They have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. If you do have problems, they have some of the best CS in the business. If you do some searching, you wont find anything bad being said about them.

I recently picked up a hard chrome American Classic Commander and have to say its a really nice gun. I purchased it online from a custom 1911 shop. They only got a few in because they heard they were very nice and wanted to see for themselves. The gunsmith there said its the nicest 1911 for the price he has ever seen (he thought they should be selling for more like $800).

Here is their website: http://www.americanclassic1911.com/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top