Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/21/2011 7:37:18 PM EDT
I picked up my first 1911 this week (springfield TRP operator full rail) and was wonder about some things I have heard. Iv heard not to dryfire them and not to let the slide forward without a mag in it. I'm really looking for things I shouldn't do so I don't damage my pistol.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Dry fire is fine.

I don't release slide without chambering something.

DON'T give your new shooter an Idiot Scratch!!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Carry it with the saftey on, hammer back, don't de-cock it on a live round.  It's a quick way to ND.

When drawing and firing, don't (IMHO) take the saftey off until you've brought the pistol up and close to target, people ND all the time by taking the saftey off before the pistol clears the holster.  1911's are VERY forgiving pistols when used "correctly" but if not, or you get complacent, will bite you in the ass faster than any other pistol.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!

whats an idiot scratch???
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn too slow, pic is worth a thousand late posts.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!

That curved scratch on the slide near the slide lock lever you see occasionaly from people jamming the slide lock/take down lever into the hole and gouging the finish when they reassmble the pistol.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dry fire is fine.

As far as I know you can release the slide all you want to without chambering something but do not drop a round in the chamber and let the slide slam on it, only chamber a round from a magazine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dry fire is fine.

As far as I know you can release the slide all you want to without chambering something but do not drop a round in the chamber and let the slide slam on it, only chamber a round from a magazine.

Nope.......you dont want to release the slide to slam home without chambering something. It will over time break away the primary and relief angles on the sears. Ride the slide home on an empty chamber to prevent sear bounce.

Link Posted: 10/21/2011 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber, it's hard on internals the bullet acts as a sort of shock absorber.

Avoid the "idiot" scratch. Get your slide stop almost lined up perfect, then push in when assembling the gun, don't ride it up into place or you will end up with the "scratch"

Find the mags that work best in your gun and stick to them, it will save you from having a ton of different mags. For me, it's Wilson Combat 47D's

Other than that, shoot the hell out of it like it was designed for and enjoy your 1st 1911!
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af280/ruffstcok/Colt%201911%20Series%2080%20Gold%20cup%20trophy/DSCF2318.jpg

damn i was an idiot and didnt even know it!!! slight minor, barely noticeable,,,but still!!!  
Link Posted: 10/21/2011 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I field stripped my new 1911 for the first time today and I almost made that mistake.... caught myself and laughed about it.

they're definitely not as easy to disassemble as my p2000
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 2:28:51 AM EDT
[#12]
"... but do not drop a round in the chamber and let the slide slam on it, only chamber a round from a magazine."

True. The extractor is not designed to snap over the rim of a pre-chambered round. A round from the magazine comes up from underneath and is caught by it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 2:47:09 AM EDT
[#13]
enjoy!

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I field stripped my new 1911 for the first time today and I almost made that mistake.... caught myself and laughed about it.

Actually,  after doing it a couple hundred times,  I think it is a whole lot easier!  Its all about technique.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#15]
resist the temptation to detail strip the frame- unless something breaks or needs replacement there is absolutely no reason to do it. see far more problems than solutions when people detail strip.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:06:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Find the mags that work best in your gun and stick to them, it will save you from having a ton of different mags. For me, it's Wilson Combat 47D's

isn't that everybody's 1911?
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn too slow, pic is worth a thousand late posts.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!!!

That curved scratch on the slide near the slide lock lever you see occasionaly from people jamming the slide lock/take down lever into the hole and gouging the finish when they reassmble the pistol.

just bought a used springfield with that scratch on it
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Don't start randomly swapping a lot of parts to "customize" it.

Changes should be made in order to address a problem with performance or ergonomics.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Changes should be made in order to address a problem with performance or ergonomics.

aka change the grips and or the sights...if it works, don't touch it, its already as it should be

ETA: extended slide and magazine releases are ok too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chip McCormicks and Springer stock work quite well.

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Factory colt mags work fine in mine along with an arched mainspring housing.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]
so manually chambering a round in an internal extractor 1911 is a no no?

I'm a 1911 noob as well and need to know what NOT to do to my new beauty.

edit: just found out it's not good on most guns to manually chamber a round then let the slide come down on it.  I think i may have done this a few times on my HK. won't be happening anymore
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually,  after doing it a couple hundred times,  I think it is a whole lot easier!  Its all about technique.

lol there's just no way. i'm sure i'll get better at it soon and it'll become second nature. but with my HK it's literally pull the slide back a bit and pop out the slide catch.. off comes the slide and then you can take the recoil spring/guide rod out as one in a little pull and then the barrel just pulls up and out... boom...field stripped.

i hit my dog with the recoil buffer end thing on my kimber TWICE yesterday as it went shooting across the room. lmao
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#24]

1. The "idiot scratch" is irrelevant.

2.  Don't drop the slide on an empty chamber.

3.  Don't drop the slide on a round that is already in the chamber.

Beyond that, become familiar with the controls, shoot it a bunch, and get proficient with the pistol.

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Just FYI -  you can avoid all these problems about safety and ND and not letting the slide drop without a mag/round...etc....etc...etc... by getting a glock

With that said if you want accuracy in a ccw thie 1911 is awesome as is the trigger especially when modified.  Train to drop the safety so you dont forget it when you really need it.

OK let the fire begin

Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#26]
what's the consensus on manually cocking your 1911?

IE. using your finger and not racking or short sliding it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#27]
On the idiot scratch....there is a great pic in this post of what one looks like.  When you line up your slide stop to push it back in...put your other thumb right where you see the scratch in the photo....that'll keep the slide stop from slipping down and accidentally giving you one from the other direction...it also helps force the slide stop into the correct position.
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I do this for dry fire
Link Posted: 10/22/2011 11:11:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Good for dry fire, NOT good for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
On the idiot scratch....there is a great pic in this post of what one looks like.  When you line up your slide stop to push it back in...put your other thumb right where you see the scratch in the photo....that'll keep the slide stop from slipping down and accidentally giving you one from the other direction...it also helps force the slide stop into the correct position.

10-8 Armorer's Tool, $7.95.  No more marks.  JD
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dry fire is fine.

Issue is you can damage the sear nose over time degrading the trigger pull.  It only really matters on a bullseye or hardball gun with a good target trigger. On the rack grade gun or pretty much most of the 1911's people own have at it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

edit: just found out it's not good on most guns to manually chamber a round then let the slide come down on it.  I think i may have done this a few times on my HK. won't be happening anymore

Why should this suprise you??? In what manual of arms would you find it ncessary to manually load a round in the chamber and then drop a slide on it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should this suprise you??? In what manual of arms would you find it ncessary to manually load a round in the chamber and then drop a slide on it?

In the 1911 field manual it states to load the pistol to full capacity, in the least amount of steps the single load one round into the chamber, close the slide, and insert a full magazine.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its easier to just drop a round in the chamber release the slide and then insert a full magazine.  This is how I used to do it, until I learned the error of my ways.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its easier to just drop a round in the chamber release the slide and then insert a full magazine.  This is how I used to do it, until I learned the error of my ways.
The original specs called for spring steel extractors, so that you could load like that.  It's also why the extractor has a angle cut to it, and the chamber has a relief cut to let the extractor snap over chambered rounds.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Pay attention to this.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#37]
NEVER carry a 1911 with a round in the chamber and the  hammer down/un-cocked.

The other rules are mostly cosmetic or relate to unnecessary wear/parts failures. "de-cocking" a loaded 1911 will get someone hurt/killed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 4:52:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The other rules are mostly cosmetic or relate to unnecessary wear/parts failures. "de-cocking" a loaded 1911 will get someone hurt/killed.

This! Simply eject the magazine first, then rack the slide to get the round out of the chamber, and make sure it extracted. A .45ACP ball or HP will travel through a lot of walls/floors/ceilings before it stops on a ND/AD. I read the manual 4 or 5 times when I got my first SA 1911 years ago and it was eye opening in the operation of a 1911, especially coming from Glocks to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This! Simply eject the magazine first, then rack the slide to get the round out of the chamber, and make sure it extracted. A .45ACP ball or HP will travel through a lot of walls/floors/ceilings before it stops on a ND/AD. I read the manual 4 or 5 times when I got my first SA 1911 years ago and it was eye opening in the operation of a 1911, especially coming from Glocks to me.

+1, as I mentioned earlier, the 1911 is a VERY user intense pistol it doesn't help you out with ANYTHING from a manipulation standpoint.

Link Posted: 10/25/2011 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Insert a full magazine.  
Drop the slide to load a round.  Thumb safety on.
Drop the magazine, load a round in it to top it off.  
Insert the full magazine.
Holster. Conceal. Or not.
Go about daily business.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I did not know about the "letting the slide slam home with an empty chamber" business.  I am going to stop that all together.  Still without my idiot scratch on my RIA, but who knows its still newish
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#42]
All this nonsense just to carry a 1911?

No thanks, Glocks and Berettas work just fine AND you can safely drop the slide on a loaded chamber with both weapons.

I still dont understand why people insist on carrying antique firearms like the 1911. Save yourself a lot of headache and hassel and spend your hard earned money on something modern.

Unless you are looking for nostalgia leave the 1911s to target shooters and the mid-life crisis sufferers.

This isn't GD, Fixed - SGB

Link Posted: 10/26/2011 12:44:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Thats some fine trollin there lou................
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Way back when I got my 1st generation GSP, the instructions that came with it from Gunsite were very clear:
Hold the trigger to the rear every time  the slide goes forward.
If you let the hammer / sear behave as they would during normal cycling, the engagement angle on the sear hooks does not get hammered (literally).
The underlying assumption was that the user knew and understood the manual of arms for the 1911, as well as the 4 Rules.

Things have changed over the past 25 years.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Insert a full magazine.  
Drop the slide to load a round.  Thumb safety on.
Drop the magazine, load a round in it to top it off.  
Insert the full magazine.
Holster. Conceal. Or not.
Go about daily business.

100% this

Link Posted: 10/26/2011 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
All this nonsense just to carry a 1911?

No thanks, Glocks and Berettas work just fine AND you can safely drop the slide on a loaded chamber with both weapons.

I still dont understand why people insist on carrying antique firearms like the 1911. Save yourself a lot of headache and hassel and spend your hard earned money on something modern.

Unless you are looking for nostalgia leave the 1911s to target shooters and the mid-life crisis sufferers.

This isn't GD, Fixed - SGB

Without attempting to feed a troll, you shouldn't drop the slide on a loaded round with a Glock or Beretta either.  Chipped extractors is an issue, even on modern guns.

Link Posted: 10/26/2011 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We have a winner!

Quoted:

No problem with it and is how I show people that don't have a lot of strength to cock their guns.  Cock the hammer and the slide becomes much easier to rack.
Link Posted: 10/26/2011 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Chip McCormicks and Springer stock work quite well.

Yep, I use both and both are flawless in mine.  I prefer the CM mags, because my Springfield mags don't have the rubber floorplates.  Other than that, function seems to be about the same with the slight reliability edge to the CM's.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 7:35:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Put away the Dremmel tool!
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Way back when I got my 1st generation GSP, the instructions that came with it from Gunsite were very clear:
Hold the trigger to the rear every time  the slide goes forward.
If you let the hammer / sear behave as they would during normal cycling, the engagement angle on the sear hooks does not get hammered (literally).
The underlying assumption was that the user knew and understood the manual of arms for the 1911, as well as the 4 Rules.

Things have changed over the past 25 years.

That is just unaceptable.  So you're going to train yourself to hold the trigger to the rear when you reload the gun? And what happens when you do that in the middle of a fight because you're shaky and scared and you get the order wrong ie: drop slide then pull trigger?  If you have to learn a weird manual of arms like that, then use another gun.

Anyway I've personally spoken to nationally know bullseye shooters who know the 1911 very well and asked this question: what about holding the trigger back when you drop the slide to protect the sear?  I was told "Bullshit, if they told me that I wold tell them to send it back to the gunsmith to make it right, that is not a necessary procedure."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top