Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 7:42:19 PM EDT
I bought a Springfield Model GI a couple years ago, but now I am looking to make it my project 1911. I'm new into 1911s, and started very basic by replacing the wood US grips with some Ergo's I picked up from LT.

My next move is replacing the barrel. I absolutely love a 1911 with the chrome barrel. Couple questions.

1. Has anyone replaced the stock Model GI barrel with a chrome one? Does it look good with that flat black finish of the gun?

2. Is replacing the barrel as easy as ordering the new one and just swapping it out?

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You're going to want to find a gunsmith to do that work for you.

Otherwise, you will need to learn the system.  1911 barrels are not drop in parts, and require fitting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:00:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Otherwise, you will need to learn the system.  1911 barrels are not drop in parts, and require fitting.

+1, well anyone worth purchasing.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:41:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Odds are that your current barrel is fine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Send your barrel out to be chromed? A lot cheaper than a new one I'd imagine. I would have a smith check the barrel bushing too after chroming, maybe custom fit a new tighter one in it to improve accuracy. The chrome plate might just tighten up the stock one enough as well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Anybody know a good 1911 gunsmith in Maryland?

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not just send it to the springfield custom shop?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Odds are that your current barrel is fine.

+1  In my experience most 1911 barrels, especially the stock GI barrels are pretty damn good.

If accuracy is what you're after, a fitted match bushing, or an EGW "custom" bushing would prob be a better idea.

You might be able to have it hard chromed or something, if the stainless/chrome look is all you're after.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#8]
If the look is all you're after, polish the finish off the barrel hood.   You're not screwing with the barrel fit and you're not out any money.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Shiny look polish it.

Better accuracy try a EGW bushing and get some sharp files.  Not good enough, try Kart EZ fit barrel kit.  Not a drop fit but they do some of the hard work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why not just send it to the springfield custom shop?

I just looked into that.  Looks a little pricey compared to some other places I've seen online, but you get what you pay for, right?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#11]
So, which re-finish service listed on the Custom Shop worksheet will chrome the barrel?

I didn't see it anywhere on the worksheet.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/custom.php

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So, which re-finish service listed on the Custom Shop worksheet will chrome the barrel?

I didn't see it anywhere on the worksheet.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/custom.php

Thanks.[/quote
I was under the impression you wanted to change the barrel so i suggested springfield.  I could be wrong but  i think their match barrel is stainless
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:31:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Keep it simple and polish it. #0000 steel wool or crocus cloth for the final polishing.
A light coat of oil will keep it from rusting.

It will look better that chrome IMO,

a-bare
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shiny look polish it.

Better accuracy try a EGW bushing and get some sharp files.  Not good enough, try Kart EZ fit barrel kit.  Not a drop fit but they do some of the hard work.

This.  My Spingfield shoots very tight groups, just by switching to an EGW bushing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top