Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2011 11:33:37 AM EDT
"Thinking" about SOB carry for my S-70 Colts. 1957 model has target sights and 1975 has stock sights. I know there are pros and cons on this type of carry but what else do I have to spend my mad money on except more fodder for the Dillon. Already have hip, thigh, chest and shoulder rigs.  
I have two questions: Inside or outside of the pants? Do you grasp the butt with back of hand against your back?
Seems like most photos I have seen show the gun with the butt up. My arm/wrist just won't go there.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
SOB sounds comfortable for driving but if needed for action I don't think it would be good.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have tried SOB for my 1911 and Glock and I can't stand it. It only works for me when I am standing/walking, sitting down is when it prints like crazy and is uncomfortable for me.

That being said, I always carried mine the same way it would be on my right side, with the safety and mag release against me and the ejection port on the outside(i'm right handed, so is the gun) so it sat the same way just at my 6 o clock instead of 3 or 3:30
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a couple approaches:

1) A more or less normal weak side holster located in the small of your back
2) A small of the back holster that carries the pistol with the slide almost parallel to the belt with the grip pointing upward. (I can post a picture if you need one)

There are pros and cons to both, but with both it is difficult to draw without sweeping yourself or others so if you go that route you need to practice and be very solid on the fundamentals in terms of keeping your finger out of the trigger guard until safely pointed downrange, etc.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:08:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Galco SOB years ago for my Glock 26 and hated it. always pulled down and annoyed the heck out of me when i sat. I can't see it being better with a 5' 1911.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:11:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried SOB once.  It was with a 1911.  I don't know if the holster wasn't great, but I did not enjoy it at all.  It was not comfortable and did not offer an ergonomic draw.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Spend your cash on a better strong side holster and belt.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Crossbreed holster.

It's easy to slide it back or foward.    I carry SOB if I'm walking standing alot.  Conceals best there.     If I'm sitting I'llmove it from 5-6oclock to 3-4oclock.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Chances are,
You will never know what a mistake carrying anything but strong side shallow is until it's too late.

Shallow meaning lightly concealed. One quick grab of shirt.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Chances are,
You will never know what a mistake carrying anything but strong side shallow is until it's too late.

Shallow meaning lightly concealed. One quick grab of shirt.

Agreed.  You don't see a lot of people carrying SOB, especially the pros, for a very good reason.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:41:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Stop already, I think I can take the hint. Leave SOB carry for TV and Movies. Thanks for your replies. With all these negative vibes I may just go back to my leather / flapped GI holster and a canvas web belt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at the Galco Avenger holster.  Strong side, straight drop.  High quality.  Comfortable for all day long carry.  Get a high quality belt to and single or double mag carrier match the holster and get busy wearing it.  If leather isn't your thing, try the Blade-Tech SRB holster with a matching mag carrier and a Wilderness Products belt.  Both those set-ups are great ways to carry a full-size 1911 all day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top