Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2011 4:00:14 PM EDT
Okay, I know I'm going to get dumped on by the "real" 1911 gunners, but I can't find a reference to it anywhere else.  I bought it at the local gunshow this past weekend.  My intent was to purchase a full size 1911 style pistol to use as a training gun for my my wife, daughter and grandson.  And it is the same size, shape and weight as a .45, and the damn thing shoots better than 95% of the .45s that I've fired.  From a bench at 25 yards––not feet, but yards––I shot several sub one inch groups with CCI minimags.  And this is with the stock gritty trigger and my old eyes!  I fired over 300 rounds without lubing or cleaning the pistol and experienced no failures.  I only had two 12 round mags, but I fired 100 rounds as quickly as I could load the mags––no failures!

I have to admit that I was taken in by the Colt name and logo, and only upon closer exam after purchase did I realize that it was actually co-made by Umarex and Walther.  But Colt did let them use their name.  If it holds up to 8000 or 10,000 rounds, I'll be quite happy.  Has anyone else shot this pistol??
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt has nothing to do with it, aside from tarnishing their name by licensing its use to Umarex.  It is a pot metal gun comparable to the airsoft and CO2 guns Umarex makes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
It holds 12 rounds?
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe the Colt is a clone of the GSG 1911 and Sig 1911 22 rimfire.  Just curious how much you paid for the Colt 22 rimfire?
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The Colt 1911-22 is not the same as the GSG/Sig 1911-22.  I own a GSG and have seen the Colt up close.  Love my GSG (only holds 10 rds).  But I might get a Colt too.

Don't let anyone discourage you about getting a "pot metal" (zamak) 1911-22 gun.  These two offererings are probably the funnest guns you can bring to the range.  I've got an aluminum Kimber Rimfire Target also, but only shoot the zamak GSG.  If you can afford to own a steel .22 and the zamak 1911's, then by all means try one.  You won't be disappointed.  (I would discourage you from getting a zamak Chiappa/Puma though.... They're not as well crafted as the GSG/Sig or the Colt zamaks)
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
It  may be made by Umarex/Walther, but the one I bought certainly isn't pot metal.  Colt screwed the pooch when it cancelled the Colt .40 (made by the under-rated company CZ), abut I don't think it hurt its name with this little pistol.  Shall we slander Walther, also.  I also thought they were a quality firearms maker?  I can't speak to the type of steel, but it IS steel.  And again, damn accurate and, after several hundred rounds, hasn't missed a lick.  I've shot several conversions, and not one of them was dependable, and none locked back after the last round, like my little junker..  My gunsmith says it's got a pretty good trigger, too, and he's going to smooth it out a little, from the factory 6 pounds to about 4 pounds.  Yep, my mags have a 12 round capacity.  I've spent good money on worse things.

Edit:
After examining the pistol more closely, it is made in Germany by Walther, imported by Umarex, under Cot's name.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It  may be made by Umarex/Walther, but the one I bought certainly isn't pot metal.  Colt screwed the pooch when it cancelled the Colt .40 (made by the under-rated company CZ), abut I don't think it hurt its name with this little pistol.  Shall we slander Walther, also.  I also thought they were a quality firearms maker?  I can't speak to the type of steel, but it IS steel.  And again, damn accurate and, after several hundred rounds, hasn't missed a lick.  I've shot several conversions, and not one of them was dependable, and none locked back after the last round, like my little junker..  My gunsmith says it's got a pretty good trigger, too, and he's going to smooth it out a little, from the factory 6 pounds to about 4 pounds.  Yep, my mags have a 12 round capacity.  I've spent good money on worse things.

Edit:
After examining the pistol more closely, it is made in Germany by Walther, imported by Umarex, under Cot's name.

Have you slapped a magnet on it yet? I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet a couple of bucks that it ain't steel.  It is at least a Zamak (zinc/aluminum alloy, commonly referred to "pot metal" or "white metal") frame and probably slide too.  Kimber Target Rimfire ($800) and Brownings new 80% sized offering ($550-600 if you can find one) are both aluminum.  Of course I could be wrong about the new Colt .22.

Here's a decent write-up on it.    http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=86
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top