Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 3:06:03 PM EDT
I'm looking into a 1911 pistol, my first 1911 actually, but it seems that all I can seem to find for these pistols are stainless steel.  After years of shooting a Glock with it's Tenifer barrel, and various blued and parkerized .22s, the glinty-gleam of stainless steel just makes me feel....Erg...
I would prefer, were it possible, a phosphate treated carbon steel barrel, or were it possible, a chrome lined phosphate barrel.  If I can't find a pistol with anything but stainless, I'd be willing to spend the cash to have a different barrel put in, but I know next to nothing about what this entails in a 1911.

Are there any reputable manufacturers of carbon steel 1911 barrels, do any of them chrome line their bores (If somebody does I'll be tickled pink), and exactly what kind of work am I looking at for a barrel swap?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Im sure jarvis or storm lake can take care of you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Fortunately for your application, Kart uses carbon steel and his barrels take a back seat to no one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Jarvis and Storm Lake only seem to offer stainless.

Kart has what I'm looking for, except that I'd rather not have to have my barrel custom fit and then sent out for parkerizing.  He still looks interesting though and if I have to get a barrel fit, I suppose it's only an investment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe Kimber uses carbon steel barrels but leaves them in the white.   Others may, as well   I believe Colt's current barrels are SS.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
gunkote them
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Easiest way to get what you want is to just have the OEM Barrel of what ever pistol you choose Ion Bonded.

Or if you like the Glock finish...melonited(same as tenifer).
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Easiest way to get what you want is to just have the OEM Barrel of what ever pistol you choose Ion Bonded.

Or if you like the Glock finish...melonited(same as tenifer).
This. Smoked my cutter when I re-crowned my M&P barrel.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind the barrel bushing (or slide for bushing-less guns) is going to scratch ANY finish you put on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top