Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2010 8:21:36 PM EDT
I'm in the market for another 1911.

I finally managed to handle a pair of "Hi Capacity" modles, A Para Ord and a Llama. The Para is too expensive and I don't trust the reliability of the Llama, they also were asking for about 150.00 more than it was worth.

My only complaint about standard 1911 frames is that they have always felt a bit on the thin side for me., To my great pleasure however, the fat grips of the wide Hi Cap design fit my big sandwich hooks almost perfectly.

Went to another shop and found they had a hi cap Springfield Arms GI  for 570.00. I've owned a single stack GI but have no familiarity with the stagger mag versions of the 1911-A1. I plan on using it as a base for a practical carry pistol.

May I get some feedback, their reliability etc. on the Hi Cap Springfield, and their price? .

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The true 'lifeblood' of any autoloader, ESPECIALLY hi-cap 1911's, is the magazines.
I'd much rather have a Springer than a Para. They share magazines.
Plan on spending $75 plus for high-quality, tuned hi-cap mags.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You're on the right track.  For various reasons (quality, reliability, parts availability), Llama should not be considered.  

It's not unusual to run across a gently used Para for $600 or less.  I would strongly suggest sticking with the traditional 1911 single action trigger.   Not only do you get a better trigger, but it can be worked on far more readily than the LDA system.

I haven't worked with the Springfield hi-cap but my understanding is that they are a Para clone.  I don't know if their hi-cap frame is forged, but I know Para's is cast... as well as their slide.     At any rate I'd rather take my chances with Springfield over Para as far as customer service goes.   The downside of the Springfield is that it only comes in GI trim, so if you want a beavertail and better sights, it's up to you.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
STI or SVI.  Don't bother with the rest when it comes to high-cap 1911s.

And the width of the 1911 frame is a good thing, I have huge hands as well and I have learned to appreciate the size of a 1911 grip compared to the plastic fantastic grips.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And the width of the 1911 frame is a good thing, I have huge hands as well and I have learned to appreciate the size of a 1911 grip compared to the plastic fantastic grips.

The STI guns start at about $1000 over the OP's budget.  The Para-style guns certainly have their share of warts, but for the OP, that's about his only option outside of something like the BUL / Kimber polymer framed guns.

The Para / SA guns, in addition to suffering all the afflictions of cheaply-built 1911s, are also saddled with a doublestack mag that can be problematic.   The good news is that most of the typical 1911 problems can usually be addressed fairly simply when and if they appear.  And as pistolwretch states, it is possible to get tuned, reliable mags if you don't mind spending some money.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I wanted to thank you gentlemen for your input. I just got back from putting the Springer on lay away and already have contact information for a well regarded local pistol smith to do any upgrades once I'm ready to start tweeking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The STI guns start at about $1000 over the OP's budget.

Since he didn't state a budget I assumed too much.  I agree, if I simply HAD to have a double-stack and money was an issue, I'd probably look at Para, but with the negative reviews of Para I've read (buy it for $800 and spend $800 getting it to run reliably)...I rather buy once and cry once.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:31:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The STI guns start at about $1000 over the OP's budget.

Since he didn't state a budget I assumed too much.  I agree, if I simply HAD to have a double-stack and money was an issue, I'd probably look at Para, but with the negative reviews of Para I've read (buy it for $800 and spend $800 getting it to run reliably)...I rather buy once and cry once.

I have a Para P-14 that I picked up a few years ago for around $500.  It has run flawlessly with everything I've fired through it.  The only issue I've had with mine was replacing the recoil spring.  One of the main probs with Para hi-caps is the magazines.  I use Mec-Gar mags with mine, and I've never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a para 18-9 hi cap.  Love it and shoot it often.  Very mild 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I cracked 3 of the SA high Cap frames with Factory 230 fmj. All in a non stress area, all in the same place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top