Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 6:21:15 PM EDT
2 came loose in two weeks.  First in the Valor, now in the S & W... Come to think of it the Colts was loose at the end of the season last year.

Real happy w/ the smith as I won a match with it this week, just tore it down for a cleaning & the ejector pulled right out, pin was nowhere to be found.

Just a PSA & a pain in the ass. Keep an eye on them.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:26:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Weird.

Try loctite on the ejector feet perhaps? I did that to my Operator (which wasn't pinned from the factory) and had it drilled and pinned since.   No issues several thousands rounds later....
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, apparently niether of these were done.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Red loctite................
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1!

Mine has lasted for 20 years!

Thanks,

Don-S1
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Part of the problem with loose or broken ejectors is that many manufacturers are using cast or MIM parts.

An ejector machined from bar stock seldom gives any problems after being properly installed.  Properly installed, an ejector needs no Loctite, and in fact, if the ejector does break a pin you're screwed on getting the broken part out even using heat.

An ejector is one of those parts that should last forever, but the makers have to cut costs to stay competitive, thus the MIM or cast parts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The one in the Kimber I used to own had a little wiggle develop in it. My curse at one time was plunger tubes on Colts. Stupid ass wrap around grips and a shitty factory staking job would be my guess to blame them on though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Black Max
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#8]
When I de-MIMed the S & W I did not change the safety or the ejector,  the order is in for an EGW unit & the problem should be solved.

3 guns in less than a year though... gonna form the next one out of JB weld.  Probably last forever.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#9]
The pin didn't go anywhere [because it can't] it was never installed in the first place. It's funny, my "old timey" 1911s have NEVER had this type of issue. The only reason the pin is in the in the first place is so the ejector doesn't fall out when you take off the slide. If it's not a snug fit, [pin or not], it's going to rock slightly and break a leg. The pin helps a bit but cheap drop in parts made a bit small so they fit in any holes drilled [or drilled slightly off] are the real problem.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Upon closer inspection, half is still there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top