Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 2:02:22 PM EDT
I was poking around here and found some info that took me to a 1911 custom web site and saw this picture and was wondering what is this in the rail between the slide and frame? I'm guessing they're trying to tighten the frame to slide fit and somehow welded wire/rod to the frame rail and then milled the slide rail to make a better/tighter fit? Anyone ever seen this before ... sorry if this is n00b question ... I'm still learning.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.acc-u-rail.com/
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
You've got the right idea on what it does, the name just isn't coming to me right now though ...

I did read around about it a while and most reports said it was kind of a gimmick.  I can't say that's the case since I've not seen one in person.

ETA: Beat me to it
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://www.acc-u-rail.com/

Ah ha that's interesting ... thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You've got the right idea on what it does, the name just isn't coming to me right now though ...

I did read around about it a while and most reports said it was kind of a gimmick.  I can't say that's the case since I've not seen one in person.

ETA: Beat me to it

Ya .. I was king of wondering if it was the latest greatest gimmick ... It's a good idea I guess if you had a really loose frame to slide fit gun I guess.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
i saw accurails once on a IPSC full blown race gun which probably had in excess of 30,000 rounds through it.

IPSC gus are some of the few dudes capable of wearing out a gun and this mod seems to work pretty well for them to extend firearm life without a loss in accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:03:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was poking around here and found some info that took me to a 1911 custom web site and saw this picture and was wondering what is this in the rail between the slide and frame? I'm guessing they're trying to tighten the frame to slide fit and somehow welded wire/rod to the frame rail and then milled the slide rail to make a better/tighter fit? Anyone ever seen this before ... sorry if this is n00b question ... I'm still learning.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/gatorhunt2201/Website2-1.jpg?t=1283723727

Thank GOD my 1911's have no room for anything of any size to be added between the frame & slide :)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss19/gatorhunt2201/Website2-1.jpg?t=1283723727

Thank GOD my 1911's have no room for anything of any size to be added between the frame & slide :)

haha,
the frame and rail are modded to accept it (it is pretty pricey too).

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:32:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i saw accurails once on a IPSC full blown race gun which probably had in excess of 30,000 rounds through it.

IPSC gus are some of the few dudes capable of wearing out a gun and this mod seems to work pretty well for them to extend firearm life without a loss in accuracy.

Metal is metal, and all of it will wear, eventually.  Wear is based on the on the hardness of the metals bearing on eachother, the weight that they're bearing on eachother, the lubricity of those metals, and any outside lubrication.  A match fit frame and slide that have been hard chromed, and are properly lubricated will go alot more than 30,000 rounds.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha,
the frame and rail are modded to accept it (it is pretty pricey too).

HaHa...I'll just buy a new one before adiing that  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]
It's an effective way to restore a tight frame-to-slide fit.  Most commonly seen on comp guns.  The nice thing about it is that you can replace the rails when they wear down, so you can keep a tight fit a lot longer than a traditional slide/frame interface.   I don't know how useful that really is, since with enough rounds through the gun, the slide will usually crack sooner or later.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Notice it's on a Colt...Well, at least a gun with Colt Delta Grips.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
For those who don't know, Accu-rails have been used for years by action and bullseye shooters to tighten up the slide to frame fit. It's cheaper and easier to fit a set of these rails then it is to weld up the other parts and the start from scratch. I know a few shooters who have worn out multiple sets of these rails, but it takes a lot of rounds (50k+) to do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top