Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 4:41:25 PM EDT
I have some mags that do not seam to feed very well, and I want to clean them to see if it helps.   The bottoms are welded, so does that mean I can not take them apart?   Also, what do I clean them with?   They are stainless, so can I just soak them in HOT soapy  water?   Do I have to lube them up/ spray them down with anything?   Please advise!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it's time for new mag springs. When cleaning and I hardly ever do. I use cloth from okd t-shirts lightly sprayed with some sort of gun oil in spray form. Hot soapy water works if you remove follower and spring.  Clean then dry. Spray lightly with oil and wipe clean with cotton cloth.

Seriously, sounds like time for new mag springs. I replace my 12/24/7 carry mag springs once a year.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
btw; did you get your Father's reloading press up and running ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
push the follower down.
Stick something in a hole in side of mag to hold the spring down.
Tip it upside down and  get the now loose follower out of the mag
Take out what you have holding spring down, carefully.
Take spring out.

Then you can clean it however you like. Pay attention to which way the spring go`s in and how the follower sits on the spring.

reverse the procedure for reassembly
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

btw; did you get your Father's reloading press up and running ?

No, I didn't––I got sidetracked helping a friend learn how to load rifle rounds.   I also found a large stash of 45 acp and 9mm reloads.   These had some FTF, so I bought some case guages and lee FCD dies.   The guages help me find the problem cases, and the FCD helps me fix them.   The loadmaster is something I am still looking into fixing, but time and money have been diverted for the time being!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me know by IM or E-mail, [email protected] if you need more help than the tuning thread left. It takes a week end of quiet to get one up and running.

MidwayUSA or Brownells are my sources for mag springs.

Best Regards. smiff out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a dirt problem one day at an IDPA match and a fellow shooter came over with a 1911 mag cleaning brush.

He just stuck the shaped brush in the mag, held it upside down gave it a couple strokes and all was well in the world.

I have no idea where he got it though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have some mags that do not seam to feed very well, and I want to clean them to see if it helps.   The bottoms are welded, so does that mean I can not take them apart?   Also, what do I clean them with?   They are stainless, so can I just soak them in HOT soapy  water?   Do I have to lube them up/ spray them down with anything?   Please advise!

All I do is add just a little oil from time to time.unless I droped them in mud or sand.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#10]
UPDATE:   I cleaned all my mags, and today I went to the range and all of the mags fed 100%.  Thanks for the help.   I never knew you could take the 1911 mags apart, and I sure am glad I asked.   I HAVE to get me some of those MAG brushes next time I goto a gun show/decent gun store/or place an order with Midway.

Those sure would be easier to use than a toothbrush.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All I do is add just a little oil from time to time.unless I droped them in mud or sand.

.......... magazines should not be lubed, they should be run dry and clean.

What he said
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top